Week 13: San Francisco 49ers vs Miami Dolphins

J-ALL-DAY

54 minutes ago, Forge said:

Here's the thing though, and one of the reasons I dislike Lombardi - he basically fires these shots at the extremists to rile folks up. He's always targeting the extremist view when he knows damn well, given that he's all about "logic and being reasonable",  that most don't see him as the worst QB ever or something. But targeting that viewpoint, as though it's the one that is universally shared and Jimmy is some massive underdog will get the most chatter. 

David Lombardi is ostensibly the same as Grant Cohn, he's just got better branding. 

Right, and a person not attempting to rile everyone up would include context for the 9-29, without going over the top and attempting to say that Jimmy deserves no credit for helping the team to be more successful when he's been available. Did those other 38 games have below average QBs or replacement level and worse QBs? How many of those games coincided with not having Nick Bosa? How many of those games coincided with other injuries other than just not having Bosa? Jimmy's been a lot better than the rest of the QBs that the 49ers have suited up and is a solidly average quarterback, but there were other factors than just his presence that have led to the large discrepancy. You can definitely do a lot worse than an average quarterback. But you can also do better. Sometimes much better. The consistent teams that are in contention every year tend to have much better. I don't think that it's slandering Jimmy to say so. 

• Like 1

Jimmy Garoppolo hinted RB Jordan Mason will see an increased role in Week 13 game against the Dolphins. 

“He makes it tough on defenses and I think those are body blows that wear on you in the fourth quarter, so it’ll be interesting to see a full game with him," Garoppolo said when asked about Mason's tough running in Week 12 against the Saints. Christian McCaffrey, who dealt with some knee pain in Week 12, said he "dodged a bullet" and feels ready to go for this week's game against Miami. Garoppolo's comments seem to indicate Mason will get first crack as the team's No. 2 back with Mitchell sidelined. 

Edited by adamq

27 minutes ago, adamq said:

Jimmy Garoppolo hinted RB Jordan Mason will see an increased role in Week 13 game against the Dolphins. 

“He makes it tough on defenses and I think those are body blows that wear on you in the fourth quarter, so it’ll be interesting to see a full game with him," Garoppolo said when asked about Mason's tough running in Week 12 against the Saints. Christian McCaffrey, who dealt with some knee pain in Week 12, said he "dodged a bullet" and feels ready to go for this week's game against Miami. Garoppolo's comments seem to indicate Mason will get first crack as the team's No. 2 back with Mitchell sidelined. 

No brainier decision. Mason brings something to the table that none of the other RBs do. He runs violently and we need that, especially in the RZ and in short down situations.

CMC will get around 20 or so touches but Mason should be getting at minimum, 5-6 carries. 

• Like 2

Deebo hasn't been healthy for some time now. He really needs to sit this one out. Will suck and may cost us the game, but we have to look at the big picture.

CMC/Kittle/Aiyuk should still be able to do their fair share of damage. Less the merrier possibly as it will lead to another high level performer to get more touches. 

So, I was looking at the Dolphins OLine on PFF and only realized today that Connor Williams is their center. That just feels odd to me, but it seems to work for them. 

Anyways, I was doing some sorting with the Center pass blocking data and I found something interesting. There are only 2 Centers in the NFL with a qualified amount of pass blocking snaps (250) that have given up 0 sacks and less than 5 pressures. Jake Brendel is one of them. 0 sacks and 4 pressures to his name on 392 pass blocking snaps. 

Edited by NinerNation21

1 hour ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Umm, I wonder who brought this up a few days ago!!!!!! 

Benjamin is stealing my material!!!!!

Kidding, but the game is going to come down to how well Warner and the crew can handle the middle of the field. 

That man is GOOD! Now go and make your all pro and potential DPOY case this Sunday! 

1 hour ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Deebo hasn't been healthy for some time now. He really needs to sit this one out. Will suck and may cost us the game, but we have to look at the big picture.

CMC/Kittle/Aiyuk should still be able to do their fair share of damage. Less the merrier possibly as it will lead to another high level performer to get more touches. 

Plus, we have Juice & Jennings still. And Mason has impressed me when he's on the field. I'm hopeful he can replace Mitchell without too much of a drop in skills/production

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Forge said:

He's not even leading the pro bowl vote for middle / inside linebackers. How crazy is that? 

He's not even leading? Forget LEADING, he was 9th in voting just last week LOL.

This man is a legitimate DPOY candidate this season but will get no love just because he doesn't have the splashy stats but he's in a league of his own. 

Big game for our safeties. One slip up and then boom, there goes Hill for a 60 yard bomb!

Mostert/JWJ will play but doesn't look like neither of the starting tackles will though.

I think we will hear shortly that Deebo will be doubtful himself and won't play.

Glad that Ebukam/Armstead/Bosa will finally be on the field together! Expecting Ebukam to be a big benefactor of Armstead returning. 

2 hours ago, 49ersfan said:

Plus, we have Juice & Jennings still. And Mason has impressed me when he's on the field. I'm hopeful he can replace Mitchell without too much of a drop in skills/production

Just watching the game clinching drive in last week's game where Mason hit the holes with such authority! Why he hasn't been on the field more already is mystifying to me....