The Josh Jacobs Decision

RaidersAreOne

What would you do with Jacobs?  

46 members have voted

1. 1. What would you do with Jacobs?

• Re-sign him, likely for 3-4 years and top ~5-8 pay. Our O would be totally screwed without him.
    • Franchise tag him for one season, run him into the ground, then move on. We need him around but can't commit to him.
    • Let him walk, don't tie up big $ long-term for an oft-injured RB. Collect that comp pick!
    • Other

3 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

With Josh McDaniels' success with different lesser RBs almost every year he's called plays and the nature of the RB position, no way you tie up the money. 

While I agree that I would not give him a long term deal I would FT him and lock him up for one more year at 12M.  Run him until the wheels fall off then get a comp pick. He has clearly been a difference maker on a team devoid of talent so letting him walk for nothing would be foolish.

• Like 1

With Josh McDaniels' success with different lesser RBs almost every year he's called plays and the nature of the RB position, no way you tie up the money. 

McDaniels and really good RB play with new starters almost every year is like paying taxes and Mike Shanahan's Broncos teams having 1000 yard rushers. 

• Like 1

We are not going to keep him, should never pay a RB unless he is like Derrick Henry or prime AP. Plus after Jacobs season, he will now command top dollar, possibly #1 RB in the league type money (not saying he’s the #1 RB in the league, he’s no where close to that). 

However, I want to say congratulations to Josh Jacobs. He is a beast this year and has far exceeded expectations. He is playing out of his mind. Some team is going to give him a lot of money, and he has earned that payday. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

While I agree that I would not give him a long term deal I would FT him and lock him up for one more year at 12M.  Run him until the wheels fall off then get a comp pick. He has clearly been a difference maker on a team devoid of talent so letting him walk for nothing would be foolish.

I would agree if not for McDaniels' history with RBs and how often we've been spurned by big contracts lately. 

We need the money to be spent elsewhere for it to benefit the team. If we somehow got out of the bloat of Waller, Renfrow, and Jones and had plenty of spare change for an expensive one-year RB rental, sure why not.

But it's not the case, we have a lot of money and roster space tied up in RB, and the Draft/FA class is set to be pretty deep. McDaniels has made the likes of Sammy Morris and LeGarrette Blount and Stevan Ridley look like perfectly viable starting RBs a team could roll with for a few seasons. For $12m, I'll take my chances on continuing that trend.