Cut or keep 2023?

LoganF89

Carson Wentz- I think we all know this one. Saves 26 million

Logan Thomas- he’s become brittle to be honest, we could save 5.25 million with 3.5 dead cap

Chase Roullier- he basically has been hurt for two full seasons when you think about it. Saves 7.7 million with a dead cap of 5.1 million

we are projected 20 million next year but that could jump all the way up to 59 million with those 3 cuts. Giving us plenty of cap to resign Payne and improve the team. I for one don’t think we should bring back Holcomb if it’s not a team friendly deal

I know it’s far too early to discuss this but any insight on who may be available in FA this coming year? We have a lot of promising players on the roster currently and with fan selling I see FAs may want to actually come here. 

The QB situation will be insteresting. I honestly think we go into next year with Heinicke and Howell in a competition. Heinicke isn’t the best but he’s a guy the teammates want to play for.

15 minutes ago, LoganF89 said:

Logan Thomas- he’s become brittle to be honest, we could save 5.25 million with 3.5 dead cap

Chase Roullier- he basically has been hurt for two full seasons when you think about it. Saves 7.7 million with a dead cap of 5.1 million

we are projected 20 million next year but that could jump all the way up to 59 million with those 3 cuts. Giving us plenty of cap to resign Payne and improve the team. I for one don’t think we should bring back Holcomb if it’s not a team friendly deal

I know it’s far too early to discuss this but any insight on who may be available in FA this coming year? We have a lot of promising players on the roster currently and with fan selling I see FAs may want to actually come here. 

The QB situation will be insteresting. I honestly think we go into next year with Heinicke and Howell in a competition. Heinicke isn’t the best but he’s a guy the teammates want to play for.

Good post/ points . I like the thoughts cept I won't be surprised if Jimmy G is driving the bus in 2023. They wanted him this year until he decided on shoulder surgery .

35 minutes ago, LoganF89 said:

Cut Wentz and Thomas. Keep Roullier because I think we just restructured him. 

Cut wentz obviously.

I keep Thomas.  I would trade him before I cut him.

You have to cut Roullier.  Way too expensive and is he really ever gonna be healthy again?  I move on from him.  We need a stud center.  THis was the mistake last year, they assumed he would be able to come back.  Don't make the same mistake twice.

1. You either have Wentz take a pay cut to stay & compete to be our starter again while only making like $10 mil, or you straight up cut him.

2. I’d say you restructure Roullier, and you also draft a C in round 2 or 4 which may start or not. If the young C beats out Roullier or is about the same, you can trade Roullier or just cut him late August. I don’t like cutting Roullier though bc it just opens up a massive hole.

3. I can’t imagine not re-signing Holcomb unless he’s offered some crazy contract from another team, which I can’t imagine. Everyone complained about our projected LB starters all offseason (Holcomb & Jamin) they played pretty well this season, they’re young & will only grow & develop into a good tandem as the years go on. 

Not re-signing Holcomb makes zero sense to me. We don’t have good depth at LB, creating a hole starting at LB just makes that issue worse when if we re-sign Holcomb and draft a LB in round 3 or 4 to back him up, then we’ve upgraded our depth & gotten younger.

4. Keeping Payne is a must even if it sadly means we lose Sweat in 2024 or 25. We can create more cap room by cutting or restructuring Wentz. We can restructure Allen, Kendall Fuller, Roullier & Thomas to create room.

5. I would just restructure Logan Thomas. I see no reason to cut him even if he’s battled injuries the last two years. Again, it just doesn’t make sense, it creates an unnecessary hole at TE. We all knew Logan was coming off the ACL & wouldn’t look right the first month of the season. 

6. For QB, I would re-sign Heinicke & cut Wentz. Then, I would draft a QB to add to the competition between Heinicke & Howell.

I do worry though that Rivera will double down on Wentz and use the broken finger as an excuse as to why he didn’t world out in his first year in DC and/or him being in a new offense the first month of the year & everyone learning & then the broken finger issue.

On 11/30/2022 at 3:43 PM, MKnight82 said:

Cutting Roullier just creates an unnecessary hole on the roster IMO.  So ya they'll probably do it. 

I just think Roullier was a massive over pay at the time he got his extension. He got 4 years 40 million to play center….. to me he’s an average starter. Not a 10 mill per star. Honestly Larson has been doing a great job starting at center so far. Just feel like like we could get something better or roll with someone just as good that stays on the field for less

1 hour ago, LoganF89 said:

I just think Roullier was a massive over pay at the time he got his extension. He got 4 years 40 million to play center….. to me he’s an average starter. Not a 10 mill per star. Honestly Larson has been doing a great job starting at center so far. Just feel like like we could get something better or roll with someone just as good that stays on the field for less

Roullier is a top 10 ish center when healthy. He can’t control getting injured. I say restructure Roullier contract lower his cap hit & have him, Larson & a rookie we draft who’s a C/G type in round 2 or 4/5 compete for the job. If the young guy looks good in July/August then you trade Roullier in late August for something.

17 hours ago, turtle28 said:

2. I’d say you restructure Roullier, and you also draft a C in round 2 or 4 which may start or not. If the young C beats out Roullier or is about the same, you can trade Roullier or just cut him late August. I don’t like cutting Roullier though bc it just opens up a massive hole.

Can't do it again. We just did it in October.

https://nfltraderumors.co/commanders-restructuring-contract-of-c-chase-roullier/#:~:text=Field Yates reports that the,%243 million in cap space.

4. Keeping Payne is a must even if it sadly means we lose Sweat in 2024 or 25. We can create more cap room by cutting or restructuring Wentz. We can restructure Allen, Kendall Fuller, Roullier & Thomas to create room.

5. I would just restructure Logan Thomas. I see no reason to cut him even if he’s battled injuries the last two years. Again, it just doesn’t make sense, it creates an unnecessary hole at TE. We all knew Logan was coming off the ACL & wouldn’t look right the first month of the season. 

It doesn't save THAT much. Cut and resign would possibly be better. The out is this offseason.

5 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

Can't do it again. We just did it in October.

https://nfltraderumors.co/commanders-restructuring-contract-of-c-chase-roullier/#:~:text=Field Yates reports that the,%243 million in cap space.

It doesn't save THAT much. Cut and resign would possibly be better. The out is this offseason.

Thanks MikeT, well then put me in the keep Logan & Roullier column while possibly cutting or trading Roullier in late August if we’re comfortable with moving forward with a rookie we draft & Larsen. Keeping Logan is a no-brainer to me. Neither Bates nor Cole Turner have broken out when Logan wasn’t 100% earlier in the year. Amari Rogers has flashed some, but he’s not a starter at this point IMO.

4 hours ago, LoganF89 said:

We have plenty of cap space.  Why are you going to cut a guy who’s a good starter when healthy just to get more cap space? Realistically we will sign 2-3 impact FAs (if that) and have maybe 2 or 3 draft picks that can come in to compete to start (most will likely just be depth).  Cutting Roullier adds an unnecessary need to the list.

Also, to replace Roullier with a cheaper option that will play just as good or better you’re probably talking about having to spend a high draft pick on a Center. If that’s the case, I would rather just keep Roullier, draft a Guard that can also play Center, cut one of the Panther Guards and plug the rookie in at Guard with him as insurance in case Roullier goes down again.

Edited by MKnight82
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, MikeT14 said:

Where do you see anywhere that we can’t restructure Roullier’s contract again? I’m not saying restructure it now, I’m saying restructure his contract on the day the new league year starts in 2023 in March to create cap room to re-sign some of our free agents & sign a few FAs.