GDT - Week 13 - The Bills come to town.

Iron_man

4 hours ago, Crimmage said:

Unless they suddenly sign Lamar Jackson they aren't going to give up on Mac this offseason. They have no better option. 

The only thing that could happen is drafting another middle round guy to develop.. but Richardson will probably end up going in the 2nd round even though he needs a lot of work to be a starter. That and drafting him would be admitting they should have found a way to get Fields. 

Right now you've got to try and put Mac in as good of a position as possible for year 3. 

They can start with two very simple things (in theory). Give him a better OL (can be done in off season) and give him an actual OC. Ideally, using concepts he’s used before. This one is trickier but can be done

those two things would go most of the way

4 minutes ago, Hunter2_1 said:

They can start with two very simple things (in theory). Give him a better OL (can be done in off season) and give him an actual OC. Ideally, using concepts he’s used before. This one is trickier but can be done

those two things would go most of the way

The sad thing is both of those things will be tough to do: 

1) This isn't a great OT free agent class, from what I remember Mike McGlinchey is probably the only young, good guy that will be available. He is young though, so if you want him you're going to have to spend $$ to get him. After him the drop off is significant. He is 27 so you can confidently give him a 3-4 year deal and at least have the position set for a couple years. 

2) This isn't a great OT draft class at the top ( this could change but already 1 top OT has gone back to school). You've either got to pick the best guy available in the teens or hope to get a guy with high upside later on to sit for a year behind Trent Brown. 

The best case scenario to me would be: 

- Sign McGlinchey to play RT

- Extend Onwenu at RG so you don't need to worry about RG for awhile

LT -> Trent Brown / Dawand Jones (2nd Rnd)

LG -> Cole Strange / James Ferentz

C -> David Andrews / Kody Russey (if they love him) / Day 3 IOL 

RG -> Mike Onwenu / Chasen Hines

RT -> Mike McGlinchey / Day 3 OT / Andrew Stueber

They will have 35-40M in cap space.. RT should 100% be the minute 1 signing. 

3) Bill O'Brien is the only option for OC that seems realistic. He's 1000x better than Patricia but not exactly new age offense either... that and Alabama fans seem to hate him... and he's not a long term solution if he's focused on getting another HC job. Bill is going to want to finalize this issue for the rest of his career (3-5 years?)

Guys off the top of my head that they should consider but likely wont: 

- Zac Robinson, he was drafted by the Patriots and has 4 years of coaching experience. QB coach and pass game coordinator for the Rams. If you could lock him up you'd be in good shape. The Rams are a mess which is the only chance I think you could pry him away with the OC title. But BB doesn't like titles.. so I doubt he comes for a lesser position. 

- Brian Griese, former QB, current QB coach for the 49ers. Only has 1 year of coaching experience so you'd prefer someone who has a better handle on the offense.. but he comes from Kyle Shannahan and that's the type of offense that BB was trying to duplicate this offseason. 

- Joe Brady, former OC for Joe Burrow. He is more of a spread guy but he could be a good guy to bring a more modern look to this offense. He also is with the Bills so BB could enjoy taking a guy from that organization. The reason why I don't expect this to happen is that he was available last offseason.. you could have had him be your QB coach this year.. then promote him to OC. The odds of BB wanting him now are slim. 

- Holmon Wiggins, Alabama WR coach. He has been known as the young guy who would probably take over as OC at Alabama. If for some reason Bill O'Brien stays.. he could want a promotion and it's possible Saban pushes him over to BB. He's known as a young coach with ideas, etc. etc. which is really what you need for an offense.. someone who is going to be creative.. but once again unlikely BB goes after him. 

If Bill O'Brien doesn't come... I'll just continue hoping that BB calls Zac Robinson ( who he should have called last year too) 

16 hours ago, Iron_man said:

Am I the only one who noticed Miles Bryant doing that weird chicken stance over a receiver like not trying to touch him? That stood out most to me about this game. I was like what are you doing, tag him down.

He did, he was waiting to punch the ball out, so when he started to come up, he punched. They showed it from a different angle a minute later.

I thought the same thing at 1st, however it was a smart play after seeing  the replay. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, CP3MVP said:

I remember bringing up mac Jones ceiling last year and got a pushback. There was someone who kept saying “ well why can’t he be as good as Joe burrow?” 😂

It's really hard to comment on that one.. Joe Burrow was always going to be his absolute perfect case ceiling. The biggest thing for most people imo is they saw last year as his floor... but the floor fell out from under him this season. My stance right now is that I can't judge him at all for this season.. it's 100% a lost season and you can only hope that you haven't caused permanent damage to his development. If you get a good OC, at least average OL / Receivers to put around him.. then I'll start judging Mac again.

It probably would be a good idea to keep throwing darts at QB though in that 4th round area like they did last year. Get a guy every year and if Mac isn't the guy, maybe you can find a future QB that way. Teams need a good backup QB, you could probably trade Zappe for a 4th/5th and just keep the cycle going. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Crimmage said:

It's really hard to comment on that one.. Joe Burrow was always going to be his absolute perfect case ceiling. The biggest thing for most people imo is they saw last year as his floor... but the floor fell out from under him this season. My stance right now is that I can't judge him at all for this season.. it's 100% a lost season and you can only hope that you haven't caused permanent damage to his development. If you get a good OC, at least average OL / Receivers to put around him.. then I'll start judging Mac again.

It probably would be a good idea to keep throwing darts at QB though in that 4th round area like they did last year. Get a guy every year and if Mac isn't the guy, maybe you can find a future QB that way. Teams need a good backup QB, you could probably trade Zappe for a 4th/5th and just keep the cycle going. 

I not going to compare Mac with anyone for the reason you gave however Burrow has lost Chase this year and he not reaching his numbers.  Mac doesn't have anything. Just Saying!!!!!

3 hours ago, 1ForTheThumb said:

You watch Patricia is going to be replaced by Adam Gase

That would be an improvement... but still awful. 

It feels like Bill O'Brien is the guy at this point.. and if not.. I've honestly got no idea. Kraft could force him to hire someone (he may quit if he does) or he could just be convinced that MattyP got his training year out of the way and next year would be better. 

Unfortunately, we kind of need to hope that the offense goes further off the rails.. like really bad.. and players continue to complain through the media so that Kraft and BB have no choice but to make changes. If given the chance.. I fully believe BB will consider this a training year for Judge and Patricia