KNJ Fired

BackinBlack

2 minutes ago, holyghost said:

It makes perfect sense. Sacrificial lamb, it may help Del Rio not have the axe fall on him. Gotta blame someone when you're 4-6.

Pagano isn't "expected" to call the same defense per se. But he can't call a totally different one if he can't install and teach it. You think Del Rio and the rest of the staff doesn't understand this? You think they don't know that radical changes in week 12 are essentially absurd?

Well hopefully at least he can game plan better and have better situational awareness of when to call certain plays and blitzes 

2 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Rearranging the chairs on the Titanic. 

Yep, JDR did this because someone has to go and he didn't want it to be him. It should be though because this team has looked flat and ineffective in most of their games. I would give Mark Davis some kudos if he fired JDR in the offseason because I don't know if I could stand seeing this again another season.

I mean, we can't get any worse, so why not?

He was clearly in over his head. Didn't have much talent to work with apart from Mack, but this has been a historically bad defense. No interceptions in ten games is pathetic beyond belief, and our inability to address even basic issues is surely at least partly down to Norton.

Defense really isn't that complicated cover 1,2,3,4 and gap assignments not rocket science. Talent and motivation Trump all on defense, and our guys have been playing hard they just suck(defensive backs).. 

I would love it if Pagano could make great changes and turn this thing around but I'm not holding my breath.

1 hour ago, Nodisrespect said:

Defense really isn't that complicated cover 1,2,3,4 and gap assignments not rocket science. Talent and motivation Trump all on defense, and our guys have been playing hard they just suck(defensive backs).. 

I would love it if Pagano could make great changes and turn this thing around but I'm not holding my breath.

Also playing your assignments. Being in the right position. There’s plenty of players who have talent but can’t play because they don’t know the position. 

This is JDRs defense. KNJ was running it. The issue is JDR in the end. KNJ is collateral damage. Something to pacify the fan base and ownership.

Until JDR is shown the door, nothing is going to change with this team. He's Jeff Fisher. Unfortunately, Davis will stick with him because he just extended his contract. So our only hope as fans is that the team overachieves his coaching as they did a year ago.

17 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

This is JDRs defense. KNJ was running it. The issue is JDR in the end. KNJ is collateral damage. Something to pacify the fan base and ownership.

Until JDR is shown the door, nothing is going to change with this team. He's Jeff Fisher. Unfortunately, Davis will stick with him because he just extended his contract. So our only hope as fans is that the team overachieves his coaching as they did a year ago.

I agree unfortunately. However, I think if we finish 0-6, or 1-5, which is a very real possibility, I don't know if Mark still keeps JDR around. I know Mark has financial issues, and firing a coach who you just gave an extension to would hurt $$. But if we are getting blown out I kinda think he has to do something.

49 minutes ago, Silver&Black88 said:

I take this with a grain of salt. I know we're not in a good situation right now, but clearly those dudes just loved the person. 

8 hours ago, roi34 said:

Pagano at pratice.. "ok everything we've been doing, we're going to do the opposite!" 

Defense fixed

I didn't realize George Costanza was going to be our DC.

And getting rid of Norton is addition by subtraction. Dude was a cheerleader/motivator and nothing more. 

2 hours ago, SilverNBlackFan said:

I agree unfortunately. However, I think if we finish 0-6, or 1-5, which is a very real possibility, I don't know if Mark still keeps JDR around. I know Mark has financial issues, and firing a coach who you just gave an extension to would hurt $$. But if we are getting blown out I kinda think he has to do something.

Aren't we trying to copy Seattle's D? I don't remember JDR running this type of D. I think he gave Norton his shot, I remember many times that he said he wouldn't take over calling the defense from Norton when asked before. 

Archived