The Josh Jacobs Decision

RaidersAreOne

What would you do with Jacobs?  

46 members have voted

1. 1. What would you do with Jacobs?

• Re-sign him, likely for 3-4 years and top ~5-8 pay. Our O would be totally screwed without him.
    • Franchise tag him for one season, run him into the ground, then move on. We need him around but can't commit to him.
    • Let him walk, don't tie up big $ long-term for an oft-injured RB. Collect that comp pick!
    • Other

6 hours ago, ronjon1990 said:

We've got plenty of RBs and could even drop a couple and add another by about this time next year. Frankly, I'd be trying to sucker someone into trading for Jacobs ASAP.

What do you think is reasonable trade compensation for Jacobs?  It the price is right I’d be happy with trading him.

as i said early, I’m pro-extending him this off-season but it’d have to be 12-13m deal and structured with at most minimal dead cap if we get rid of him after year 2.  I also believe if we do give him An extension, it would be very important to increase the role of Zamir White, or whoever else we have, to take some Carries and keep Jacobs fresh for the end of games and end of season.  I’m not saying pay him and the baby him, it’s about shaving a few Carries here and there at lesser important times in the game, as well as allowing White/etc to get experience and contribute/develop, not to mention bring a different dynamic/skillset to the game.  I’m excited and optimistic to see White play more next year.  He seems to have a little more Speed then Jacobs.  I’d also like to see more of Jacobs as a receiver. 

but I wouldn’t argue with someone that wants to move on.  My only argument on this issue was we shouldn’t retaliate against him for his relatively minor comments by “running him Into the ground and dump him in FA (paraphrasing)”.  

1 hour ago, jimkelly02 said:

What do you think is reasonable trade compensation for Jacobs?  It the price is right I’d be happy with trading him.

as i said early, I’m pro-extending him this off-season but it’d have to be 12-13m deal and structured with at most minimal dead cap if we get rid of him after year 2.  I also believe if we do give him An extension, it would be very important to increase the role of Zamir White, or whoever else we have, to take some Carries and keep Jacobs fresh for the end of games and end of season.  I’m not saying pay him and the baby him, it’s about shaving a few Carries here and there at lesser important times in the game, as well as allowing White/etc to get experience and contribute/develop, not to mention bring a different dynamic/skillset to the game.  I’m excited and optimistic to see White play more next year.  He seems to have a little more Speed then Jacobs.  I’d also like to see more of Jacobs as a receiver. 

but I wouldn’t argue with someone that wants to move on.  My only argument on this issue was we shouldn’t retaliate against him for his relatively minor comments by “running him Into the ground and dump him in FA (paraphrasing)”.  

Given the nature of the position and impending financials, I'd say a 2nd + a role player, a 2nd and 3rd or 2 3rds. Something in that range where we could conceivably:

A. Find a potential replacement if we wanted

B. Got another player or something as the "comp" as opposed to just a straight up type of trade. 

3 hours ago, ronjon1990 said:

Given the nature of the position and impending financials, I'd say a 2nd + a role player, a 2nd and 3rd or 2 3rds. Something in that range where we could conceivably:

A. Find a potential replacement if we wanted

B. Got another player or something as the "comp" as opposed to just a straight up type of trade. 

I’d be sad to lose him but happy with the compensation if trade him for a 2nd and 3rd, assuming it’s early to mid picks in the round… and not a Waller for a “3rd” scenario when it’s essentially a 4th rounder because it’s one the 3rd last compensatory pick of that round.

And My logic for that trade and compensation being a good move would be:

1) I’d rather we get a 2nd and 3rd this year to draft players who have a whole extra year to developer then wait til next year and get a single late 3rd compensatory pick in 2014.  It’s more compensation and a whole year earlier.  I don’t believe we’re competitive next year but hopefully can be in 2 years so it’s be advantageous to have a those two day 2 players with a year of development.

2) I believe ultimately the FO won’t resign / extend Jacobs.

3) RB is the easiest position to replace.  I’d draft a RB like Israel Abanikanda in the 5th and go RB by Committee.

4) Adding 2 more day 2 picks could really help us build the defense.  Adding Two more (eventual) starters under contract for 4 years on rookie contracts to the 3-4 were projected to draft with our existing picks…. You could build up all 3 levels of the defense in just one year.

The only issue I have with trading not resigning Jacobs is: I just don’t think the money we don’t spend on Jacobs will be put to efficient, good use. 
When I hear “Jacobs will be to expensive” (and we’re talking a 12-13m deal) my response is it could be afforded if we weren’t paying borderline starter Marcus Epps 7.2M.  12 for Jacobs or 7.2 for Epps: what’s the better cost to production level.  

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

At this point you have to figure that Jacobs has all the power in the situation.  Everyone knows the O is running through JJ and if he holds out JM has to know his HC career will be over.

Does anyone see us not buckling and paying JJ on a multi year deal which I do not think is the right move?

35 minutes ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

At this point you have to figure that Jacobs has all the power in the situation.  Everyone knows the O is running through JJ and if he holds out JM has to know his HC career will be over.

Does anyone see us not buckling and paying JJ on a multi year deal which I do not think is the right move?

I don't know man. The RB market is brutal out there right now. Guys are going for far less than a lot expected.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

I don't know man. The RB market is brutal out there right now. Guys are going for far less than a lot expected.

We have more than enough to sign Jacobs especially if we trade Renfrow, plus cuts made on the offensive side of the ball see depth chart thread, we can pay him easily and we have so much relief coming next year too.

7 hours ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Then JJ holds out... JM knows that without him we are a lock for a top 3 pick in the draft and he will most likely lose his job.  No running game, no Oline and the leagues most pathetic D...  Bye bye JM....

12 minutes ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

Then JJ holds out... JM knows that without him we are a lock for a top 3 pick in the draft and he will most likely lose his job.  No running game, no Oline and the leagues most pathetic D...  Bye bye JM....

Josh will play on the tag. Zeus will be stepping into a larger role. Rookies don't get a lot of run year 1 in this offense. Oline will be fine. 

Are you're just going to ignore the fact that McDaniels offense has produced numbers for running backs for years now? Nobody's have thrived in NE in this offense. Year 1, he made Jacobs the rushing champ. 

5 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Josh will play on the tag. Zeus will be stepping into a larger role. Rookies don't get a lot of run year 1 in this offense. Oline will be fine. 

Are you're just going to ignore the fact that McDaniels offense has produced numbers for running backs for years now? Nobody's have thrived in NE in this offense. Year 1, he made Jacobs the rushing champ. 

Josh will hold out and he knows he has all the power.  White has proven nothing on the NFL level. 

JM knows that without JJ his NFL HC career is over.  The O is going to run through Jacobs and JJ knows that JM's plan is to run him into the ground on the tag.  

For arguments sake let's say JJ does play the year on the tag, I have a feeling, especially if we start out terribly that he will have a season plagued by "soft tissue injuries".  JJ has nothing left to prove and why would he accept being run into the ground by a ****ty team that has no long term plans to keep him? 

41 minutes ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

Josh will hold out and he knows he has all the power.  White has proven nothing on the NFL level. 

JM knows that without JJ his NFL HC career is over.  The O is going to run through Jacobs and JJ knows that JM's plan is to run him into the ground on the tag.  

For arguments sake let's say JJ does play the year on the tag, I have a feeling, especially if we start out terribly that he will have a season plagued by "soft tissue injuries".  JJ has nothing left to prove and why would he accept being run into the ground by a ****ty team that has no long term plans to keep him? 

Sure thing man.... if you want to believe your own hyperbole, knock yourself out. 

This is pure nonsense and not worth my energy.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Sure thing man.... if you want to believe your own hyperbole, knock yourself out. 

This is pure nonsense and not worth my energy.

Get ready for a 4ish win season with your boy JM....  JM's last stand as a HC!

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

Get ready for a 4ish win season with your boy JM....  JM's last stand as a HC!

When they win 5 will you finally shut up and drop your schtick for awhile? Or are you going to move the goal post? 

That's rhetorical, we know the answer.... 

3 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

When they win 5 will you finally shut up and drop your schtick for awhile? Or are you going to move the goal post? 

That's rhetorical, we know the answer.... 

What part of 4ish is not clear?   Is your lack of comprehension as bad as it appears in nearly every one of your posts? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

Brother, the sky isn't falling.

3 hours ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

What part of 4ish is not clear?   Is your lack of comprehension as bad as it appears in nearly every one of your posts? 

The part where you are building in an excuse for +2 games apparently. That way when they win 6, you think you're justified with you nonsense. So the only "ish" here is your chick ish behavior. Either call it 4 wins or shut up about it. Seems pretty simple.

You are a big talker, but take zero accountability to anything you say.

Edited by big_palooka