QB Talk Once Again.... sigh

JetsandI

15 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Age + acquisition cost will likely be a lot so I kinda get it. But man Carr is nothing special. He'd be an upgrade of Zach Wilson but seeing fans (Not Jets specifically but online in general) touting Carr as a stud will be disappointed when he's asked to play good teams or in cold weather.

I've always been indifferent on Carr but I hope he fails now and quite frankly rather see him as a Jet than Saint.

So you quite frankly are saying you want the Jets to fail? ;)

32 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Age + acquisition cost will likely be a lot so I kinda get it. But man Carr is nothing special. He'd be an upgrade of Zach Wilson but seeing fans (Not Jets specifically but online in general) touting Carr as a stud will be disappointed when he's asked to play good teams or in cold weather.

I've always been indifferent on Carr but I hope he fails now and quite frankly rather see him as a Jet than Saint.

As Jet fans, any QB that can step off a curb without falling will be an upgrade over what we have had in what feels like a millenium.  So for us, Carr is Brady, Manning (pick one, I don't care), Montana, Brees and Marino rolled up into one package.

In reality, Carr will be an upgrade over what we have and have had for a while.  This team would have been in the playoffs with even mediocre QB play.  If Carr can give us that, and I am betting he can plus more, we should be playoff bound this year.  If you compare Carr to Tannehill and Jimmy G as the other options not named Rodgers, he is probably a bit better than them.  But either of the three will still be an upgrade.  Rodgers is also an upgrade and could be the best of the bunch except for his age and his hints at retirement in the off season.  Couple that with his contract and he is the riskiest for this team as far as sustainability goes.  Plus we have to hope his down 2022 was because of anything but him.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, xrade said:

As Jet fans, any QB that can step off a curb without falling will be an upgrade over what we have had in what feels like a millenium.  So for us, Carr is Brady, Manning (pick one, I don't care), Montana, Brees and Marino rolled up into one package.

Carr is above average, he has games where he looks like a top 10 QB and then he'll turn around and have 2 terrible games against bad teams. He's just super inconsistent and always seems to fade as the season progresses. I think the biggest thing in New York though would be that he'll be able to play with an elite defense after playing with below average to terrible defenses throughout his career. 

6 minutes ago, JetsandI said:

Seeing how Carr wants the ability to audible and how much Hackett let Rodgers take control when needed, I see that part working at least

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, bcb1213 said:

Seeing how Carr wants the ability to audible and how much Hackett let Rodgers take control when needed, I see that part working at least

I am sure Hackett let Wilson take the rein on the offense.  It didn't work out and it prompted Hackett to relinquish calling duty to whoever he was. 

All qbs are different.  It is difficult to earn confidence for OC/QB situation at the moment.

2 minutes ago, JetsandI said:

I am sure Hackett let Wilson take the rein on the offense.  It didn't work out and it prompted Hackett to relinquish calling duty to whoever he was. 

All qbs are different.  It is difficult to earn confidence for OC/QB situation at the moment.

I agree, but I also don't think he's gonna tell his QB he's not alllowed to audbile like McDaniels generally does

Derek Carr continues to scare the bejeesus out of me, and I am not even sure I understand why. 

I think I just see the combination of Carr and Hackett as a recipe for disaster. I think my QB wish list whittled down to two once Hackett was hired: Rodgers and Jackson.

I think it is because I have little faith in Hackett as a play caller, and I think everybody is justified in thinking that way. Plus, in the back of my mind I feel like he was hired only because he has ties to NJ and his dad was our OC once upon a time. 

Rodgers thrived with him, so there is hope there. Jackson is just a ridiculous talent in his prime, and his offensive strengths are not overly complicated. So I think it could work out nicely with either superstar.

Anyone else? 🤔

Just now, Jag68Sid87 said:

Derek Carr continues to scare the bejeesus out of me, and I am not even sure I understand why. 

I think I just see the combination of Carr and Hackett as a recipe for disaster. I think my QB wish list whittled down to two once Hackett was hired: Rodgers and Jackson.

I think it is because I have little faith in Hackett as a play caller, and I think everybody is justified in thinking that way. Plus, in the back of my mind I feel like he was hired only because he has ties to NJ and his dad was our OC once upon a time. 

Rodgers thrived with him, so there is hope there. Jackson is just a ridiculous talent in his prime, and his offensive strengths are not overly complicated. So I think it could work out nicely with either superstar.

Anyone else? 🤔

Lamar has regressed over the last two seasons and is likely going to cost at least 3 FRPs plus a $250-300M contract fully GTD. 

8 minutes ago, GangGreen420 said:

There’s a decent amount of Jets fans that do not care about this or his injuries. 2019 Lamar is long gone.

I think Lamar can still return to form but it's a huge gamble when you have to give up 3 FRPs + additional draft capital and give him the biggest contract in NFL history.

14 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Lamar has regressed over the last two seasons and is likely going to cost at least 3 FRPs plus a $250-300M contract fully GTD. 

Agreed. Not to mention Jacksons combined rushing and passing rarely eclipse what Carr throws for each year. Lamar is severely overrated. Great athlete but nowhere close to being worth the money he wants plus the picks the Ravens want for him. I guarantee they don't even get the 2 FRPs when they fail to negotiate a deal.