The Josh Jacobs Decision

RaidersAreOne

What would you do with Jacobs?  

46 members have voted

1. 1. What would you do with Jacobs?

• Re-sign him, likely for 3-4 years and top ~5-8 pay. Our O would be totally screwed without him.
    • Franchise tag him for one season, run him into the ground, then move on. We need him around but can't commit to him.
    • Let him walk, don't tie up big $ long-term for an oft-injured RB. Collect that comp pick!
    • Other

7 hours ago, Totty said:

He's always cryptic.  They might be starting negotiations and he's just putting it out there. He has said (when others haven't) he wants to be here.  Not too concerning given his Twitter past.  Make it happen DZ.  

I'd imagine this is also somewhat in response to the reports we might be looking to trade Waller/Renfrow. I think we'll try to work out a long term deal but if we can't then we'll hit him with the franchise tag. 

9 hours ago, NYRaider said:

I'd imagine this is also somewhat in response to the reports we might be looking to trade Waller/Renfrow. I think we'll try to work out a long term deal but if we can't then we'll hit him with the franchise tag. 

PSA: That isn't what the article said, but that is what sensationalize social media got out of it because the photo used was of the 2 of them.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/5/2023 at 10:40 PM, NYRaider said:

Jacobs expects to start extension talks with the team next week but said that he's not interested in playing on the franchise tag. Sounds like he's willing to hold out unless he gets a multi year deal.

Then he gets traded.  Everyone has a limit to there value and if I get more in a trade for you than how much you contribute to the team then bye.  As a fan I do not like this approach but it is the right approach.

8 hours ago, drfrey13 said:

Then he gets traded.  Everyone has a limit to there value and if I get more in a trade for you than how much you contribute to the team then bye.  As a fan I do not like this approach but it is the right approach.

Agreed. 

That said, wouldn't we have to tag him first, then trade him? Would he still be playing on the franchise tag elsewhere? I'm not really sure how exactly that bit works. 

2 hours ago, ronjon1990 said:

Agreed. 

That said, wouldn't we have to tag him first, then trade him? Would he still be playing on the franchise tag elsewhere? I'm not really sure how exactly that bit works. 

We would tag him and control his rights.  I would use the non-exclusive tag so he can negotiate with other teams.  If they decide to sign him to a contract then we have right of first refusal and if we do not we get compensated.  Now a team might not want to give what the tag requires but then we can negotiate fair value.  He would go to the other team on the tag but he then could negotiate a long term contract with the other team.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ronjon1990 said:

Agreed. 

It'd be just like the Davante Adams trade last offseason. The Packers tagged him, he told them he wouldn't play on the tag, we worked out a trade and an extension.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, drfrey13 said:

We would tag him and control his rights.  I would use the non-exclusive tag so he can negotiate with other teams.  If they decide to sign him to a contract then we have right of first refusal and if we do not we get compensated.  Now a team might not want to give what the tag requires but then we can negotiate fair value.  He would go to the other team on the tag but he then could negotiate a long term contract with the other team

19 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

It'd be just like the Davante Adams trade last offseason. The Packers tagged him, he told them he wouldn't play on the tag, we worked out a trade and an extension.

Gotcha. Many thanks for the clarification. It's not something I really ever look into. 

22 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

If you trade for Rodgers I feel like you need to bring Jacobs back. Imagine him with an elite QB at the helm + OL upgrades. Dude had 1,650 yards in this mess.

It's just so much money to have invested into our skill position guys paying him, Waller, Adams, and Renfrow. But I agree, if you're going to trade 2 premium picks for Rodgers you have to commit to winning now.