What's Lamar Jackson's trade value?

49ersfan

**I know the most likely scenario is he reaches a deal with the Ravens one way or another. That being said, lets assume he and the Ravens come to an impasse and they agree to trade him. What's his value? 

Lamar has his flaws as a QB and likely wants a fully guaranteed deal, but he's an electric 26 year old (as of next season) who was an MVP.

I think he goes for three 1st round picks & three 2nd round picks as well as a QB back in return who can at least serve as a backup/bridge starter

Edited by 49ersfan

I would say the starting point would be 3 1st-round picks + 2 2nd-round picks. Let's consider Russell Wilson as a comparable, he went for two 1st-round picks, two 2nd-round picks and they got 3 players - and this was for a QB who was out of his prime.

The Ravens don't even need a bridge starter, just run with Tyler Huntley. His W/L record wasn't great but almost all of those losses were on the last play of the game last year. He kept them competitive 90% of the time.

Realistically the Ravens should be able to get 3 firsts and 3 seconds at minimum I would think because of his age and MVP status.

42 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

I would say the starting point would be 3 1st-round picks + 2 2nd-round picks. Let's consider Russell Wilson as a comparable, he went for two 1st-round picks, two 2nd-round picks and they got 3 players - and this was for a QB who was out of his prime.

The Ravens don't even need a bridge starter, just run with Tyler Huntley. His W/L record wasn't great but almost all of those losses were on the last play of the game last year. He kept them competitive 90% of the time.

Realistically the Ravens should be able to get 3 firsts and 3 seconds at minimum I would think because of his age and MVP status.

I would say that's his value but nobody is paying that. My guess is the Wilson deal is going to scare teams off of ever doing this again. 

• Like 4

Just now, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Then you'd have to use the Deshaun Watson trade as your barometer:

3 first-round picks, 1 third-round pick, 1 fourth-round pick.

I could agree with that. I don't think it will ever happen however. Not because teams wouldn't pay it but because the Ravens wouldn't do it. I mean, we've been searching for a franchise QB since Theismann broke his leg. Its really, really hard to replace one and I just can't imagine Harbaugh wanting to do so.

5 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Then you'd have to use the Deshaun Watson trade as your barometer:

3 first-round picks, 1 third-round pick, 1 fourth-round pick.

You also have to consider the circumstances behind Watson at the time - basically staring at a lengthy suspension, an unprecedented suspension at that.

So any Lamar Jackson trade would have to bring in more than Watson brought in. You would prob add on a few 2nd rounders to this deal.

• Like 2

Colts could make sense as buyers if it came to that. They've tried trading, but Rivers and Ryan were old. The OL is undrperforming, but has top potential (if LT is fixed). They have a strong RB, a topish WR and some field stretchers. They could add Deforest Buckner who would replace Calais Campbell well.

I wonder if Bears make sense if the Ravens value Fields and get him in return, Bears have an insane amount of Cap to front load a Lamar extension (or buy him FA that he wants to be happy) if they wanted.

Edited by Trojan

1 minute ago, ET80 said:

You also have to consider the circumstances behind Watson at the time - basically staring at a lengthy suspension, an unprecedented suspension at that.

So any Lamar Jackson trade would have to bring in more than Watson brought in. You would prob add on a few 2nd rounders to this deal.

If you use his trade as the starting point you can hammer out the details and differences from there, but yeah I agree with you!

• Like 1

So, question for Ravens fans:

Lamar is certainly getting the exclusive Franchise Tag, right? Because if the Ravens used the non-exclusive Franchise Tag, I’m absolutely giving him a poison pill contract that Baltimore couldn’t match and handing over my two FRPs.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

I would say that's his value but nobody is paying that. My guess is the Wilson deal is going to scare teams off of ever doing this again. 

Agreed.  I don't think he brings the value of a Deshaun Watson either, because there's the stigma around him about whether he's really a franchise QB.

I think he is, but the question is still there, and that just shrinks the pool of potential suitors.  That and the trades not going so well so far means, IMO, that the value is down to two firsts plus.

Just now, Daniel said:
13 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

Agreed.  I don't think he brings the value of a Deshaun Watson either, because there's the stigma around him about whether he's really a franchise QB.

Let’s look at the offset here - there might be a stigma about his ability to become a franchise QB, but there aren’t 30+ accusations of sexual misconduct.

I personally say those cancel out at the absolute least.

• Like 2