O-Line Talk: “LT, What Are They Even Good For?”

MOSteelers56

I see a lot of discussion about upgrading the o-line. I completely agree. It’s been a real weak point for the last couple years. Even in the recent good years our run blocking was never really that special. I am just curious to get some opinions on which spot is needed? 

The LT position has been called the second most important position on offense, but is that truly the case now? In the Lawrence Taylor days, sure. But now with the game as it is, is the LT position worth investing a lot into? Pass rushers come from all over the defense now. TJ rushes against the RT most of the time. So how vital is even having a blue chip LT? Is our future sending Kenny on 7 step drops or a quick intermediate passing game with a quality run game? I’d rather the latter and I assume most everyone else agrees.

Looking next at the interior spots. I would assume upgrading the LG/C spot could help us jumpstart the run game more than LT. I think more and more emphasis is on the interior line. Look at what happened to the run game when Cole went out. Najee was getting chunks up the gut, Cole goes out, that stops. Could have been play calling, could have been Cinci’s adjustments, could have been Cole. 

I don’t really follow the rest of the NFL as much as I used to, but doesn’t it seem like the really high flying offenses don’t have elite level LTs? Orlando Brown is nothing special for KC. I know Slater is a stud for the chargers, but they seem to be muddling along. Trent Williams is a beast, but he seems almost like the exception now. Either way, this is an extremely long form way of asking what the heck we should do to address the line. 

Just my .02

1)) Cole is slightly above average and Daniels is above average…Chuks is so where in between…those 3 aren’t going anywhere…very slight chance they move away from those guys.

2)I know Brown isn’t elite but he’s 25 and even good LTs hardly ever make it to Free Agency…you’re going to have to give him top 3 LT $$$($20 mill per) but the Steelers salary cap is fine and the only major FA this year or next is Highsmith.

3)Thers some decent OGs in free agency and far as I know, No Decastros or Martins types in this draft.

Id overpay for Brown in FA and see if I could snag on OG with one of my 2 early  2nd rounders.

If not, long as they take care of at least 1 of LT/LG in free agency before the draft I’d be ok.

Id also be ok with throwing a mid round pick on an Interior swing guy for depth and maybe long term Cole/Daniels replacements.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, AFF said:

Just my .02

1)) Cole is slightly above average and Daniels is above average…Chuks is so where in between…those 3 aren’t going anywhere…very slight chance they move away from those guys.

2)I know Brown isn’t elite but he’s 25 and even good LTs hardly ever make it to Free Agency…you’re going to have to give him top 3 LT $$$($20 mill per) but the Steelers salary cap is fine and the only major FA this year or next is Highsmith.

3)Thers some decent OGs in free agency and far as I know, No Decastros or Martins types in this draft.

Id overpay for Brown in FA and see if I could snag on OG with one of my 2 early  2nd rounders.

If not, long as they take care of at least 1 of LT/LG in free agency before the draft I’d be ok.

Id also be ok with throwing a mid round pick on an Interior swing guy for depth and maybe long term Cole/Daniels replacements.

Agree with a majority, but I’ll add I’d be 100% fine with only getting Brown and pushing Moore to LG. Save the picks for other spots of need. 

• Like 1

I’ve heard good things about Vorhees from USC for early guards. It would be nice to spend in FA a little to fix up the o-line as we have a rookie deal QB, but I’m not sold on paying Brown big bucks. Chiefs fans are pretty out on him from what I hear in this neck of the woods. There are some really interesting looking centers in this draft. Fairly big guys too. One from Minnesota, Wisconsin, Arkansas, and Georgia. They could all play LG next year, then take over for Cole the year after. 

48 minutes ago, warfelg said:

Agree with a majority, but I’ll add I’d be 100% fine with only getting Brown and pushing Moore to LG. Save the picks for other spots of need. 

I know you’ve mentioned that before but my thought was maybe making Moore the main swing tackle at the next 2 years of his cheap rookie deal.

Solid depth with experience and wouldn’t kill you if you need him for a month due to injury.

53 minutes ago, AFF said:

I'm 6 of one, half dozen of the other on Brown. 

I firmly believe that the OL in todays game is not about smashing the ceiling, but raising the floor. We are on our way of doing that, but need to address LG and LT for sure. I think Brown fits that mold but I always have two things for FA: 1) you pay A+ money to B+ players and 2) most guys are reaching their second (in this case third) team for a reason. 

I contradict myself a bit by also believing that I this O-Line needs a dude. I think the most likely path to that is the draft, however. But if they did sign Brown at least it's an above average dude and you can (generally) find starting G's in the mid-rounds. 

I don't dislike Brown, but the Chiefs have Patrick Mahomes. If they don't think that's the guy to protect the #1 franchise player in the world, something makes me throw up red flags. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Dcash4 said:

most guys are reaching their second (in this case third) team for a reason. 

I feel Browns situation isn’t one of those for the bad. Baltimore wanted to move him back to RT after Stanley’s injury and he asked to go somewhere to play LT. Chiefs just tagged him and tried to work something out and are cap strapped. 

6 minutes ago, Dcash4 said:

I don't dislike Brown, but the Chiefs have Patrick Mahomes. If they don't think that's the guy to protect the #1 franchise player in the world, something makes me throw up red flags. 

Also, sorry to double post, which Brown isn’t great Mahomes reminds me some of Rodgers in he can make a good OL look bad (I know hot take). If they move on I wonder how much it’s from Brown not being the most mobile guy and more of a run blocking LT type guy. 

10 minutes ago, AFF said:

I know you’ve mentioned that before but my thought was maybe making Moore the main swing tackle at the next 2 years of his cheap rookie deal.

Solid depth with experience and wouldn’t kill you if you need him for a month due to injury.

Very reasonable take here. Maybe put him in a LG battle knowing if he loses he can be a swing tackle, and if he wins and the competition looks good, Moore kicks back to tackle in case of injury?

7 minutes ago, warfelg said:

Very reasonable take here. Maybe put him in a LG battle knowing if he loses he can be a swing tackle, and if he wins and the competition looks good, Moore kicks back to tackle in case of injury?

I’d let Moore, Dotson, and a rookie OC/OG compete for the LG job if they move to upgrade the LT spot by draft or by signing Brown.

• Like 1

C.Torrence from Florida is a helluva OG in the draft. 

The Northwestern kid (Pete Skoronski) will likely get moved to OG as well,
but he's a bit small for my taste. I'd really like to see them draft OT and OC.
The three OC - J.Schmitz from Minn, S.Van Pran from Georgia and O.Oluwatimi
from Michigan could all be really solid day 2 pick ups.

1 hour ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I’d let Moore, Dotson, and a rookie OC/OG compete for the LG job if they move to upgrade the LT spot by draft or by signing Brown.

Take Dotson out of that equation.   Guy is terrible.    Maybe decent depth guy but he has shown he has no business starting.

People are saying we should keep Cole, Daniels and Chuks, and Im not totally opposed to that, but all 3 are extremely upgradable.   Id be willing to roll with those 3 next year to improve other areas, but I dont think we should get too comfortable with any of them.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Dcash4 said:

I'm 6 of one, half dozen of the other on Brown. 

I firmly believe that the OL in todays game is not about smashing the ceiling, but raising the floor. We are on our way of doing that, but need to address LG and LT for sure. I think Brown fits that mold but I always have two things for FA: 1) you pay A+ money to B+ players and 2) most guys are reaching their second (in this case third) team for a reason. 

I contradict myself a bit by also believing that I this O-Line needs a dude. I think the most likely path to that is the draft, however. But if they did sign Brown at least it's an above average dude and you can (generally) find starting G's in the mid-rounds. 

I think it may be more of a contract thing with the Chiefs…he knows the Chiefs have Mahomes for the next 10 years, he’s trying to leverage that with deal.

You over pay in FA…my thought is due to position scarcity that Brown is worth it.

Youve brought up the “no weak links” arguments before last offseason with the secondary…I understand the same concept for the OL.

My general thought was fixing LT in FA with Brown….followed by whatever you want with your top 10 in the 1st…then hitting a LG like Torrence with one of your early 2nds.

Maybe something like…

1)Ringo

2a)Torrence

2b) DL or ILB.

Just using that as an example.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, AFF said:

I think it may be more of a contract thing with the Chiefs…he knows the Chiefs have Mahomes for the next 10 years, he’s trying to leverage that with deal.

You over pay in FA…my thought is due to position scarcity that Brown is worth it.

Youve brought up the “no weak links” arguments before last offseason with the secondary…I understand the same concept for the OL.

My general thought was fixing LT in FA with Brown….followed by whatever you want with your top 10 in the 1st…then hitting a LG like Torrence with one of your early 2nds.

Maybe something like…

1)Ringo

2a)Torrence

2b) DL or ILB.

Just using that as an example.

I like that idea. We might even be able to add a quality C in the 3rd. That’s not unheard of. Ringo could be a game wrecker and really step the defense up. If we sign Brown, CB is really our only glaring weakness at a premium position. There are quality power D-linemen and ILBs to be had early in the second. This seems like a good ILB class.