QB Talk Once Again.... sigh

JetsandI

Just now, NJerseypaint said:

ZW is like 12 years old and has two years of awful rookie play - so he needs to be the mentee-type or he's going to be the unemployed-type.

He definitely shouldn't be starting, I just don't see him as someone that'd be thrilled to be a backup. It might be in the Jets best interest to try and trade him if they're able to land Rodgers. Bring back Mike White as the primary backup. 

1 minute ago, NYRaider said:

He definitely shouldn't be starting, I just don't see him as someone that'd be thrilled to be a backup. It might be in the Jets best interest to try and trade him if they're able to land Rodgers. Bring back Mike White as the primary backup. 

Who's taking him and his contract though. This isn't like Darnold where we got value bc he had decent play just nothing around him and a poor system for him. Wilson has no excuses for his poor play. 

Just now, NYRaider said:

If they trade him because he wants to start, then his trade value is going to be 0.

I don't see it being a problem though. He wants to be successful and he's already shown a rapport with/respect for Rodgers, so no reason not to keep him on the roster since his ceiling is still way higher than a guy like MW.

Just now, NJerseypaint said:

If they trade him because he wants to start, then his trade value is going to be 0.

I don't see it being a problem though. He wants to be successful and he's already shown a rapport with/respect for Rodgers, so no reason not to keep him on the roster since his ceiling is still way higher than a guy like MW.

I disagree, we've seen guys like Darnold, Rosen, etc. fetch some value after being pretty meh to start their careers. Being a young, highly drafted QB still holds value around the league. 

The issue that I see is if you're trading for Rodgers then you have to be pretty confident he'll be around for 2-3 more seasons. You have to make a decision on Wilson's 5th year option next summer and it would potentially kick in the same year that Rodgers cap hit sky rockets. If he's in a backup role I'm assuming you have to decline his option so there's a pretty good chance he walks in free agency in 2 years.

1 minute ago, NYRaider said:

I disagree, we've seen guys like Darnold, Rosen, etc. fetch some value after being pretty meh to start their careers. Being a young, highly drafted QB still holds value around the league. 

The issue that I see is if you're trading for Rodgers then you have to be pretty confident he'll be around for 2-3 more seasons. You have to make a decision on Wilson's 5th year option next summer and it would potentially kick in the same year that Rodgers cap hit sky rockets. If he's in a backup role I'm assuming you have to decline his option so there's a pretty good chance he walks in free agency in 2 years.

Darnold had very good games under very suspect coaching despite his "seeing ghosts" game. And Rosen was sent away after a year under another terrible regime as a total question mark.

No one has ZW as a question mark. Everyone watched him totally breakdown this season and a career backup win over the locker room and the fans. There's no value to him unless you have a starting QB on the roster and think he can be developed, so why not here?

If he ends up killing it on his 5th year option and we end up having to overpay/tag for a QB we should have extended then that's great for us. Otherwise, his trade value will probably be the same as it is now.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NJerseypaint said:

Darnold had very good games under very suspect coaching despite his "seeing ghosts" game. And Rosen was sent away after a year under another terrible regime as a total question mark.

No one has ZW as a question mark. Everyone watched him totally breakdown this season and a career backup win over the locker room and the fans. There's no value to him unless you have a starting QB on the roster and think he can be developed, so why not here?

If he ends up killing it on his 5th year option and we end up having to overpay/tag for a QB we should have extended then that's great for us. Otherwise, his trade value will probably be the same as it is now.

Do you pick up the 5th year option when there's also the possibility that Rodgers is still playing for you though? Would be a crazy amount of $$$ invested at QB.

2 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Do you pick up the 5th year option when there's also the possibility that Rodgers is still playing for you though? Would be a crazy amount of $$$ invested at QB.

If Rodgers is still playing in 3 years and we're constantly in the running for the SB, then that becomes a tough question - and (again) a problem we'd be glad to have. But if Rodgers is hanging them up or this experiment has failed, then Zach might be the only QB we are paying.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Rosen fetched a 2 + because he was in year 2 and the Cardinals started over. Wilson pretty much deteriorated his stock this year. I can see a team maybe trading a 4th round pick for him at most. 

In regards to getting any veteran, if they are here starting for 2 years, Wilson will never see the field aside for injury unless the 3rd QB beats him out which is also not impossible. There is no chance his 5th year option gets picked up after how poorly hes played and then coupled with not seeing the field for two years. If they bring in a veteran, Wilson is essentially a sunk cost.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ekill08x said:

Rosen fetched a 2 + because he was in year 2 and the Cardinals started over. Wilson pretty much deteriorated his stock this year. I can see a team maybe trading a 4th round pick for him at most. 

In regards to getting any veteran, if they are here starting for 2 years, Wilson will never see the field aside for injury unless the 3rd QB beats him out which is also not impossible. There is no chance his 5th year option gets picked up after how poorly hes played and then coupled with not seeing the field for two years. If they bring in a veteran, Wilson is essentially a sunk cost.  

That makes sense but with all of that in mind do you feel comfortable with Wilson as the primary backup?

28 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

That makes sense but with all of that in mind do you feel comfortable with Wilson as the primary backup?

If Rodgers is the starter then 100% yes I feel good as ZW as the backup and I hate ZW.  Everyone on this board knows I hate him as the QB. I wanted Darnold to be the QB and trade the #2 pick for a boat load. The only reason I would keep ZW as the backup ONLY if Rodgers was the QB is that ZW loves Rodgers. ZW grew up being a Rodgers fan and reporst are out that him and Rodgers talk a lot on the phone. I think Rodgers has changed his attiude about not wanting to mentor the younger guys. Why would he still be talking to ZW and spend this time with him if he did not want to help out the younger guys. 

2 minutes ago, jetfuel34 said:

If Rodgers is the starter then 100% yes I feel good as ZW as the backup and I hate ZW.  Everyone on this board knows I hate him as the QB. I wanted Darnold to be the QB and trade the #2 pick for a boat load. The only reason I would keep ZW as the backup ONLY if Rodgers was the QB is that ZW loves Rodgers. ZW grew up being a Rodgers fan and reporst are out that him and Rodgers talk a lot on the phone. I think Rodgers has changed his attiude about not wanting to mentor the younger guys. Why would he still be talking to ZW and spend this time with him if he did not want to help out the younger guys. 

If Rodgers misses time you'd feel comfortable with him starting? And I think it's different mentoring young guys in the league vs mentoring a young guy that your team drafted to replace you. I do think he'd be okay with Wilson on the team though just because he'd be entrenched as the starter regardless.

No. If the plan is to “win now” then Zach Wilson absolutely should not be the backup. If they bring in Rodgers it’s clearly to win now so you need a better backup than ZW.

Backup QB should be able to manage the game if called upon and take care of the easy stuff. That is not Zach Wilson, at least up until this point. 

Edited by GangGreen420
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, NYRaider said:

Honestly, no. I was all for drafting Wilson at 2. I was wrong. If Rodgers is here I do feel more comfortable. If we end up with Jimmy Garoppolo I think we should really consider looking at a guy like Hooker if he falls to the 3rd or even very late 2nd I wouldn't mind moving up. In terms of Zach though, he hasn't even really shown he's even a quality backup. I think being around Rodgers everyday would help him but then its also nearly impossible to extend him for anything other then minimal money until he proves he can consistently do it in a real game. Clearly I am torn. He has soooo much to work on, seeing the field, processing his progressions at more than a snails pace, executing when pressured and climbing the pocket. Those are all in addition to actually throwing accurately. So right now, no I think we absolutely need another QB with upside in addition to the veteran. 

23 minutes ago, GangGreen420 said:

No. If the plan is to “win now” then Zach Wilson absolutely should not be the backup. If they bring in Rodgers it’s clearly to win now so you need a better backup than ZW.

Backup QB should be able to manage the game if called upon and take care of the easy stuff. That is not Zach Wilson, at least up until this point. 

well said

If the Packers don't completely tear it up, which they should if they trade Rogers, then they certainly won't take Wilson in the deal. But it's going to cost you two 1st round picks. And Rogers is a 1 year rental... maybe 2 if they get to the AFC Championship minimum. If you look at the Manning trajectory in Denver, he lost in the playoffs twice in the divisional round and once in the SB before winning it in year four. Rogers doesn't have that kind of time with the injuries and arm strength waning. But he's still worth a mid to high 1st and a late 1st if things go as planned. 

GB would likely have to give up 4 1st round picks to get into the top 1-3 if there is a QB there they like.