Resting Players post Xmas Eve

WheatieMan

10 hours ago, DaBoys said:

A Peyton Manning/Tom Brady takes a sack/knee there instead of a 50/50 ball deep to Noah Brown no matter the play call. No way the 9 route to Noah Brown was the primary look. If your first look to get the 3rd down conversion Isn’t there, then take a sack. Don’t launch a prayer to Noah Brown, and if you do you better not throw it 4 foot out of bounds. 

Yeah, I completely agree. If it wasn’t clear, that’s exactly what I was trying to say.

Edited by Nextyearfordaboyz
  • Like 1

Fifth seed is a lock. Panthers or Bucs. With that out of the way I think we shut it down this week. Put Cooper in there and run the ball with a third stringer. Give Vraebel the game.

If Commanders need the game the final weekend, you play starters through and knock them out. But no way you play the Titans real this week.

Giants will clinch next week and have nothing to play for against the Eagles who never lose to them and certainly won't if home field is on the line.

5 minutes ago, WheatieMan said:

Fifth seed is a lock. Panthers or Bucs. With that out of the way I think we shut it down this week. Put Cooper in there and run the ball with a third stringer. Give Vraebel the game.

If Commanders need the game the final weekend, you play starters through and knock them out. But no way you play the Titans real this week.

Giants will clinch next week and have nothing to play for against the Eagles who never lose to them and certainly won't if home field is on the line.

Totally disagree. We play Thu. Wht if Hurts, Lane, and Maddox can't go for the Beagles and they lose.

We have too much to fix. Play to win the damn game. They can rest when they're 6 feet under.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, HDsportsfan said:

Totally disagree. We play Thu. Wht if Hurts, Lane, and Maddox can't go for the Beagles and they lose.

We have too much to fix. Play to win the damn game. They can rest when they're 6 feet under.

Giants and Eagles have to lose.... otherwise, Giants are resting versus Eagles. That's not a game the Giants can win more than 1/100 times.

38 minutes ago, WheatieMan said:

Giants and Eagles have to lose.... otherwise, Giants are resting versus Eagles. That's not a game the Giants can win more than 1/100 times.

Even if the division is a long shot, it’s still a possibility when we play on Thursday night.

But even if it wasn’t, they aren’t resting players for 2 weeks.

2 hours ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

Even if the division is a long shot, it’s still a possibility when we play on Thursday night.

But even if it wasn’t, they aren’t resting players for 2 weeks.

Not two weeks. I think you treat it as the second and third preseason game where starters start but are phased out and Cooper sees significant playing time. I don't think McCarthy will do it that way, but both games will be good barometers as road games. You just call off the dogs in the second half. I would try to knock the Commanders out because that's our rival. But if Prescott is out there, then the entire o-line needs to be out there, and that's scary. Those are the positions we need to protect the most.

The scheduling of the TNF game this weeks sucks for us. Unfortunately, we have to play this game because we don’t know what’s up with Hurts and some of the other players. The Saints could come to play spoiler and get the job done. We can’t rest on TNF expecting an eagles win on Sunday. If the Eagles clinch Sunday, then we have a decision to make for the Washington game. It’s unfortunate because I would’ve loved to rest our guys this game, then have them play a half or so vs Washington just to make sure they’re not cold going into the wildcard matchup.

47 minutes ago, CT Cowboy Fan said:

The scheduling of the TNF game this weeks sucks for us. Unfortunately, we have to play this game because we don’t know what’s up with Hurts and some of the other players. The Saints could come to play spoiler and get the job done. We can’t rest on TNF expecting an eagles win on Sunday. If the Eagles clinch Sunday, then we have a decision to make for the Washington game. It’s unfortunate because I would’ve loved to rest our guys this game, then have them play a half or so vs Washington just to make sure they’re not cold going into the wildcard matchup.

The Giants will clinch the sixth seed with a win home Colts next week. That means the Eagles have to win at home against a resting Giant team. We'd be banking on both the Saints and Colts on the road the following Sunday. The division is greater than 98% lost.

1 hour ago, WheatieMan said:

The Giants will clinch the sixth seed with a win home Colts next week. That means the Eagles have to win at home against a resting Giant team. We'd be banking on both the Saints and Colts on the road the following Sunday. The division is greater than 98% lost.

I highly doubt Giants test against a divisional rival where they got dominated last time they played. Cowboys and Commanders have both won against Eagles, Giants want a piece of that, they are coming to play, bank on it

10 minutes ago, textaz03 said:

I highly doubt Giants test against a divisional rival where they got dominated last time they played. Cowboys and Commanders have both won against Eagles, Giants want a piece of that, they are coming to play, bank on it

Look at the Giant record against the Sheagles the last 15 years... they are terrible. You think they have any shot f Eagles need the game? It's comical to think Cowboys can still will win the division barring a massive slew of injuries to Minshew, Brown, et Al.

1 hour ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

This is such moot point conversation. There is zero chance they rest players against the Titans. If week 18 is meaningless, then they’ll rest players and get healthy.

You either rest both weeks or you play it out. By resting, obviously starters still have to play, but you get a few series and two minute drills with the first team and then call the dogs off. Otherwise, you try to win both games with the starters. 

Again, I'd treat it as a 2nd and 3rd preseason game with the only incentive being to knock out the Commanders week 18. The Titan game on a short week is a lose lose situation. If guys aren't ready, they should be inactive at every opportunity.

2 hours ago, WheatieMan said:

Who said, or how is it safe to assume, the Giants will rest once they clinch. They're a young team and need the reps. Maybe a player or two, but certainly not a slumber party-fest rest. Evey year these convos across all the NFL teams, it's an overrated conversation fans have. 

Overall a vast majority of players/coaches want to win games no matter the circumstances. Players are inherently competitive, they want to win, always and often.

Not trying to pound on you Wheatie, I just find these "rest players" threads every year with multiple games remaining pointless. 

10 minutes ago, HDsportsfan said:

Who said, or how is it safe to assume, the Giants will rest once they clinch. They're a young team and need the reps. Maybe a player or two, but certainly not a slumber party-fest rest. Evey year these convos across all the NFL teams, it's an overrated conversation fans have. 

Overall a vast majority of players/coaches want to win games no matter the circumstances. Players are inherently competitive, they want to win, always and often.

Not trying to pound on you Wheatie, I just find these "rest players" threads every year with multiple games remaining pointless. 

Again, you don't have the depth to play it as a 80-man 2nd preseason game. But I don't see why Dak and the O-line need to play deep into the Titans game on a short week. These are the most critical positions in this team. If they get down early, do you go pass happy to win the game? No, you start running the football and punting instead of going for it in a grey area situation. Finish the game under three hours.

Edited by WheatieMan

11 minutes ago, WheatieMan said:

Again, you don't have the depth to play it as a 80-man 2nd preseason game. But I don't see why Dak and the O-line need to play deep into the Titans game on a short week. These are the most critical positions in this team. If they get down early, do you go pass happy to win the game? No, you start running the football and punting instead of going for it in a grey area situation. Finish the game under three hours.

Nah, you play to win , don’t know what happens on Sunday . If Eagles win, then rest week 18, if they lose , Cowboys have a shot, even if it’s the slimmest of chances to win the East