The Josh Jacobs Decision

RaidersAreOne

What would you do with Jacobs?  

46 members have voted

1. 1. What would you do with Jacobs?

• Re-sign him, likely for 3-4 years and top ~5-8 pay. Our O would be totally screwed without him.
    • Franchise tag him for one season, run him into the ground, then move on. We need him around but can't commit to him.
    • Let him walk, don't tie up big $ long-term for an oft-injured RB. Collect that comp pick!
    • Other

9 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

Bingo. Enjoy his monster year and move on. 

The Patriot way doesn’t commit to RB’s anyways. 

Signing him to a long term deal would be absolutely foolish and there is no chance this regime does such a thing.  I could see a franchise tag, run him into the ground then let him sign somewhere else for a comp pick.  If we sign him to a franchise tag and he preforms at the same level that he has this year he would be worth every penny of that 12M as there is currently no other back on this team that can play at the level he has this season.  This team needs as much proven talent as we can get and letting him walk without any compensation would only be a wise move if we can upgrade one or two players who provide good value at more impactful positions.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

Signing him to a long term deal would be absolutely foolish and there is no chance this regime does such a thing.  I could see a franchise tag, run him into the ground then let him sign somewhere else for a comp pick.  If we sign him to a franchise tag and he preforms at the same level that he has this year he would be worth every penny of that 12M as there is currently no other back on this team that can play at the level he has this season.  This team needs as much proven talent as we can get and letting him walk without any compensation would only be a wise move if we can upgrade one or two players who provide good value at more impactful positions.

Agreed. Franchise tag (one year only) or let him walk. Everyone hear wanting to give him a contract would not run a winning organization. He’s a RB… and a RB who was meh the past two seasons, along with injury issues. He can easily revert back to that. And will he really be this good beyond the 2023 season (after franchise tag)? Extremely unlikely. 

Don’t give him a contract. It’s foolish. 

Edited by BayRaider
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, true2form said:

Not in 2020, still had that “overpriced” OL everyone complained about. 

our overpriced OLs, were also extremely overrated. 
Jacobs has been bottom 3 in yards BEFORE contact his career (prior to this year). 

For a quick/ fast RB, you can sometimes make it work, but for a slower back like jacobs, you need time to get momentum going. 

Edited by BackinBlack
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, BayRaider said:

You can use this as an excuse for him, to an extent. But not fully. Elite RB’s find a way. Look at some elite RB seasons with poors lines, some of them did it over and over. Jacobs is not an elite RB. He’s extremely good, but not worth tying top dollar into. It is also extremely risky, because he can 100% revert back to 2020 and 2021 Josh Jacobs. And then everyone complains how “dumb” it was after they were all saying pay him. I’m not paying someone for one monster season, especially a RB. That’s the last position I would pay after one monster season. 

Who are the elite RB's then? Chubb has had good blocking. Same with Henry. Barkley has struggled without it. Ditto for Kamara.

I'm not even saying he's elite. I'm just saying every RB needs blocking and he creates pretty well with even below average blocking. Just not bottom 5.

On 12/3/2022 at 11:31 AM, BackinBlack said:

our overpriced OLs, were also extremely overrated. 
Jacobs has been bottom 3 in yards BEFORE contact his career (prior to this year). 

For a quick/ fast RB, you can sometimes make it work, but for a slower back like jacobs, you need time to get momentum going. 

Yeah, but that just makes it even more on Jacobs. If we are saying the oline stinks every year. Why unsuccessful then and successful now? Injuries?

if so, how can we be sure this year isn’t the anomaly?

This reminds me of the list of guys someone here said was better than Jacobs

Not many?

Saquan, Fournette, Ekeler, Hunt, Javante Williams, Swift, Taylor, Akers, Dobbins, Sanders, and Antonio Gibson I think most wouldn't need to think about. There's more I'd have to think more about though. 

I'll throw in everybody's other favorite David Montgomery, Lol pay our man.

• Like 1

Jacobs is special. He's proven that when healthy on the back half of last season and throughout this year. The offense feeds off him. He's a leader and he's young.

The whole "you don't pay RBs" and "the Patriot way" arguments are meaningless when discussing this caliber player. Pay your talent. 

You don't let a top 5 RB walk. What he does breaking tackles and earning extra yards is rare. As in Chubb and Henry rare, two backs that were paid and have performed accordingly.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Jacobs is special. He's proven that when healthy on the back half of last season and throughout this year. The offense feeds off him. He's a leader and he's young.

The whole "you don't pay RBs" and "the Patriot way" arguments are meaningless when discussing this caliber player. Pay your talent. 

You don't let a top 5 RB walk. What he does breaking tackles and earning extra yards is rare. As in Chubb and Henry rare, two backs that were paid and have performed accordingly.

I wouldn't normally pay a RB but he's making this a really tough decision this year. He's definitely playing like a top 5 RB. The Oline is not good (though run blocking they've had their moments) and he is a major part of the way the team wins no doubt. I just keep coming round to the point that hopefully we'll be able to upgrade the Oline to a degree this offseason and McDaniels has always gotten good production from a whole plethora of backs, so hopefully it'll be easier to run for us next year as well. I'd like to see guys like White in to see how they produce in this scheme behind the line before committing a big pile of cash. Logic says that if you do pay him then you limit guarantees moving forward, however, with the way he's playing he's actually in a strong negotiating position so if you do want to keep him you may have no option to have an 'out' in his contract early. Really, really tricky decision and glad I'm not having to make it, this is where our FO earns their money if they're any good. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, big_palooka said:

That's why I comped him to Frank Gore. Can always create more than what is blocked for him.

• Like 1

Went back and watched a mcdaniels presser or two because I was looking for something. After the denver game, he was talking about how he's so used to rotating backs, as that's where he came from. He was surprised to have a RB respond like Jacobs and he changed the way he played RB's. 

Explains why he stocked up 5 RB's and why he didn't play Jacobs much in the first few games. At least he changed and went with what was working instead of sticking to his original plan. 

• Like 5