The Josh Jacobs Decision

RaidersAreOne

What would you do with Jacobs?  

46 members have voted

1. 1. What would you do with Jacobs?

• Re-sign him, likely for 3-4 years and top ~5-8 pay. Our O would be totally screwed without him.
    • Franchise tag him for one season, run him into the ground, then move on. We need him around but can't commit to him.
    • Let him walk, don't tie up big $ long-term for an oft-injured RB. Collect that comp pick!
    • Other

6 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Aaron Jones already restructured his deal to lower his cap hit and now there are reports that the Bengals are asking Mixon to do the same or they're comfortable cutting him. 

SB teams don't pay big money for RBs.  We should just keep drafting RBs on day three.  If we allocate 15M to Josh Jacobs just for him to be injured this season I'd be pissed.  I think it's going to happen.  The top rusher typically always goes down the following season (other than Henry, who went down after being the leading rusher for two seasons).  It's typically always downhill after carrying the rock as much as Jacobs did last season.

In normal circumstances, I would advocate letting him test the market and use the money to improve other areas of the team. But, given the QB situation, I can totally understand wanting to surround whoever is brought in with as solid a supporting cast as possible.

Having JJ under contract would mean that if you could improve the oline (which really shouldn’t be too difficult with the resources we have), the only focus for attention would be QB on offense. Everything else would be ready to go.

13 hours ago, agarcia34 said:

Franchising him is the best option. He’s young so giving him a 3 year deal is not the end of the world cause it would end before he turns 29 and you can also add a couple of dummy years to make the deal look better. 

With a three year deal you'd have him from 25-27 so he'd still be able to hit free agency again before he hits 30.

14 minutes ago, FloydFan said:

Gonna be interesting to see how this plays out. He’s gonna be a real problem if they don’t upgrade at QB I feel. 

Yeah I remember reports being he'll play on the tag + take less money IF we truly upgrade our team with the money saved. Otherwise he'll definitely get pissed off at the team if we bring in crap.

I don't blame him.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Yeah I remember reports being he'll play on the tag + take less money IF we truly upgrade our team with the money saved. Otherwise he'll definitely get pissed off at the team if we bring in crap.

I don't blame him.

Yeah that’s what he said. Going to be very interesting to see what this means. Either they work out a tag and trade or they’re looking to still actually compete now I’d think. 

Edited by FloydFan

2 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

I don't blame him.

I read that we're likely going to work on a long term deal but we just didn't want him to hit the open market. Now we have until July to get something done.

We're in a good spot because we can see what Saquan gets on the open market before we extend Jacobs.

RB is so devalued across the league though. Mixon / Zeke have to take pay cuts or might get released, Jones just had to take a pay cut in Green Bay, and Chubb / Henry are both being shopped.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FqlSFxFaYAAdwhM?format=jpg&name=medium

I just read that JJ unfollowed the Raiders on IG....  I have not verified if it's true or not but if it is....Here we go.   

He will not want to play for this **** show nor JM and I don't blame him.

I am fascinated to see how Adams reacts when we **** the bd in FA and he has a bum QB throwing to him.