QB Talk Once Again.... sigh

JetsandI

Really dont want Jimmy G.  Worried about his arm strength and he tends to flick/float the ball with his wrist a lot watching his highlights.  I worry how those factors play with our weather.  

Lamar is going to be a $40m guy I dont see it any other way.  With his arm strength and our receivers than can be lots of offensive production.  He has only played 12 games each of the last 2 years due to injury which concerns me considering he loves to run.  Dont get me wrong his running ability opens up additional offensive opportunities but also lands him in the trainers tent.

Carr is curious.  I dont think he is that bad but not that great.  If oakland had a better defense I wonder how he would be viewed.  Some of his throws are beautiful but then I see some balls that are underthrown or off target and force the recipe to break stride costing the receiver YAC.  

If the Jets are serious about developing Wilson I cant see it being Lamar.  I dont think they dump wilson because of the cap hit.  

The 4 qbs I think they look at will be Carr, Tannehill, Mayfield and probably Jimmy G.  

Mayfield I think can excel in the correct system.  But I don't think he will be the guy if they are trying to develop Zach.  So my guess is either Carr or Tannehill.  Really should just call Alex Smith.  He grooms young QBS well.

The Question is this, if a viable QB option falls to the Jets at 13 will the Jets grab him? Do the Jets trade down with an other team and take the chance that they will potentially allow a future talent to slip through their corporate fingers.

Do they trade down. as GM I trade down especially if 2-3 T, G, C, are within my grasp.

Its abundantly clear the Jets have to address the line. So allow me to play armchair GM, if the Jets sign a Carr or Garrapolo, etc. 

Can they keep the current guys on the OL ? My answer is no, Tomlinson is gone, Lawson is gone, the Center is gone. This will free up millions and allow the Jets to draft a T, C, to go with ATV and Becton and pay for the new QB.

1 hour ago, Big T said:

The Question is this, if a viable QB option falls to the Jets at 13 will the Jets grab him? Do the Jets trade down with an other team and take the chance that they will potentially allow a future talent to slip through their corporate fingers.

I think the Jets WILL NOT draft a first round QB.  We are in win now mode, therefore, a vet QB to start from day 1 is most likely.  Since that is the case, drafting a QB in round 1 is a waste of draft resources since we need to protect our new starting QB.  Look for OL in round 1.  We may pick a day three QB with talent but needs to sit for a couple of years.

Letting a talent slip through their corporate fingers is kind of funny.  We have drafted first round talents for years.  How did that work out?  What does corporate even mean?

It doesn't matter because if those qb veterans are good for temporary right now.  In general, if Stroud falls onto Jets' pick then they take him or trade that pick for good return.

However, whether or not JD will cede the plan for Wilson as qb of the franchise remains unseen.  We won't know until the draft is complete.  I would put drafting qb debate on the back burner until umm, say, after the combine.

1 hour ago, xrade said:

I think the Jets WILL NOT draft a first round QB.  We are in win now mode, therefore, a vet QB to start from day 1 is most likely.  Since that is the case, drafting a QB in round 1 is a waste of draft resources since we need to protect our new starting QB.  Look for OL in round 1.  We may pick a day three QB with talent but needs to sit for a couple of years.

Letting a talent slip through their corporate fingers is kind of funny.  We have drafted first round talents for years.  How did that work out?  What does corporate even mean?

I agree with you 100% that the Jets will address the OL in the first round and probably a T, but I wouldn't rule out a G if a blue chipper is there. The Jets are a corporation, they are a business, and they are in the business of entertainment.

The exception being that it is a sport as opposed to another entertainment venue. 

But getting back to the draft, do you think the Jets could pass on a ILB if one of the blue chippers is available and grab a T in round 2. This draft is deep at tackle, guard, and c.

Bills fan here! Hopefully I don't step on any toes, but I'm incredibly intrigued by the Jets roster for the foreseeable future. The biggest missing piece is obviously the most important piece which is a solid QB. 

In my mind- I can see the Jets becoming like the 49ers of the AFC. It's going to be difficult for your squad to find a franchise QB, which isn't unique to the Jets at all, so go find an above average QB. I would say Carr is your best option. 

The price may be a bit steep since he is an above average QB who likely has some good years left in him (he's *only* 31), but I really believe if the Jets can get a solid QB who can play within the system, get the ball to his playmakers, and rely on a stout running game + elite defense to win games- then the Jets will be a PROBLEM next year. 

Again, I'm just incredibly intrigued by the Jets roster, and believe there are better days ahead for your franchise, but if Douglas/Saleh continue to put faith in Wilson- I fear that'll hold the Jets back from become a solid playoff team. 

• Like 1

On 1/13/2023 at 9:15 AM, WizeGuy said:

Bills fan here! Hopefully I don't step on any toes, but I'm incredibly intrigued by the Jets roster for the foreseeable future. The biggest missing piece is obviously the most important piece which is a solid QB. 

In my mind- I can see the Jets becoming like the 49ers of the AFC. It's going to be difficult for your squad to find a franchise QB, which isn't unique to the Jets at all, so go find an above average QB. I would say Carr is your best option. 

The price may be a bit steep since he is an above average QB who likely has some good years left in him (he's *only* 31), but I really believe if the Jets can get a solid QB who can play within the system, get the ball to his playmakers, and rely on a stout running game + elite defense to win games- then the Jets will be a PROBLEM next year. 

Again, I'm just incredibly intrigued by the Jets roster, and believe there are better days ahead for your franchise, but if Douglas/Saleh continue to put faith in Wilson- I fear that'll hold the Jets back from become a solid playoff team. 

Maybe Adrian Martinez can be our Brock Purdy in 2023. lol

• 3 weeks later...

The more I look at the next few years with an unknown with ZW and the uncertainty of having a solution at the QB position.

It makes all the sense in the world to bring in competition to the QB room. It doesn't necessarily mean that we draft a QB with the number 1 pick. But drafting one say in the 4-5th round may not be so unimaginable as we might think.

Even if we are able to get a 2-4 year rental in the form of Jimmy G, AR, or Carr, the young guns will still be in their prime and the Jets will find themselves in the same predicament they are in today. 

So don't poo, poo, the Jets looking for a long term solution unless they are convinced that ZW can be salvaged and with the right coaching become a good QB. 

On 2/3/2023 at 4:17 PM, WheatieMan said:

You go all in like McVay did and Saleh is on his last year or two anyhow... trade two 1st rounders for Rogers, including 13, so long as they can address the O-line. It's a no brainer. Wilson can learn from the best.

The Rams / Jets situations were a little different though. And ZW doesn't strike me as the mentee type, especially for 2-3 seasons.

2 hours ago, NYRaider said:

The Rams / Jets situations were a little different though. And ZW doesn't strike me as the mentee type, especially for 2-3 seasons.

ZW is like 12 years old and has two years of awful rookie play - so he needs to be the mentee-type or he's going to be the unemployed-type.