Will Ohio State come for Vrabel?

KingTitan

Just now, KingTitan said:

I hear what you saying. lol

But it will come up. It will be a subject of discussion. It will be rumored if Day is fired and until they fill it with someone other than Vrabel. 
If we ever have a terrible season.... "Vrabel headed to Ohio State?"

Vrabel has reached a level of coaching status that he is considered one of the best in the world. And because we are "little ol TN" he will now forever be sought after, until he isn't. lol

Of course it's gonna be discussed, but IMO, that doesn't make the discussion any less dumb.  A more realistic worry would be him being hired away by another NFL program.  Like, for instance, the Patriots.  Since you can actually argue that's a promotion.

I mean, the fact that the current head coach of OSU was close to being hired as our offensive coordinator kinda tells you everything you need to know about what is and isn't a lateral move.  And that was before Tennessee became a consistently winning program that Vrabel gets to run however he wants.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Daniel said:

Of course it's gonna be discussed, but IMO, that doesn't make the discussion any less dumb.  A more realistic worry would be him being hired away by another NFL program.  Like, for instance, the Patriots.  Since you can actually argue that's a promotion.

I mean, the fact that the current head coach of OSU was close to being hired as our offensive coordinator kinda tells you everything you need to know about what is and isn't a lateral move.  And that was before Tennessee became a consistently winning program that Vrabel gets to run however he wants.

This. 100. I have nightmares, literal nightmares, that Vrabel wins a Lombardi with someone else. I fear him going somewhere else in the NFL, way more than I fear college.

19 minutes ago, Daniel said:

I'm not debating about promotion vs lateral move. I'm just talking about something like Love vs. Passion. And depending on who you are, you can say which one is deeper. lol
But for this example, let's say he is deeply passionate about being the coach of a NFL team, Titans. But he would absolutely LOVE to be the coach at Ohio State. He legit could be the Saban of the Big Ten. lol Job for life, paid handsomely, and be forever a GOD. 

I'm with you. Saying he would leave this year or even the next 3 years is very unlikely. 
But it is beyond unrealistic. It is in the realm of possibilities even if that's a 2% chance. 

Just FYI, he wasn't the HC at Ohio State yet when we wanted him as the OC. 

9 minutes ago, 615finest said:

All Ohio state had to do was beat Michigan and we wouldn’t be talking about this lol

I think that is the point. lol 
If he doesn't beat Michigan then he will be out.  Like I said before. He could go 11-1 for 10 years straight. but if he loses 6 out of 10 of those years to Michigan he would be fired. 

Right now I think he is 1-2?

2 hours ago, Mesa_Titan said:

I mean if day gets fired can he come be offensive coordinator for us?😂

I was thinking this more than anything haha. But I srs doubt he'd leave and I KNOW we won't know anything till the szn is over so nice to keep a eye out but I really doubt it. 

I'm sure if they fired Day they'd ask Vrabel to come be their coach.

The question then becomes why would Vrabel go coach a school that fires a guy who is 45-5, produced back to back heisman QBs, a top 5 offense practically every season, etc when he currently works for a franchise that just awarded him an extension after back to back first playoff game losses.

I mean I guess it's possible that Vrabel, a guy who is already worth 10 of millions I imagine, would care about making 8 million a year over the probably 5ish he makes now, so much that he'd go to a school that would fire him because he loses 1 game a season...but I'd have to see it to believe it.

I think Vrabel is in a contract year right now, isn't he?

I very seriously doubt that even Ohio State can compete with an NFL team if the two forces squared off.  Saban is the highest in college, and he'd be fourth in the NFL.

And Alabama backed up the Brinks truck for him at 10.95 million.  When the NFL does the same, like they did with McVay recently, you get the number 15-18 million.  If McVay were to hit incentives, he'd be making nearly double what Saban is.

But you're likely right on Vrabel not really caring that much about his salary.  He was only making 3 million last year, and if he wanted more, he could have easily gotten it by now.

4 hours ago, Daniel said:

I think Vrabel is in a contract year right now, isn't he?

I very seriously doubt that even Ohio State can compete with an NFL team if the two forces squared off.  Saban is the highest in college, and he'd be fourth in the NFL.

And Alabama backed up the Brinks truck for him at 10.95 million.  When the NFL does the same, like they did with McVay recently, you get the number 15-18 million.  If McVay were to hit incentives, he'd be making nearly double what Saban is.

But you're likely right on Vrabel not really caring that much about his salary.  He was only making 3 million last year, and if he wanted more, he could have easily gotten it by now.

Nah, signed an extension this past off season.

https://www.tennessean.com/story/sports/nfl/titans/2022/02/08/tennessee-titans-mike-vrabel-contract-extension-jon-robinson/6709912001/

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, deeluxx3 said:

I know there’s the idea that Vrabel won a power struggle over JRob, etc 

but we are just collapsing right now and his offense is making zero effort to adjust or adapt. It’s coaching/prep malpractice 

is he 100% safe? 

Lose the division after being 7-3 and almost a 99% chance of winning it and making the playoffs only to finish 7-10.  It speaks to more than just roster. And nobody is safe. Amy fires the GM after leading us to no losing seasons, why not the coach?
Maybe he needed some humble juice.