Rams QB Stafford may not return this season

RaidersAreOne

35 minutes ago, ILoveTheVikings said:

Yes.

A Viking fan asking that question?

I'd trade 1st round picks for even 10 years for a Superbowl victory. The Vikings have the 7th highest winning percentage in history so the bar isn't exactly low that our history sucks...We just always fail at the worst times

Knowing what is known in hindsight, I agree. I’d do that deal. Knowing that I support a team that is cursed and will find a new way to choke, I’d be very pessimistic of even considering the trade in the present. I just have bad memories of Rick Spielman trading a first round pick for Sam Bradford as if he was going to carry the team into the playoffs. 

2 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

Why would he try? There's no benefit to it.

I find this hilarious because of all the criticism you gave Kyle regarding his winning percentage with non-Garoppolo QBs.

I said at the time that it would be interesting to see McVay coach without his QB1. Now that the Rams are faced with that reality, they are folding worse than a plastic table at a Bills tailgate, and you are saying they shouldn't even try to win. LOL

Feels like those rumors about McVay retiring have legs. Dude is going to have one season where he actually faces adversity and is going to step down as HC. Hilarious 

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Trojan said:

Would Goff be welcome back to LA if Stafford retired, and Lions released Goff after drafting Bryce Young or whatever? Like on an obviously better deal than last time... or bridges burnt?

I highly doubt Stafford retires to begin with but even if he did and even if the Rams would want Goff back... Why would he want to go back? If I was a player I wouldn't exactly be in any hurry to return to the team that not only gave up on me but also paid a very high price for my replacement while doing do.

Goff already knows McVay clearly has no faith in him, why go back when you know that... Unless McVay leaves which isn't happening I can't see Goff having any interest in playing for the Rams again.

If the Lions cut Goff after this season my money would be in him ending up in either New York, Indy, or Atlanta

Edited by rob_shadows

3 minutes ago, rob_shadows said:

I highly doubt Stafford retires to begin with but even if he did and even if the Rams would want Goff back... Why would he want to go back? If I was a player I wouldn't exactly be in any hurry to return to the team that not only gave up on me but also paid a very high price for my replacement while doing do.

Goff already knows McVay clearly has no faith in him, why go back when you know that... Unless McVay leaves which isn't happening I can't see Goff having any interest in playing for the Rams again.

If theoretically that is the QB1 job available that clearly isn't immediately drafting his successor, at least in the first.

4 hours ago, N4L said:

I find this hilarious because of all the criticism you gave Kyle regarding his winning percentage with non-Garoppolo QBs.

I said at the time that it would be interesting to see McVay coach without his QB1. Now that the Rams are faced with that reality, they are folding worse than a plastic table at a Bills tailgate, and you are saying they shouldn't even try to win. LOL

Feels like those rumors about McVay retiring have legs. Dude is going to have one season where he actually faces adversity and is going to step down as HC. Hilarious 

Uh no, I criticized Kyle Shanahan for his winning percentage, period. And by criticized, what you actually mean is I said Sean McVay is the better HC, which he is. When somebody floated SF firing Kyle Shanahan earlier this season, I mocked the idea. McVay is a better HC. You're just going to have to deal with that reality, Mike Honcho.

6 hours ago, N4L said:

It’s one rule for them, another for the rest. We’ve known this for a while 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, jrry32 said:

Uh no, I criticized Kyle Shanahan for his winning percentage, period.

Riiiight, but I very accurately pointed out that Kyle wins the majority of his games when he has competent QB play. There is very obvious context to Kyle's winning percentage and making a statistical argument without proper context is a poor exercise.

And by criticized, what you actually mean is I said Sean McVay is the better HC, which he is.

Using wins as a QB stat with no context is just as silly as using wins as a coaching barometer with no context. 

Here is some additional context for you. Kyle started off his coaching career 0-9. That team set a record for most consecutive losses by 3 points or less. That team had very little talent on it. 2-14 the previous season after being torn down to the studs. That team played HARD for him every single game, but they kept losing because Brian Hoyer and CJ Beathard kept turning the ball over in the fourth quarter. Some really terrible fumbles by some terrible players. Eventually they ended the season on a 5-game winning streak. That is a good coaching job despite having a losing record on the year. 

McVay inherited a team that had a lot of talent after several seasons of high draft picks that was being held back by its coaching staff. He did a great job of turning around the franchise and getting it into the 21st century. Both are good. 

McVay is a better HC. You're just going to have to deal with that reality

For a guy who is a clearly a better HC, you'd think his record against Kyle would be better than 4-9, losing 8 of the last 9 games. 

I am interested to see how the Rams do for the rest of the season. Good coaches get the most out of their players. Good coaches get guys to buy in and play hard on bad teams. Good coaches don't just fold and lose 11 games in a row (Rams currently on a 5 game losing streak with 6 more games to play). 

Rams schedule is not challenging either - sea, lvr, gb, den, lac, sea. They should not lose all of those games (although if you could be so kind as to do the division a solid by losing to the broncos, that would be great). 

On 11/29/2022 at 5:50 PM, jrry32 said:
On 11/29/2022 at 5:40 PM, N4L said:

Does McVay win a single game this year without his starting QB? 

Why would he try? There's no benefit to it.

You can say what you want but its disingenuous to say that McVay is losing these games on purpose. He is trying his best to win football games. That is why this comment is so freaking hilarious to me. You actually believe this nonsense?? lmfao 

Enjoy last year man. It might be the last year you'll get a year like last year. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, N4L said:

Riiiight, but I very accurately pointed out that Kyle wins the majority of his games when he has competent QB play. There is very obvious context to Kyle's winning percentage and making a statistical argument without proper context is a poor exercise.

And? Kyle has a vastly inferior career as a HC. Whining that it's not fair to compare them because of QB injuries is an excuse nobody is required to take seriously.

Using wins as a QB stat with no context is just as silly as using wins as a coaching barometer with no context. 

If we don't evaluate coaches based on wins and losses, what do we evaluate them on? Hotness of their wives? Haircuts? Best dressed?

Here is some additional context for you. Kyle started off his coaching career 0-9. That team set a record for most consecutive losses by 3 points or less. That team had very little talent on it. 2-14 the previous season after being torn down to the studs. That team played HARD for him every single game, but they kept losing because Brian Hoyer and CJ Beathard kept turning the ball over in the fourth quarter. Some really terrible fumbles by some terrible players. Eventually they ended the season on a 5-game winning streak. That is a good coaching job despite having a losing record on the year. 

McVay inherited a team that had a lot of talent after several seasons of high draft picks that was being held back by its coaching staff. He did a great job of turning around the franchise and getting it into the 21st century. Both are good. 

Lawd, this is revisionist history. McVay inherited a 4-12 team that had been swept by your 2-14 49ers the previous season, a QB everybody claimed was a bust, no first round pick, and a franchise that hadn't had a winning season since 2003 or made the playoffs since 2004. He immediately turned the team and that QB around.

Shanahan, conversely, decided to choose Brian Hoyer as his starting QB for the 2017 season. And before you spew some nonsense, let's not forget that the 49ers drafted SOLOMON THOMAS at #3 overall in the 2017 Draft, passing on Patrick Mahomes (#10 overall) and Deshaun Watson (#12 overall). Instead, they opted to use a pick on C.J. Beathard in the 3rd round. 

For a guy who is a clearly a better HC, you'd think his record against Kyle would be better than 4-9, losing 8 of the last 9 games. 

Jeff Fisher had a winning record against Pete Carroll when he was the Rams HC. Who cares? McVay is 58-34 for his career. Shanahan is 46-46. 

I am interested to see how the Rams do for the rest of the season. Good coaches get the most out of their players. Good coaches get guys to buy in and play hard on bad teams. Good coaches don't just fold and lose 11 games in a row (Rams currently on a 5 game losing streak with 6 more games to play). 

Rams schedule is not challenging either - sea, lvr, gb, den, lac, sea. They should not lose all of those games (although if you could be so kind as to do the division a solid by losing to the broncos, that would be great).

Kyle Shanahan went 4-12 in 2018. Guess that rules him out as a good coach.

You can say what you want but its disingenuous to say that McVay is losing these games on purpose. He is trying his best to win football games. That is why this comment is so freaking hilarious to me. You actually believe this nonsense?? lmfao 

Enjoy last year man. It might be the last year you'll get a year like last year. 

I hope he does tank. Winning games does nothing for us.

I greatly enjoyed last year. I greatly enjoyed our Super Bowl championship. I greatly enjoyed knocking the 49ers out of the playoffs in the NFC Championship Game. Winning it all last year was more than worth the down year this year.

And if Sean McVay does retire, I'll have nothing but respect for the dude who turned this franchise around, ended our decade and a half of total ineptitude, and brought us another ring. I'll then pound the table for us to hire Demeco Ryans away from the 49ers. 😉

• Like 1

On 11/29/2022 at 9:04 PM, N4L said:

please get this narrative going that he's a quitter so that it gains national steam and he uses that as motivation to NOT retire lol

• Like 1