Highsmith

3rivers

What I take away there is Highsmith is a better edge setter and run defender than those guys, putting up similar numbers as a Robin while those guys tend to have been the focal point pass rusher for their team. (Not trying to discredit anything you did because it’s a good point)

If you have a contending team with cap space and have that edge guy already then signing Highsmith might be worth that amount (I’m about to do something so don’t have the time to really dive into who that fits). I think there’s nothing wrong with Highsmith being a great Robin to Watts Batman and making something comparable to that. If someone wants to pay him like those Tier 3 “Batman light” guys, I rather see Highsmith walk than paid by us. 

6 hours ago, warfelg said:

If someone wants to pay him like those Tier 3 “Batman light” guys, I rather see Highsmith walk than paid by us.

I will say, I do not advocate extending Highsmith. He is a good player and I won’t complain if they do because we have cash, but I wouldn’t. 

I just find the art of NFL contracts interesting. No one, and I mean absolutely no one, is paid what they are worth. They are paid what they can get and that’s based off comparisons. Highsmith has enough similarities to be a $17M to $20M (right now) conversation guy - and that’s likely what it would take on an extension. I think the Steelers should take their 2 more years on 4th year and tag and draft someone in the 3rd/4th in hopes of replacement at 1/17th the cost next to Watt. 

Edited by Dcash4
  • Like 1

On 12/1/2022 at 6:55 PM, mwalker said:

It'd be good to find a proper back up or even potentially 

JJ Watt, can play inside on passing down and outside all the time.  Not sure he would like to get paid much less than his younger brother though😆

8 hours ago, warfelg said:

Highsmith is in the $12-15mil range.

seems feasible.  Trade DJ and this covers that. Sign AJ Green  as well to mentor the young WR's 👍

5 hours ago, Dcash4 said:

Anything under $16M you just go ahead and name Khan GM of the year immediately.

See how this goes, no idea what Khan has in mind or his philosophy . Highsmith keeps improving , so that also looks promising for the next few years of the deal.  He didn't take over as well as I hoped after TJ got hurt, so that will affect the deal he gets. 

4 hours ago, 3rivers said:

JJ Watt, can play inside on passing down and outside all the time.  Not sure he would like to get paid much less than his younger brother though😆

seems feasible.  Trade DJ and this covers that. Sign AJ Green  as well to mentor the young WR's 👍

See how this goes, no idea what Khan has in mind or his philosophy . Highsmith keeps improving , so that also looks promising for the next few years of the deal.  He didn't take over as well as I hoped after TJ got hurt, so that will affect the deal he gets. 

Hmm.
Not really on board with this, to be honest.
I don't think JJ helps us or anyone much next season. 
AJ Green should retire. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Dcash4 said:

I will say, I do not advocate extending Highsmith. He is a good player and I won’t complain if they do because we have cash, but I wouldn’t. 

I just find the art of NFL contracts interesting. No one, and I mean absolutely no one, is paid what they are worth. They are paid what they can get and that’s based off comparisons. Highsmith has enough similarities to be a $17M to $20M (right now) conversation guy - and that’s likely what it would take on an extension. I think the Steelers should take their 2 more years on 4th year and tag and draft someone in the 3rd/4th in hopes of replacement at 1/17th the cost next to Watt. 

Well said. I think Highsmith is going to be a polarizing player in his FA class. Is he a good pass rusher or a product of Watt/Cam being some of the best at their positions? Get him on a deal ($12-15aav) and you can be Exec of the Year type position. Get him at the other end ($17-21aav) and I think your job could be at risk. I can see a team like the Jets or Jags making that big commitment, but I can see teams like Cleveland, Miami, Buffalo trying to get him on a deal. I think the unknown is what he wants. 

Although to give an alternative to your 3rd/4th round pick. What about a value FA signing? Thinking target someone with 4-6 sacks a season and get a 3/$15mil deal done. Basically buy a season of not having to draft someone. 

I think my ideal for Highsmith would be an extension this summer like DJs. Basically buy out a 2024 franchise gage by forwarding him money now and having a reasonable salary beyond that without much guaranteed. 

7 hours ago, mwalker said:

Hmm.
Not really on board with this, to be honest.
I don't think JJ helps us or anyone much next season. 
AJ Green should retire. 

Since week 6 (iirc) JJ Watt leads the league in pressures. I would love JJ to be here but Leal I think will develop into something and JJ will be a luxury. JJ should become that 1 year $10mil hired gun guy and go get a ring. Makes him a HOF lock. 

11 hours ago, warfelg said:

Since week 6 (iirc) JJ Watt leads the league in pressures. I would love JJ to be here but Leal I think will develop into something and JJ will be a luxury. JJ should become that 1 year $10mil hired gun guy and go get a ring. Makes him a HOF lock. 

I never implied we would get 2015 JJ, but he would be a great leader and wouldn't be a drop off if TJ or  Highsmith need a rest or get injured. No drop off at all, just change the scheme a bit. That is a 3x DPOY over there, make it work coaches. 

JJ could mentor Leal as well as Highsmith a bit.  

The idea here is take whats good and make it dominant and versatile even if an injury happens. We saw what happened this year when TJ went out.  Top not LT or LG in UFA could be costly, so perhaps the draft there. 

JJ is a lock 1st ballot anyways or better be. 

On 12/2/2022 at 7:43 AM, AFF said:

It’s hard to let a proven pass rusher go but I’m not sure Highsmith is worth top 5-7 Edge $$$ despite our cap space looking really good after this offseason.

Its why I’m ok with Anderson in the 1st…you basically just used your 2023 1st on a 2024 huge need.

I know they wouldn’t do it but he would be a very interesting Tyreek Hill/AJ Brown situation where if they think they wouldn’t want to pay him long term, trade him this offseason for another 1st and a mid rounder or 2

What is this thinking?!?? You're not allowed to thinkkk. 

1) Timing of cash flows is not right

2) Highsmith is replaceable, TJ is not

3) What can I get for him?

Chatter: If I don't wanna pay him $20m per and soak 25% of the cap into two starting OLBs that still get beat by a QB throwing a 10 yd hitch

Standard progression for every player, really. Like most players, churn and burn. Keep the very best and sign them to top 10 contracts whose skill merits the figure, stack this action, rinse, and repeat.

If done with great vigor, you will accumulate more talent than other teams (i.e. salary cap)

I had Highsmith pegged at a swap of 1.08 (via Phi via New Orleans) for 2.34 plus some eagles luggage (3rd and 4th) bc I really like that value.

I don't think you get a flat out first, so you have to get creative. I think you stay stingy at a 2nd and tag unless you have enough perpetual motion (momentum) with gobbling up picks where it makes sense to take the pick bc of said value proposition (i.e. draft class) in relation to the field. (Say 120 to 55)

If you can move Highsmith, then you can easily move DJ for an early 2nd to say Green Bay. And if you move both of them, Najee for a 3rd is also good business.

Honestly, getting picks is the textbook definition of creating a value proposition (which has the most value)

I think it's important to move Highsmith. And I drafted him.

Would you believe I drafted Diontae Johnson 25 times, too? 

👷

Rank

Alex Highsmith

Pittsburgh Steelers · Year 3
  • OVERALL SCORE: 92

While T.J. Watt’s pectoral injury had an overall negative impact for the Steelers, his absence did allow Highsmith to emerge as an elite pass rusher. Highsmith has played a career-high 86 percent of the Steelers’ defensive snaps this season, and the greater opportunity has led to a bigger impact on the field. Highsmith has racked up 49 QB pressures this season, trailing only Myles Garrett’s 52 among players at all positions. Highsmith has twice as many sacks (10) as any other Steelers player, as he stepped into a leading role with Watt sidelined for seven games. The Steelers are 4-1 in games that both Watt and Highsmith have played in, and they will need to continue that pace if they are going to make up ground in the playoff race.

Highsmith deserves the recognition and is getting it. If TJ can get healthy, it could get interesting vs these teams we played without TJ.  Skeptical overall but it could be watchable , unlike the first meeting vs the bills. That was one of the worst game in years.  Keep Highsmith, sign him and be set. Restructure some other deals if need be, but he ain't goin nowhere

10 hours ago, 3rivers said:

Highsmith deserves the recognition and is getting it. If TJ can get healthy, it could get interesting vs these teams we played without TJ.  Skeptical overall but it could be watchable , unlike the first meeting vs the bills. That was one of the worst game in years.  Keep Highsmith, sign him and be set. Restructure some other deals if need be, but he ain't goin nowhere

We should have the money to sign him and not worry about restructuring deals. Perks of a rookie deal QB. I hope he takes a deal that buys out his franchise tag years. Maybe a 2 year extension on top of next years deal?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MOSteelers56 said:

We should have the money to sign him and not worry about restructuring deals. Perks of a rookie deal QB. I hope he takes a deal that buys out his franchise tag years. Maybe a 2 year extension on top of next years deal?

I would think a 4 year extension overall so 3 years after next, and see  if that helps the cap.  That will be Khans work in the offseason.  Too bad TJ isn't near 100% right now, it would be nice to see them own like they did week 1.