What's Lamar Jackson's trade value?

49ersfan

7 minutes ago, BetterCallSaul said:

My thoughts as well. I don’t think Baltimore is a stud receiver away from being a Super Bowl squad. It’s tough to mortgage your entire future for Lamar when you’re likely not getting a different result. 

But they wouldn't be doing that. They would still have a very good, young roster even after trading for Lamar.

This offseason will make last year's look like nothing. I'm not sure what will transpire..

Anywhere from him being traded for way less then people think. To a team willing to pay the piper.

To

Sitting out 11+ weeks of his eventual FTag because the Ravens have no intentions what so ever of giving him a fully guaranteed contract.

Edited by Nabbs4u

On 1/18/2023 at 1:58 PM, Bullet Club said:

Someone will absolutely pay top dollar/compensation for Lamar. There is no doubt about that. I'm saying I wouldn't want to be the one doing it.

I agree with the final sentiment but I'm not sure about the first.  Baltimore is going to demand more than a first round pick but no one is going to pay much more than that.  Given the short careers that running QBs have, especially after a serious injury, only a "win-now" team will risk more for this proven-but-depreciating asset.  No GM wants to sit out the first round of 2025 paying for a QB who is no longer active.

BayRaider produced a good list of the usual suspects:

Jets are currently the heavy betting favorite. Ravens second, Raiders third. If the Jets land Lamar, the AFCE is easily the best division in the NFL….

In sharp contrast to a pitcher such as Mike White, a Lamar Jackson relieves the Jets of the need for "frills" such as above average pass protectors, WRs, offensive coordinators, etc.  Aside from the expiry date, the catch is that these desperate teams could draft a faster-than-4.6s "dual threat" such as Anthony Richardson, Jaren Hall, Bo Nix, Malik Cunningham, etc.

Atlanta and/or Carolina could go this route.

AFlaccoSeagulls asked the key question:

So the Ravens give up their franchise QB, a known commodity who was a unanimous MVP and is still a guaranteed top 10 QB at worst, and have to completely reset while the Jets give up draft picks?

Why would the Ravens even say yes to that?

Because the Ravens are one of the most forward thinking organizations in football.  They are weighing the option of replacing an unhappy QB now with some extra draft picks versus doing it two years from now without extra draft picks and with nowhere near as much cap space.

1 minute ago, GangGreen420 said:

Why is it about the next 1-3 years? Are you saying adding Lamar makes the Jets a superbowl contender? I don’t think that’s the case at all.

Yeah I 100% agree with you. First of all, the Jets have a larger window because they don't have a bunch of bad long-term contracts. The core of their team is super young, not yet in their primes.

And while they do definitely need to find a QB, why is Lamar Jackson the only guy that they can get? They could just send that trade package to the Bears (probably less) and get back Bryce Young if they really wanted to.

I understand that Ravens fans think the world of Lamar. But you can't just insert him on any team with any players with any coaches/schemes and expect him to be the MVP. He might be capable of that, but it's a legitimate concern that teams will have. If you trade for Lamar, you're basically locking in your team for the foreseeable future and mortgaging your ability to get better through FA and the draft. So yes, you are 1000% putting all your eggs in one basket.

The Browns did this for Watson and so far, it looks like a colossal failure. And unlike Lamar, Watson in theory was able to play within several different offenses because he can run and pass at a high level.

The Ravens might get a huge haul for Lamar. However:

A. He is almost assuredly going to remain in Baltimore.

B. I wouldn't count on it just because he's a former MVP. The context of his entire career matters.

This is legitimately fascinating to see what happens with Lamar, as he's such a unique player.

3 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Why wouldn't it? lol

I think it depends on who the Jets have to give up on the back end. If it's Wilson, Sauce, etc. then no, it will absolutely not. Lamar will have a good running game, subpar weapons, and a decent running back with a worse defense than he does now.

If they're able to keep the roster intact and trade a cache of draft picks, then sure, they'd be contenders.

24 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

I think it depends on who the Jets have to give up on the back end. If it's Wilson, Sauce, etc. then no, it will absolutely not. Lamar will have a good running game, subpar weapons, and a decent running back with a worse defense than he does now.

If they're able to keep the roster intact and trade a cache of draft picks, then sure, they'd be contenders.

Even if you give up just one of those guys you're still fine. Sauce might be a no, but Garrett Wilson might be a yes and you'd still have Elijah Moore and Corey Davis, Denzel Mims and Braxton Berrios. Sure, it's not great but it's absolutely better than anything he's had in Baltimore and that's to compliment Conklin and Uzomah as well.

Idk, it's hard to see the Ravens being Superbowl contenders with Lamar but not the Jets for me.

17 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Even if you give up just one of those guys you're still fine. Sauce might be a no, but Garrett Wilson might be a yes and you'd still have Elijah Moore and Corey Davis, Denzel Mims and Braxton Berrios. Sure, it's not great but it's absolutely better than anything he's had in Baltimore and that's to compliment Conklin and Uzomah as well.

Idk, it's hard to see the Ravens being Superbowl contenders with Lamar but not the Jets for me.

I think that the Jets will not trade either Sauce or Wilson under any circumstances. Sauce might be the best player at his position in football, and it's one of the most important in the entire league. He's completely NO.

Wilson had over 1,100 yards with 4 TD and may as well have had me throwing the ball to him this year.

To put that in perspective, that's more yardage AND TD than both Moore and Davis combined for between them.

Denzel Mims had 11 catches this year and Berrios had 18, so respectfully, they have zero value in any capacity for about any team in the league. 

Conklin is solid though.

...then you throw in the Bills and Dolphins being in the same division, and does anyone say that they're anything other than 3rd at best with that weapons situation?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MWil23 said:

Jets fans seem to hate the package I threw out there and I'm still not sure why because they would keep both Wilson and Gardner. Maybe they just aren't Lamar fans.

Edited by seminoles1

47 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

I think that the Jets will not trade either Sauce or Wilson under any circumstances. Sauce might be the best player at his position in football, and it's one of the most important in the entire league. He's completely NO.

Wilson had over 1,100 yards with 4 TD and may as well have had me throwing the ball to him this year.

To put that in perspective, that's more yardage AND TD than both Moore and Davis combined for between them.

Denzel Mims had 11 catches this year and Berrios had 18, so respectfully, they have zero value in any capacity for about any team in the league. 

Conklin is solid though.

...then you throw in the Bills and Dolphins being in the same division, and does anyone say that they're anything other than 3rd at best with that weapons situation?

This is why I'm laughing at the Jets fans saying no to Jermaine Johnson and Elijah Moore and acting like you're mortgaging your future with that lol like nope you still have your centerpieces AND you're getting a proven MVP QB, and apparently that's not enough? lol

• Like 1