QB Talk Once Again.... sigh

JetsandI

5 minutes ago, ekill08x said:

Minshew torched us last year with a bad Eagles team. Torched us the year before with a bad Jags team. He is good enough to start in this league. 

There’s a difference between being good enough to start and good enough to lead a winning team. Signing minshew as the answer is a guarentee to put your team in purgatory as far as I’m concerned

Minchew is very White-esque just in a smaller package.  The reason is Minch isn't starting is because he was stuck on awful Jags teams and he's not a prototype.  Teams would rather try and mold the Zack Wilson's because of talent then to hand the keys to a solid QB in Minch because they worry about the Alex smith ceiling.

Right now we have enough weapons and a top defense that a QB like White or Minch who may never be able to break into the top 5 QBs because of physical limitations are good enough to win deep into the playoffs.  It's really hard to win a Superbowl but with solid average QB play we have a good a shot as any this year.

We can do much worse than Minchew as your starter.  He's a career 63% comp, over 3:1 TD:INT ratio, 7+ YPA, and 90+ QB rating.  As a 6th round rookie on a bad Jags team he completed over 60%, 21 TD, 6, INTs, with 7.0 YPA and 3,200+ yards.  Plus he offers more with his legs than White.

Why again won't we want a guy who is 27 can step in and complete around mid 60% comp with 3:1 TD/INT ratio and 7+ YPA.  I mean that probably gets you in the 10-15 range as a QB over a full season.  If Mike White shows the rest of the year in bigger games against MIN, BUF, MIA coming up that he can be that guy then great but his INT% is still a huge question as to if he can get it down low enough while still making the throws down field.  INTs are huge for whoever we have under center and Minch has show he can make plays and protect the ball, White is still trying to figure the ball protection part out.

If we can find a way to land Rodgers for 2-3 years I say you do it.  This team is locked and loaded for a Superbowl but if not I'd much rather Minch over Jimmy G.  Rodgers moves the needle, maybe Carr would as well but not sure any others do over White. 

I'd move Zack for a 4th-5th to a team looking for a reclamation project and go into next year in a battle with White/Minch with Strevler as 3rd string unless Rodgers is an option without destroying the team depth.

Edited by Rockice_8

Just now, Bobby816 said:

White is a FA so if he shows out the rest of the year... he wont be cheap.

I'm fine with this. He balls out he will get a good pay but not crazy pay. He will probably get around 20-25 mill a year and I'm fine with that. He brings us to the Super Bowl then ya you have to give him what he wants. Remember he likes it here in NEW YORK and it would be hard for him to run after working so hard to get where he is. The Jets gave him that chance no one else did. 

29 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

White is a FA so if he shows out the rest of the year... he wont be cheap.

If he continues to play well and gets us to the playoffs, won't be a issue. 

I'm not sure what White's physical limitations are? He is 6'5, has a big arm, and is good enough throwing on the move. Minshew is small, only 6'1.  Most important factors in a QB are the hardest to figure out, mental capacity and leadership. White has thrown for over 200+ yards in every game he played, besides the Colts when he got injured, if he didn't get hurt he was going to throw for 350+ yards 3-4 TDs IMO. 

The fact the Jets feel more comfortable opening up the offense with White than Wilson is alarming. White knows how to play within the scheme, I do not think he is a fluke, I believe he will play well the rest of the way. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rockice_8 said:

Minchew is very White-esque just in a smaller package.  The reason is Minch isn't starting is because he was stuck on awful Jags teams and he's not a prototype.  Teams would rather try and mold the Zack Wilson's because of talent then to hand the keys to a solid QB in Minch because they worry about the Alex smith ceiling.

Right now we have enough weapons and a top defense that a QB like White or Minch who may never be able to break into the top 5 QBs because of physical limitations are good enough to win deep into the playoffs.  It's really hard to win a Superbowl but with solid average QB play we have a good a shot as any this year.

We can do much worse than Minchew as your starter.  He's a career 63% comp, over 3:1 TD:INT ratio, 7+ YPA, and 90+ QB rating.  As a 6th round rookie on a bad Jags team he completed over 60%, 21 TD, 6, INTs, with 7.0 YPA and 3,200+ yards.  Plus he offers more with his legs than White.

Why again won't we want a guy who is 27 can step in and complete around mid 60% comp with 3:1 TD/INT ratio and 7+ YPA.  I mean that probably gets you in the 10-15 range as a QB over a full season.  If Mike White shows the rest of the year in bigger games against MIN, BUF, MIA coming up that he can be that guy then great but his INT% is still a huge question as to if he can get it down low enough while still making the throws down field.  INTs are huge for whoever we have under center and Minch has show he can make plays and protect the ball, White is still trying to figure the ball protection part out.

If we can find a way to land Rodgers for 2-3 years I say you do it.  This team is locked and loaded for a Superbowl but if not I'd much rather Minch over Jimmy G.  Rodgers moves the needle, maybe Carr would as well but not sure any others do over White. 

I'd move Zack for a 4th-5th to a team looking for a reclamation project and go into next year in a battle with White/Minch with Strevler as 3rd string unless Rodgers is an option without destroying the team depth.

I am with you on everything but I am not as on board with Rodgers for 2 reasons...his contract is insane and there is no way we can not cut Davis, Lawson, and Mosley and then not sign a single free agent. He is also turning 39 and while still excellent, it also would cost us a ton of picks to get him. I am on board with Jimmy G, Minch, or a lesser veteran and well see what happens with Mike White. 

Also think I would move Zach at a similar cost. To maximize this roster ability and QB I agree with trying to move his guarantees but I would also look to drafter a developmental QB who we let sit for a few years and see if we catch fire or potentially have a very good backup. 

48 minutes ago, ekill08x said:

I am with you on everything but I am not as on board with Rodgers for 2 reasons...his contract is insane and there is no way we can not cut Davis, Lawson, and Mosley and then not sign a single free agent. He is also turning 39 and while still excellent, it also would cost us a ton of picks to get him. I am on board with Jimmy G, Minch, or a lesser veteran and well see what happens with Mike White. 

Also think I would move Zach at a similar cost. To maximize this roster ability and QB I agree with trying to move his guarantees but I would also look to drafter a developmental QB who we let sit for a few years and see if we catch fire or potentially have a very good backup. 

Totally agree I don't want to gut the team for A-Rod.  There are ways to do roster gymnastics though and go all in by deferring money so if we think we can do that and keep the team together and open a 3 year window with A-Rod it's worth kicking the tires on.  

We'd have to be in the KC/BUF conversation at that point.  

Realistically though give me a White / Minch QB comp next year and I'll be happy.

• Like 1

On 11/28/2022 at 1:01 PM, Rockice_8 said:

Totally agree I don't want to gut the team for A-Rod.  There are ways to do roster gymnastics though and go all in by deferring money so if we think we can do that and keep the team together and open a 3 year window with A-Rod it's worth kicking the tires on.  

We'd have to be in the KC/BUF conversation at that point.  

Realistically though give me a White / Minch QB comp next year and I'll be happy.

I'd take that and add an athletic round 2 QB like Anthony Richardson. Would be hoping for him to become our version of Hurts but I should know better than to try and replicate other team's formulas after many of us thought ZW would be Mahomes 2.0. 

42 minutes ago, jetjuice said:

I'd take that and add an athletic round 2 QB like Anthony Richardson. Would be hoping for him to become our version of Hurts but I should know better than to try and replicate other team's formulas after many of us thought ZW would be Mahomes 2.0. 

I think they should take a guy like rattler in the later rounds as well. Kid was talked about as the #1 OA pick once upon a time and has been playing really well lately after a few bumps along the way. 

5 minutes ago, Mattmanz said:

I think they should take a guy like rattler in the later rounds as well. Kid was talked about as the #1 OA pick once upon a time and has been playing really well lately after a few bumps along the way. 

We have the tightest locker room we've ever had. That kid is a straight up @$$hole. I want nothing to do with him. NY would eat him alive. Shame too because he has a very talented arm. Wanted to like him so much watching QB1 but even though it was clear he has an attitude problem it really showed in college as well. He would be far from my first choice. Guys like that get their guy broken in locker rooms. Took Geno a long time to get that. Let Rattler figure that out somewhere else. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, ekill08x said:

We have the tightest locker room we've ever had. That kid is a straight up @$$hole. I want nothing to do with him. NY would eat him alive. Shame too because he has a very talented arm. Wanted to like him so much watching QB1 but even though it was clear he has an attitude problem it really showed in college as well. He would be far from my first choice. Guys like that get their guy broken in locker rooms. Took Geno a long time to get that. Let Rattler figure that out somewhere else. 

I would tend to agree here but he would be coming in with a very low round tag on him. This team would put him in his place really fast. I also don't want to hold things these kids did years ago when they where 18 and 19 years old. 

• Like 1

Devin Leary enters transfer portal.   Would be nice to have him for backup role.

Michael Penix Jr will return to Washington. With those young trio WRs, I shall expect UW to take college playoff spot next year.

Jimmy G broke his foot and is out of season. umm.