Will Ohio State come for Vrabel?

KingTitan

16 minutes ago, KingTitan said:

Lose the division after being 7-3 and almost a 99% chance of winning it and making the playoffs only to finish 7-10.  It speaks to more than just roster. And nobody is safe. Amy fires the GM after leading us to no losing seasons, why not the coach?
Maybe he needed some humble juice.

It does speak to more than the roster 

my love and faith in Vrabel is well documented. But this offseason and his coaching/staff decisions will be really really big for the future of this team. This is our most significant offseason in a long time. 

downing must go

19 minutes ago, KingTitan said:

Lose the division after being 7-3 and almost a 99% chance of winning it and making the playoffs only to finish 7-10.  It speaks to more than just roster. And nobody is safe. Amy fires the GM after leading us to no losing seasons, why not the coach?
Maybe he needed some humble juice.

Do y'all really think there is a chance he is getting fired? 

He needs some humble juice?

Y'all must be drinking that juice tonight. Ain't no way in hell they are firing Vrabel after this season.

i would be shocked beyond belief if they fired vrabel after this year. he'll get a chance to right the ship. but he damn well better take advantage of it, and i'm pretty ambivalent on his ability to do so at this moment. not sure what it'll take to get his head in 2023 and not 2003, or if that's even possible. could be rough years ahead. we shall see

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, twotonebluenation said:

Do y'all really think there is a chance he is getting fired? 

He needs some humble juice?

Y'all must be drinking that juice tonight. Ain't no way in hell they are firing Vrabel after this season.

Humble juice to say that his way isn't the only way. He must adapt in some ways. He can't just coach up anybody and think it will work. Daley at LT said more about him than his previous years combined. 

6 minutes ago, -Hope- said:

i would be shocked beyond belief if they fired vrabel after this year. he'll get a chance to right the ship. but he damn well better take advantage of it, and i'm pretty ambivalent on his ability to do so at this moment. not sure what it'll take to get his head in 2023 and not 2003, or if that's even possible. could be rough years ahead. we shall see

Yeah, I don't think he will be fired. But I didn't think Arthur would get traded, or Robinson fired. 

So....

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, KingTitan said:

Yeah, I don't think he will be fired. But I didn't think Arthur would get traded, or Robinson fired. 

So....

lol yeah i almost said the same thing. wouldn't ever count out amy of doing something out of left field. but i dunno, it would be a major shock this year. now, if we have similar problems next year and especially if the offense is this bad again? then all bets are off.

i'll also say this: the overwhelming majority of super bowl winning head coaches win a super bowl within their first 5 years with a team. sometimes it's on their second team- belichick, carroll, etc- but you can see if you look at all of the super bowl champion head coaches, most of them did it relatively early. now, there are certainly exceptions- reid, dungy, cowher- and this isn't to say vrabel should be fired because he hasn't. but i think it does mean we are entering territory where he can no longer be assumed to be safe. if we struggle next year, he's on the hot seat for sure.

I just think it's incredible how alot of people praise Vrabel for making water out of wine and now when Vrabel is in a complete desert because of Robinson even the slightest idea of tearing Vrabel down is hilarious to me.

We all knew this year was absolutely going to be some sort of a transition year after how last year ended. Especially after we went ahead and got rid of one our best players and watched our o line just get worse than it already was to finish last year.

The only reason we were in a position to be so far ahead to me was because of Vrabel this year.

If Kyle Shanahan was our OC it's not like we were going to win the Super Bowl. 

Let's be real. Vrabel was working the system the best he could with what he had. It takes talent to win in this league.

One on one matchups. Week in and week out most of the "talent" on this team is out matched, but Vrabel does way better than most coaches dealt the given hand.

Our depth chart on offense is an absolute joke this year.

Just now, twotonebluenation said:

I just think it's incredible how alot of people praise Vrabel for making water out of wine and now when Vrabel is in a complete desert because of Robinson even the slightest idea of tearing Vrabel down is hilarious to me.

We all knew this year was absolutely going to be some sort of a transition year after how last year ended. Especially after we went ahead and got rid of one our best players and watched our o line just get worse than it already was to finish last year.

The only reason we were in a position to be so far ahead to me was because of Vrabel this year.

If Kyle Shanahan was our OC it's not like we were going to win the Super Bowl. 

Let's be real. Vrabel was working the system the best he could with what he had. It takes talent to win in this league.

One on one matchups. Week in and week out most of the "talent" on this team is out matched, but Vrabel does way better than most coaches dealt the given hand.

Our depth chart on offense is an absolute joke this year.

I don’t think that’s the point ppl are trying to make 

Vrabel has been great, special even, at being able to turn water into wine

but major decisions like sticking with Daley, sticking with Downing (or at least not trying to build a coherent offensive game plan), sticking with a guy like Swaim, keeping guys like Hollister…

those are the things that destroy a season. Our offense is TERRIBLE. Has been all year. Yes injuries played a big part, but it comes to a point where we also did ourselves zero favors. And that comes down to him

7 minutes ago, deeluxx3 said:

I don’t think that’s the point ppl are trying to make 

Vrabel has been great, special even, at being able to turn water into wine

but major decisions like sticking with Daley, sticking with Downing (or at least not trying to build a coherent offensive game plan), sticking with a guy like Swaim, keeping guys like Hollister…

those are the things that destroy a season. Our offense is TERRIBLE. Has been all year. Yes injuries played a big part, but it comes to a point where we also did ourselves zero favors. And that comes down to him

That's my point though. What do you expect this dude to do. Just run a gauntlet at every position and expect to make it work. He is doing this at every position right now. We are injured at a historical rate. Talent isn't just flying off the street.

At this point it's a revolving door at every position over the last two years. We praise his him for coaching up "x" position but rip him down for not making a change at "y" position. 

Give him pieces. Give him talent. Most importantly don't take those pieces away.

I am sure Vrabel wasn't like, " AJ, psshh, I don't need that chump, I can coach up this bum group."

I think that is some persona we are making out Vrabel to be because he has, so many times, done it.

Not saying he is right in every decision he makes. But damn, give the dude playmakers who can win matchups. How many guys on this team can win matchups based on talent alone?

Not enough to be better than the record we are to me.

If he doesn't recognize Todd's unawareness and fire him I can understand the frustration there. I never expected him to do it mid year. But playing musical chairs to figure out every position who gets injured every week, sorry I ain't gonna hold him over the coals. Cause more than not , he coaches dudes up and makes the right call in getting guys in the right position.

Idk. Vrabel is the least of my worries with this team. I truly believe he will understand if has to let someone go he will. I respect a majority of his evaluation.

35 minutes ago, twotonebluenation said:

That's my point though. What do you expect this dude to do. Just run a gauntlet at every position and expect to make it work. He is doing this at every position right now. We are injured at a historical rate. Talent isn't just flying off the street.

At this point it's a revolving door at every position over the last two years. We praise his him for coaching up "x" position but rip him down for not making a change at "y" position. 

Give him pieces. Give him talent. Most importantly don't take those pieces away.

I am sure Vrabel wasn't like, " AJ, psshh, I don't need that chump, I can coach up this bum group."

I think that is some persona we are making out Vrabel to be because he has, so many times, done it.

Not saying he is right in every decision he makes. But damn, give the dude playmakers who can win matchups. How many guys on this team can win matchups based on talent alone?

Not enough to be better than the record we are to me.

If he doesn't recognize Todd's unawareness and fire him I can understand the frustration there. I never expected him to do it mid year. But playing musical chairs to figure out every position who gets injured every week, sorry I ain't gonna hold him over the coals. Cause more than not , he coaches dudes up and makes the right call in getting guys in the right position.

Idk. Vrabel is the least of my worries with this team. I truly believe he will understand if has to let someone go he will. I respect a majority of his evaluation.

The sheer fact he stuck with Daley as long as he did/has without trying to find other options was just 100% on him and it cost us games. Our LT literally cost us games. If a QB does that, you pull him for the backup.

I didn’t expect Vrabel to fire downing mid-year and I don’t think any of us truly felt that was a high possibility. But to sign off on these horrific game plans and commit to this style of play is on Vrabel. Yes injuries and personnel are playing a big part … but Henry, Woods, Hooper, Chig, NWI have been healthy all year and we are struggling to score 10+ points a game. I know that all those guys have limitations in one way or another, and NWI is fringe in general … but that’s appalling. Appalling. And that’s on Vrabel

• Like 1

1 hour ago, deeluxx3 said:

The sheer fact he stuck with Daley as long as he did/has without trying to find other options was just 100% on him and it cost us games. Our LT literally cost us games. If a QB does that, you pull him for the backup.

I didn’t expect Vrabel to fire downing mid-year and I don’t think any of us truly felt that was a high possibility. But to sign off on these horrific game plans and commit to this style of play is on Vrabel. Yes injuries and personnel are playing a big part … but Henry, Woods, Hooper, Chig, NWI have been healthy all year and we are struggling to score 10+ points a game. I know that all those guys have limitations in one way or another, and NWI is fringe in general … but that’s appalling. Appalling. And that’s on Vrabel

man, i know this may not be entirely fair, but at some point the buck has to stop with vrabel on the injury front as well. i was willing to chalk up last year to bad luck- not anymore. all the rumors about how we're behind on sports science are just that- rumors. but frankly they're very easy to believe given our stone-age approach to...well, everything else. and even if that's not the case, how many times have we seen stuff like the situations with molden and dupree and so on and so forth where we're oh-so-careful in bringing them back but then of course as soon as they so much as touch the field again they're injured? how many times have we seen guys show up on the injury report with *concussions* yet they weren't even taken out of the game on sunday? something is deeply broken here, and i don't know what it is, but things have to change. drastically. the fact of the matter is there are teams that routinely struggle with injuries and there are teams that don't, and it's not all luck. whether it's how we practice, how we evaluate players that we acquire, how we treat, i have no idea. but it is in fact unique to our organization and if we can't figure out a better way of keeping our guys healthy it's gonna be on him, like it or not.

• Like 1

If Vrabel flat out refused to fire Downing, or to make changes to how they run practices, then I think the only recourse is to fire him.

We straight up will not win with Downing as OC, so the theoretically great coach that Vrabel is doesn’t matter if it only comes with baggage that absolutely will shackle the team and prevent it from actually winning anything big.

If that’s the scenario, then maybe he would leave for OSU. Though I still think he’d be more likely to take a job with another franchise than anything else, even in that situation.

• Like 1

Yeah, I think it's pretty cut and dry. If Vrabel flat out refuses to fire Downing and make the necessary changes to the offensive coaching staff, then we pretty much have no choice but to fire him. 

I love Vrabel and think he could be a Super Bowl winning coach at some point, but if his stubbornness and ego prevents him from making the obvious changes to the coaching staff and the roster (hello Dennis Daley) for the betterment of the franchise when they need to be made then we're dead in the water long term anyways with him at the helm.

If we're going to give Malik a legitimate shot to grow and turn into something we need to go the Ravens route and give the offense a complete makeover to give him the best shot to succeed. If we're not committed to doing that then I don't know why we drafted him in the first place, and that falls under the "Vrabel is too stubborn to change" narrative as well, because putting a guy like Malik in this box where you just run the Tannehill offense with a couple more RPOs is not going to be inducive to success for Malik and this team if we go the Malik route next year or the year after. You have to fully buy into that "Lamar blueprint" if you're going to give Malik a real chance, and I don't know if Vrabel will allow himself to do that.

I just want to get our offense out of the dark ages, and I worry that's never going to happen under Vrabel.