The Josh Jacobs Decision

RaidersAreOne

What would you do with Jacobs?  

46 members have voted

1. 1. What would you do with Jacobs?

• Re-sign him, likely for 3-4 years and top ~5-8 pay. Our O would be totally screwed without him.
    • Franchise tag him for one season, run him into the ground, then move on. We need him around but can't commit to him.
    • Let him walk, don't tie up big $ long-term for an oft-injured RB. Collect that comp pick!
    • Other

2 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Mark Davis has also been very public about our lack of home field advantage. We've seen him support splashy moves in the past to excite the fanbase (Gruden / AB / Adams), I'm not sure why he'd become conservative about chasing a Super Bowl now.

Davis is desperate to field a winner and get out of Al's shadow. That's both good and bad. He will spend, but he's also reckless. 

Davis has an affinity to Tom Brady. He's probably lost sleep at night over not landing him in 2020 and will do anything to make it happen. Is that good or bad? We can debate that. 

3 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Davis is desperate to field a winner and get out of Al's shadow. That's both good and bad. He will spend, but he's also reckless. 

Davis has an affinity to Tom Brady. He's probably lost sleep at night over not landing him in 2020 and will do anything to make it happen. Is that good or bad? We can debate that. 

I really think that we are going to go all in for TB12. A lot of rumors that he's leaning towards playing and basically every major "source" has linked him to the Raiders. Where there's smoke there's usually fire. 

1 minute ago, big_palooka said:

This is why owners need to stay out of personnel decisions (for the most part). Mark is focused on selling tickets, McZieg are focused on building a winning team. A guy like TB12 will do the former (for a time), but not necessarily the latter. Father Time is undefeated — Brady took an obvious step down this season and is only going to decline further going forward, and IDK if free agents around the league are going to be as quick to line up at our door to play alongside him any longer (for that reason).

If we go for a stop-gap QB next season, Rodgers is the safer bet. The only question is price and the cap hit.

9 minutes ago, IdigtheRaiders! said:

This is why owners need to stay out of personnel decisions (for the most part). Mark is focused on selling tickets, McZieg are focused on building a winning team. A guy like TB12 will do the former (for a time), but not necessarily the latter. Father Time is undefeated — Brady took an obvious step down this season and is only going to decline further going forward, and IDK if free agents around the league are going to be as quick to line up at our door to play alongside him any longer (for that reason).

If we go for a stop-gap QB next season, Rodgers is the safer bet. The only question is price and the cap hit.

Do you really need to acquire a bunch of top tier offensive free agents when you already have Adams, Renfrow, Waller, and Jacobs here? Sign Brady, invest into the OL, sign another WR, and the offense would be ready to roll with the potential to be a top 5 unit, IMO. 

Brady's production definitely declined but he was still 3rd in yards and 8th in TD passes this year. Despite a ton of drama in his personal life, the coaching change, Tampa Bay's OL/running game falling off a cliff, and a lot of his weapons being gone/hurt for a good portion of the season. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Update: His price has skyrocketed. 

And he’s earns his money. One thing that is worth considering is that if McDaniels can do that with a ramshackle OLine, what could he do with a top notch unit next year??

Given we’re moving on from Carr and unless we somehow manage to get a guy like Rodgers or maybe Brady I think we should pay Jacobs now. Though @Rolni raises a great point about the Pats way of using and replacing RBs like a concerto belt. It’s a great point about letting the young RBs learn the protection duties as well, that gets overlooked a lot.

There’s so many ways we can go with this thing………..sign a guy like Brady and try and win now, go with a stop gap cheap option and build the team for a rookie, burn it all down and rebuild……….it really is wide open and I can see justification for each model. It’s going to be a truly fascinating off season!!! At least we have all tgat to look forward to 😄

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Darbsk said:

And he’s earns his money. One thing that is worth considering is that if McDaniels can do that with a ramshackle OLine, what could he do with a top notch unit next year??

In addition to winning the rushing title he also led the league in yards from scrimmage and was the only player in the league to gain 2,000+ yards.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, IdigtheRaiders! said:

I have no issue with Brady, because the roster can be re-tooled to win now. And his influence will be positive. What better way to change a losing culture than bringing in guys who are accustom to winning. The accountability issues would be cleaned up quick.

I also disagree Brady took a step down. Arm is still there. Did you see his bomb to Evans last week? Tampa was just an injured mess with a league worst running game.

Rodgers is not a safer bet because of his price. And, as much as I love AR, is he a culture fit with this group? He's a bit of a loan wolf. I don't see him jiving with the Patriot way of doing things. Just my assumption. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, big_palooka said:

I have no issue with Brady, because the roster can be re-tooled to win now. And his influence will be positive. What better way to change a losing culture than bringing in guys who are accustom to winning. The accountability issues would be cleaned up quick.

I also disagree Brady took a step down. Arm is still there. Did you see his bomb to Evans last week? Tampa was just an injured mess with a league worst running game.

Rodgers is not a safer bet because of his price. And, as much as I love AR, is he a culture fit with this group? He's a bit of a loan wolf. I don't see him jiving with the Patriot way of doing things. Just my assumption. 

Agreed. The price would be higher and just because he is younger doesn’t mean that he wouldn’t just randomly retire if the wind blows the wrong way. If we are going with the aging vet then give me the one with the better intangibles and the one who is a better leader/teammate. Easy decision for me between the two. 

That would be a different stroy if we could get Brady around 15M for '23. If we could cover Brady and JJ with what we saved on Carr that would be a great move.

We will save 29.250.000 on Carr. The RB franchise tag number will be 10.100.000 according to spotrac. Brady for or under 19.150.000 would be a really nice move IMO.

That way we could keep JJ, make an upgrade at QB and have the same free cap to improve the team overall...

Brady probably realizes that his chance for success with this team depends on how much money and assett JMD&Ziegler will have to improve the OL and the D, so he might be willing to play for that money. Then again, after or during a divorce he might wanna cash in :)

Josh Jacobs on staying w/ #Raiders 'Obviously for me it has to make sense.This is where I want to be. Coming in I remember sitting down w/ Maxx & all these guys & talking about the organization &wanting to be a part of the change. I still feel that way so hopefully I'll be back.'

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
12 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

He's always cryptic.  They might be starting negotiations and he's just putting it out there. He has said (when others haven't) he wants to be here.  Not too concerning given his Twitter past.  Make it happen DZ.  

• Like 1