WEEK 13: Bronco's @ Ravens

AKRNA

On a related note - ACL injuries, high-ankle sprains, AC injuries - those are bad-luck, game-impact injuries.  Can't do much about that.  Bolles, Patrick, Jeudy, etc. - not much you can do there staff-wise. 

But soft tissue injuries - that's all about flexibility/stretching.    The sheer number of soft-tissue injuries of late, it's entirely fair to question the training staff practices here.

• Like 2

BTW, in case we hear this from Hackett this week - if he says we need to be better on 3rd down, it once again shows how little he understands.

We can definitely be better on 3rd down - but it helps when we're not stuck on 3rd and long so much.   This graph shows it better than any other piece of data can:

It's not just about 3rd down, it's about being better on 1st/2nd so we have 3rd and short, or better yet, don't have 3rd down.   I'm not expecting much will change, but given this is Hackett's go-to line about the O struggles.....well, figured it was relevant.

20 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

BTW, in case we hear this from Hackett this week - if he says we need to be better on 3rd down, it once again shows how little he understands.

We can definitely be better on 3rd down - but it helps when we're not stuck on 3rd and long so much.   This graph shows it better than any other piece of data can:

It's not just about 3rd down, it's about being better on 1st/2nd so we have 3rd and short, or better yet, don't have 3rd down.   I'm not expecting much will change, but given this is Hackett's go-to line about the O struggles.....well, figured it was relevant.

The problem is we can’t run the ball and Russ is maybe the worst early down passer I’ve ever seen.  It’s incredible how bad he is in situations that favor throwing the ball for easy yards. So there are no good options on 1st and 10 or any other play.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

The problem is we can’t run the ball and Russ is maybe the worst early down passer I’ve ever seen.  It’s incredible how bad he is in situations that favor throwing the ball for easy yards. So there are no good options on 1st and 10 or any other play.

Totally fair - but when Hackett says our problem is 3rd down (again)….well, you get the idea.  

Edited by Broncofan

2 hours ago, Broncofan said:

Totally fair - but when Hackett says our problem is 3rd down (again)….well, you get the idea.  

Hackett is totally clueless, that’s for sure. I still would have been interested to see what the offense looked like with your average replacement level QB. I really think they would have moved the ball a lot better. Russ’ struggles on early downs are pretty unique. There is some stat floating around that no team has receivers getting open as consistently as the Broncos, or something to that effect. So as bad as Hackett’s game management and play sequencing is, the play design in the passing game is not really a problem. 

Edited by BroncoBruin
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, BroncoBruin said:

Hackett is totally clueless, that’s for sure. I still would have been interested to see what the offense looked like with your average replacement level QB. I really think they would have moved the ball a lot better. Russ’ struggles on early downs are pretty unique. There is some stat floating around that no team has receivers getting open as consistently as the Broncos, or something to that effect. So as bad as Hackett’s game management and play sequencing is, the play design in the passing game is not really a problem. 

Look at the Paton thread.   It’s true that Jeudy / Sutton are getting open.    It’s 2 weeks old so Sutton numbers may not be as good.  

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 1

Feels like a million years ago, but it’s still hard to believe the Russ we saw in Week 1 is the same guy we see today. He wasn’t perfect but remember the Broncos moved the ball up and down the field all game and Russ was really effective on 3rd down. His receivers and the two RBs blew 4-5 TD opportunities in that game. 

He has been horrible ever since. How does that happen? Did losing to his old team permanently break his brain? 

• Like 1