The Josh Jacobs Decision

RaidersAreOne

What would you do with Jacobs?  

46 members have voted

1. 1. What would you do with Jacobs?

• Re-sign him, likely for 3-4 years and top ~5-8 pay. Our O would be totally screwed without him.
    • Franchise tag him for one season, run him into the ground, then move on. We need him around but can't commit to him.
    • Let him walk, don't tie up big $ long-term for an oft-injured RB. Collect that comp pick!
    • Other

On 3/27/2023 at 9:29 AM, NYRaider said:

So if his touches are low does that mean only Dalvin Cook and Derrick Henry have had high usage over the last four seasons? I'll bet money that Gibbs goes in the 2nd round. Regardless though there are a ton of veterans on the market like Fournette, Zeke, Hunt, etc. Why give up a 2nd and a huge deal for Jacobs when you can get someone similar for a fraction for the cost and keep your picks?

Each individual back is different and can maintain at different levels so to say Jacobs production will fall off is not an absolute but the perception of him would be more easily measured.  RBs with big back to back seasons of touches generally have issues year 3 just like OL that run slower than a 5.4 sec 40 bust in the NFL.  Teams are aware of these stats.  Dalvin Cook has had 1 year over 300 carries and Henry had two straight years of 300+ yard carries and then in 2021, the next year, they are give him 200+ carries and he breaks his foot.  It was not a gruesome play.  His body was just breaking down and he snapped something.  Now an injury can happen at any time but when you increase usage in a defined time span the risk increases and not just from more chances.  Parts of the body wear out or start increasing micro injuries that turn into major injuries.  If we push him up into the 350 range again I would bet money he misses at least 5-6 games in 2024. 

As for Gibbs I said it is a possibility he goes in round 1 so I would not bet against round 2.  There is still a chance he falls to a later round also.  He is being compared to Kamara who also went round 3.  Bull case is round 1, par is round 2, and bear is round 3. 

Fournette, Zeke, and Hunt are not similar to Jacobs anymore.  I do not know if Hunt or Fournette can be every down backs and none are going to come close to Jacobs last year.  Only Zeke has been in the same discussion earlier in his career.

On 3/28/2023 at 3:35 PM, NYRaider said:

The only concern I have with him is usage

After his rookie year I ranted like a mad man that we needed a solid RB2 to take a little wear and tear off off Jacobs in order to prolong his career enough that resigning him to a second deal would prove to be successful.

4 minutes ago, jimkelly02 said:

After his rookie year I ranted like a mad man that we needed a solid RB2 to take a little wear and tear off off Jacobs in order to prolong his career enough that resigning him to a second deal would prove to be successful.

Kenyan Drake 

12 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Kenyan Drake 

That was the plan but it didn’t work out. At the time I think it wouldn’t have been a bad signing had we not paid so much, but I’d have preferred a big powerful RB like Jamal Williams.  Someone that could take some short distance runs.

Edited by jimkelly02

On 3/28/2023 at 2:26 PM, MrOaktown_56 said:

Is it crazy that I think Jacobs can be better than he was last year with a better OL? Our OL was mid at best and he was balling.

Depends on motivation, how often he's used, and how much people respect our passing game. 

The latter two can be RB killers. 

So I wouldn't bank on a better season in regards to bulk stats. Besides, I want to see White and some of the other backs get more touches. 

But if things go right, Jacobs could be significantly more efficient and "better" on a touch-to-touch basis. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • NickButera changed the title to The Josh Jacobs Decision