QB Talk Once Again.... sigh

JetsandI

48 minutes ago, GangGreen420 said:

White/Minshew/Wilson next year.

I just don’t know if the money would work between White and Minshew in a QB battle

If we pay White we probably roll with White Wilson and a PS guy. We wont sign someone else. QB battle in camp and best man wins and if that guy struggles... next man up.

We're not going to pay White AND pay a vet as well and have a 3 man competition. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ukjets21 said:

I don't see why we wouldn't consider cutting him if he wasn't improving.

Because GM's loathe giving up on high picks so quickly unless there was a coaching change that required it (Arizona) or, as in the case of Cleveland, they traded for a far superior starting QB.

15 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

If we pay White we probably roll with White Wilson and a PS guy. We wont sign someone else. QB battle in camp and best man wins and if that guy struggles... next man up.

We're not going to pay White AND pay a vet as well and have a 3 man competition. 

Wilson shouldn't be in the competition... He's effectively a PS guy we're stuck to for a sunk cost fallacy.

Looks like Wilson will be the backup this week. I think we all wanted this. I still think Wilson is trash but at least he can hand the ball off and hold onto the football when he gets sacked. I still don't see Wilson as the starter unless he has a total 180 on everything he has done over the offseason. I just don't see a QB starting out this bad and getting good. Josh Allen was not even as bad as Wilson. I do want to draft a QB this year. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ukjets21 said:

Wilson shouldn't be in the competition... He's effectively a PS guy we're stuck to for a sunk cost fallacy.

Just like how Q was a sunk cost and should have been traded? 

Why the heck are people in such a rush to throw players away?

ZW was raw and unpolished coming out of college, right? The expectation was that there were going to be transitional issues, right? Now that he is going through those issues and having struggles that were expected.... suddenly it's time to abandon development and just throw away assets?

Seriously, it was the same talk last off-season about Quinnen...

It's the same short sighted approach we've take with every single QB we've drafted in the post Pennington era. Pennington worked because we drafted him, sat him, surrounded him with talent and veteran leaders and let him grow. That's the path to success but everyone refuses to do it anymore and is then stunned when the young high upside QBs we draft done have instant success.

24 minutes ago, drew39k said:

Just like how Q was a sunk cost and should have been traded? 

Why the heck are people in such a rush to throw players away?

ZW was raw and unpolished coming out of college, right? The expectation was that there were going to be transitional issues, right? Now that he is going through those issues and having struggles that were expected.... suddenly it's time to abandon development and just throw away assets?

Seriously, it was the same talk last off-season about Quinnen...

It's the same short sighted approach we've take with every single QB we've drafted in the post Pennington era. Pennington worked because we drafted him, sat him, surrounded him with talent and veteran leaders and let him grow. That's the path to success but everyone refuses to do it anymore and is then stunned when the young high upside QBs we draft done have instant success.

Yeah there is no way Zach is getting cut. Only way he is gone is if a team offers a day 2 pick for him just to get his salary off the books and that is if they truly feel like they'll never get him to where they need him. I highly doubt this happens though.

Scenario 1: Mike White finishes the year playing well and the team gets to a minimum 10-7 (with or without this being good enough for playoffs)

2023 QB room: Mike White/Zach Wilson/Day 3 QB with upside to sit 

Scenario 2: Mike White struggles and we go 1-3 or 2-2, or he even plays just average but we miss the playoffs

2023 QB room: Veteran FA/Zach/Day 3 QB 

I think if Mike White is a ? by the end of the season, we have no choice but to bring in someone we feel more comfortable with. We can't pay MW, Zach AND a FA. We are strapped with the cap as it is. This scenario may allow us to bring MW substantially cheaper but if they are unsure of him after 4 more games I think they have to move on. There is always the tougher scenario where he plays really well and we just can't find a way to win (wins are a team stat for those of you who have forgotten). Then it get trickier.

Now I am not a betting man, I have the Draft Kings receipts to prove it lol, but if I was AND I was actually good at it, I would put my money on Mike White - Zach Wilson camp competition while they develop a late round rookie at the same time. Its the other cap gymnastics that are going to get interesting. Douglas has proven he can find talent in the draft, now lets see how he adjusts the cap. FAs have exactly been great overall, but he does a good job of getting second tier guys and having outs immediately if they don't work out. I like this approach. Teams let them go for a reason. 

Getting Zach out of a stressful playing environment and into a learning environment can end up doing more good. You don’t always need the reps especially when mechanics blow. He needed a step back to reset. Now he can go into camp fresh and (hopefully) motivated to beat out White. 

Practice doesn’t make perfect. Perfect practice makes perfect. If his game reps continue to be trash he won’t improve. 

9 minutes ago, GangGreen420 said:

The gaping hole at QB is really going to hurt this rebuild

If Mike Can’t Show he’s to stop gap I’d sign Jimmy G then draft a guy round 2/3 Anthony Richardson and Hendon Hooker are guys I wouldn’t be against 

13 minutes ago, GangGreen420 said:

The gaping hole at QB is really going to hurt this rebuild

I strongly disagree here. Mike White has turned it on. If he would have played the whole game the Jets win that game against Bills. If you watch him play even Romo was pointing it out the things that a NFL QB has to do and what Wilson does not do. White was just about to let the ball go and Mims was just about to turn and look at him. He also gets the ball out at a crazy rate of 2 seconds or just under it. That is pretty darn fast. Then you add in the VERY tight windows he is throwing into. Then Romo even pointed out a play where the WR (I think it was GW) made a cut to the outside and White had the arm to throw the other way outside the numbers. I get why you might hate a guy but to say the Jets don't have a QB is just crazy talk. If White would have played all is games last year and this year he would be over 300 yards ever game he played in. He is also a good leader and this team loves him big time. Then you add he is 6' 5" too and has good ball placement. I get he is not the athletic guy that can take the ball and run but those guys NEVER have long careers and you need a QB hat can throw. 

11 minutes ago, jetfuel34 said:

I strongly disagree here. Mike White has turned it on. If he would have played the whole game the Jets win that game against Bills. If you watch him play even Romo was pointing it out the things that a NFL QB has to do and what Wilson does not do. White was just about to let the ball go and Mims was just about to turn and look at him. He also gets the ball out at a crazy rate of 2 seconds or just under it. That is pretty darn fast. Then you add in the VERY tight windows he is throwing into. Then Romo even pointed out a play where the WR (I think it was GW) made a cut to the outside and White had the arm to throw the other way outside the numbers. I get why you might hate a guy but to say the Jets don't have a QB is just crazy talk. If White would have played all is games last year and this year he would be over 300 yards ever game he played in. He is also a good leader and this team loves him big time. Then you add he is 6' 5" too and has good ball placement. I get he is not the athletic guy that can take the ball and run but those guys NEVER have long careers and you need a QB hat can throw. 

To say the Jets don’t have a QB is “crazy talk?” Lol ok. 

Listen I’m one of the biggest Mike White supporters and think he has excellent intangibles, but there’s still a lot of questions if he can be the guy. IF he isn’t, then we are in trouble.

26 minutes ago, Dr.O said:

If Mike Can’t Show he’s to stop gap I’d sign Jimmy G then draft a guy round 2/3 Anthony Richardson and Hendon Hooker are guys I wouldn’t be against 

Yeah I like that idea just don’t know if I’m going to commit to Jimmy G. He’ll be expensive. I like Richardson a lot as a guy to develop