The Josh Jacobs Decision

RaidersAreOne

What would you do with Jacobs?  

46 members have voted

1. 1. What would you do with Jacobs?

• Re-sign him, likely for 3-4 years and top ~5-8 pay. Our O would be totally screwed without him.
    • Franchise tag him for one season, run him into the ground, then move on. We need him around but can't commit to him.
    • Let him walk, don't tie up big $ long-term for an oft-injured RB. Collect that comp pick!
    • Other

8 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

We really don't need him to be the hero if D. Waller stays healthy and we add another WR.  Adams, Renfrow, Waller, and Jacobs should be a pretty formidable offense.  We just didn't have all of our weapons last season so we had to heavily rely on Adams and Jacobs.  

Either way, I honestly think he's going to end up injured next season after having carried the ball 340x and with 53 receptions.  It seems like every great RB who leads the league in rushing ends up hurt the following season.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Jerry said:

We really don't need him to be the hero if D. Waller stays healthy and we add another WR.  Adams, Renfrow, Waller, and Jacobs should be a pretty formidable offense.  We just didn't have all of our weapons last season so we had to heavily rely on Adams and Jacobs.  

Either way, I honestly think he's going to end up injured next season after having carried the ball 340x and with 53 receptions.  It seems like every great RB who leads the league in rushing ends up hurt the following season.

I don't think he'll get the same load. Zues should get a bigger roll and the QB hopefully won't be checking down as much hopefully. 

Defense would prob help too. Maybe close out some games so he doesn't have to

• Like 1

1 hour ago, big_palooka said:

I don't think he'll get the same load. Zues should get a bigger roll and the QB hopefully won't be checking down as much hopefully. 

Defense would prob help too. Maybe close out some games so he doesn't have to

I agree.  But he probably wants to be paid like he just ran for 1600 yards, not like he's about to rush for 900 yards.  The franchise tag at 10M is only okay with him if we load up on the offense, so I'm really thinking he's about to hit FA.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Jerry said:

I agree.  But he probably wants to be paid like he just ran for 1600 yards, not like he's about to rush for 900 yards.  The franchise tag at 10M is only okay with him if we load up on the offense, so I'm really thinking he's about to hit FA.

Naw, the FO loves him. He's a culture fit and they will retool the roster in a way I'm sure he will be satisfied.

QB will be the big piece that determines if he needs to play the hero. He said he knows the 3 guys they are looking at. 

• Like 1

Jacobs basically said if we give him a chance to compete for a Super Bowl he's down to take the team friendly deal. But if we're planning to run him into the ground he needs that guap. Gotta love the fact that he's transparent about that and willing to sacrifice money and long term security if it means the team has a chance to get a Super Bowl. 

• Like 1

On 2/9/2023 at 2:08 PM, big_palooka said:

Gotta love how quickly guys change their tune once negotiations become real. 

A few weeks ago he was humble and determined to remain a Raiders and it wasn't about the money. 

It's always about the money. Nothing wrong with that, either. I just find it humorous that some fans get attached to a guy who says a bunch of nice things as though they'll ever follow through on them. 

5 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

Gotta love how quickly guys change their tune once negotiations become real. 

A few weeks ago he was humble and determined to remain a Raiders and it wasn't about the money. 

It's always about the money. Nothing wrong with that, either. I just find it humorous that some fans get attached to a guy who says a bunch of nice things as though they'll ever follow through on them. 

He said he doesn’t want to play in this 30’s and wants to retire early. He knows the rb life cycle. 

1 hour ago, IdigtheRaiders! said:

Side note: If the FO does end up doing a tag-and-trade with Jacobs, who are the most likely trade partners and what could we potentially get?

This is one of the best RB classes ever but it looks like Saquan / Pollard won’t hit the market. Guys like Hunt, Williams, etc still will though. 

Tag and trades are tricky because you have to give up draft capital and a huge contract. 

I’d guess a 2nd round pick would be the ceiling of what we could get. Maybe from someone like the Dolphins, Bills, Panthers, or Bears.