What's Lamar Jackson's trade value?

49ersfan

Just now, seminoles1 said:
On 1/16/2023 at 6:17 PM, AngusMcFife said:

The non-exclusive tag might be best, because then Lamar will see what his value is on the open market. Maybe he'll realize the Ravens were making a fair deal, and nobody will offer him 5-$250 million guaranteed. 

I think you'd be surprised.

Well, I didn't think about also sending two 1sts. On the straight open market he'd definitely get a fully guaranteed contract.

1 hour ago, Xmad said:

Do we really think Lamar isn't as worth as much as Deshaun "Derrick" Watson.

Lamar's one downside is injuries but like ehhh....injuries in today's NFL vs. a PR ****storm I'd say balances out.

1 hour ago, Yin-Yang said:

All it takes is one team, though. I was shocked Watson went for what he did too.

48 minutes ago, seminoles1 said:

I think you'd be surprised.

The Watson contract was the result of an intense bidding war that drove up both the draft picks and the contract. 

The question is if Lamar will have that same kind of demand that drives up the compensation. 

It's also possible Lamar might not want to play with certain teams if they are bad or in cold weather. Lamar's preferences may eliminate some potential bidders, reducing demand. 

1 hour ago, seminoles1 said:

Well, I didn't think about also sending two 1sts. On the straight open market he'd definitely get a fully guaranteed contract.

I'm not so sure, i don't think the market is a vast as some think. Problem for Lamar is a lot of the poor run teams who love making a splash signing in him have a stable GM's or have their QB (jags, browns, dolphins). Jets are a wildcard but they seem to be on a good rebuild path. And then I see names like the colts or Atlanta and I dont buy it. When have those teams ever signed a mega contract free agent?! Doesn't seem like their model. 

20 minutes ago, 4thandInches said:

I'm not so sure, i don't think the market is a vast as some think. Problem for Lamar is a lot of the poor run teams who love making a splash signing in him have a stable GM's or have their QB (jags, browns, dolphins). Jets are a wildcard but they seem to be on a good rebuild path. And then I see names like the colts or Atlanta and I dont buy it. When have those teams ever signed a mega contract free agent?! Doesn't seem like their model. 

The Vikings signed Kirk Cousins to a fully guaranteed deal. As long as Lamar is healthy, if he hits free agency, he'll get a fully guaranteed deal. Teams would maneuver their cap to make the room, so it wouldn't just be those couple teams looking to sign him.

Now would they do that AND send two 1sts? That's a lot tougher.

1 hour ago, seminoles1 said:

The Vikings signed Kirk Cousins to a fully guaranteed deal. As long as Lamar is healthy, if he hits free agency, he'll get a fully guaranteed deal. Teams would maneuver their cap to make the room, so it wouldn't just be those couple teams looking to sign him.

Now would they do that AND send two 1sts? That's a lot tougher.

What Cousins signed 4 years ago has absolutely no barring on Lamar or any QB moving forward.  His 3 yr 84 Million is but a 1/3 or 1/4 of what Lamar is demanding post numb nuts in Cleveland. 

Clevelands stupidity/desperation really has ***'d the rest of the NFL moving forward. 

2 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Why do you think they’ll regret it? It’s risky but SF just gave up 3 firsts for Trey Lance. Lamar is a proven commodity. 

I'm not trading three firsts for a QB who has proven he's not elite, is beginning to have durability concerns, and has been garbage in the playoffs. 

2 minutes ago, Bullet Club said:

I'm not trading three firsts for a QB who has proven he's not elite, is beginning to have durability concerns, and has been garbage in the playoffs. 

I mean, even in his rookie year he wasn't garbage. His 2nd year he was decent and the team KILLED HIM with drops. The following year he won a playoff game in TEN, then got injured against Buffalo.

The other points are for sure accurate, though.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AngusMcFife said:

The Watson contract was the result of an intense bidding war that drove up both the draft picks and the contract. 

The question is if Lamar will have that same kind of demand that drives up the compensation. 

It's also possible Lamar might not want to play with certain teams if they are bad or in cold weather. Lamar's preferences may eliminate some potential bidders, reducing demand. 

Ya'll truly underestimate it only takes one dumb team for the ravens to be like "Aye **** it rebuild and we'll find our guy in the draft somewhere" 

Commanders are definitely dumb enough and bonus lamar is out of conference.

Jets would easily pay that for a proven commodity. 

Lamar doesn't get a say where he's going, he gets the $ he wants for a franchise that's willing to pay him for it, who it is is not up to him that's up to the ravens.

2 hours ago, 4thandInches said:

Colts are definitely drafting their guy same with Atlanta but again franchise QB's are the one asset in football once you have a shot to get them you pull the trigger (See Rams, Browns past two offseasons) 

Falcons it's rare but they are willing to give big money/capital for impact players (Julio Jones, Alex Mack) granted under dimitroff but all it takes is someone convinced Lamar can be their guy.

4 minutes ago, Xmad said:

Ya'll truly underestimate it only takes one dumb team for the ravens to be like "Aye **** it rebuild and we'll find our guy in the draft somewhere" 

Commanders are definitely dumb enough and bonus lamar is out of conference.

Jets would easily pay that for a proven commodity. 

Lamar doesn't get a say where he's going, he gets the $ he wants for a franchise that's willing to pay him for it, who it is is not up to him that's up to the ravens.

Colts are definitely drafting their guy same with Atlanta but again franchise QB's are the one asset in football once you have a shot to get them you pull the trigger (See Rams, Browns past two offseasons) 

Falcons it's rare but they are willing to give big money/capital for impact players (Julio Jones, Alex Mack) granted under dimitroff but all it takes is someone convinced Lamar can be their guy.

But is he going to play for the Birmingham Steamers next season?

3 hours ago, Scoundrel said:

But is he going to play for the Birmingham Steamers next season?

The Birmingham Football Team has issued a statement.

"Due to unforeseen circumstances and widely circulating rumors surrounding contract negotiations with our franchise QB and his current injury it would not be wise for us to offer an official statement at this time regarding the status of an impending free agent this far away from free agency, however you can expect we will do everything in our power to retain the only QB in NFL history to win a unanimous MVP. " 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, 4thandInches said:

I could see Atlanta being a really good fit for Lamar if they decide to push their chips in. They already have some good offensive weapons in place both and have a solid rushing attack. I am certainly not saying that they will or even should go after Jackson, but adding Jackson at QB would definitely seem to put them in the driver's seat in that division, especially if they can continue to improve that defense.