Paxton to Start - Let the bid for the Bottom Begin!

jsthomp2007

I could see him playing decent.

1) We're clearly tanking the season, so there's really not a whole lot of pressure on him to perform short term. (Although he will need to show something if he doesn't want Elway to draft his replacement)

2) He'll be running a simplified offense, and won't be asked to think so much. 

3) The Raiders have a pretty poor secondary.

If we run an offense like I described in another thread I think he'll be okay. McCoys system, empty backfields, rapid progressions and multiple reads will be a disaster.

Give the kid something he can do and let him play. Don't ask him to be manning/Rivers................  It just won't work!

Just now, AKRNA said:

If we run an offense like I described in another thread I think he'll be okay. McCoys system, empty backfields, rapid progressions and multiple reads will be a disaster.

Give the kid something he can do and let him play. Don't ask him to be manning/Rivers................  It just won't work!

Speaking of Rivers, I remember there being talk of trading for him a couple seasons ago..Too bad that never materialized. I hate Rivers, but would LOVE him as a bronco.

9 minutes ago, 1234567 said:

I could see him playing decent.

1) We're clearly tanking the season, so there's really not a whole lot of pressure on him to perform short term. (Although he will need to show something if he doesn't want Elway to draft his replacement)

2) He'll be running a simplified offense, and won't be asked to think so much. 

3) The Raiders have a pretty poor secondary.

Agree this is as soft a landing as he can start out with.  Still not expecting much.  Looked awful in preseason when the D are playing base D with no blitzes or exotic looks.  He’s going to have to be a lot better to even be mediocre most weeks.  Just this matchup might be the easiest of all the games left.  

If the Raiders had kept DC Ken Norton I’d be really worried we could win this game.  It will still be close.  But we can still keep the dream alive for a top 5 pick lol. 

It's about as good a matchup as Paxton could reasonably hope for. Honestly, the schedule until the end of the season is fairly soft secondary wise, so we could get a real feel for how good he can be. I'm not expecting much. He'll probably make a couple 'wow' throws, but I'm not getting too excited about his long-term prospects. Maybe I'm wrong and he blows up, but I'm worried about it being fools gold.

27 minutes ago, broncos67 said:

It's about as good a matchup as Paxton could reasonably hope for. Honestly, the schedule until the end of the season is fairly soft secondary wise, so we could get a real feel for how good he can be. I'm not expecting much. He'll probably make a couple 'wow' throws, but I'm not getting too excited about his long-term prospects. Maybe I'm wrong and he blows up, but I'm worried about it being fools gold.

Gotta love everything about him, but the intangibles and the gray matter between the years, which unfortunately accounts for about 80% of a quarterbacks success in the NFL.  

Archived