TNF GDT: Buffalo @ New England.

Broncofan

Who wins tonight?   

18 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins tonight?

1 hour ago, Hunter2_1 said:

Does any other team have a failed DC in as an experimental OC calling plays for a 2nd year QB?

The Steelers have a failed college OC calling their plays for a rookie. I'm fairly certain he'll join the long illustrious list of offensive coordinators the Steelers have had over the last decade who are now all coaching at the high school level next year.

I mean, at least Matt Patricia will probably be in the league coaching after he fails as an OC.

On a serious note, not to completely defend Belichick here, but it's got to be tough to have to constantly refill the ranks of your coaching staff every year because your guys are constantly being hired out from under you. I remember Cowher had that issue. It has not been much of an issue for the Steelers over the last 15 years.

Belichick staked a lot on this. I don't get it, personally, beyond that he wanted people in that position he had worked with and trusted. He picked wrong.

Edited by CKSteeler

Just now, biggie. said:

How can Patricia be a failed DC when we won three Super Bowls with him in that role and we routinely were top five in PA?

If you win Wimbledon doubles with Novak Djokovic as your partner, but crash out of the first round in the singles, are you a good tennis player?

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, CKSteeler said:

I think the argument is that Matt Patricia kind of look like a clown without Belichick holding his hand.

As a HC. Not exactly unprecedented for Belichick's assistants.

As our DC he clearly did a good job.

Edited by biggie.
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, biggie. said:

I remember he struggled in 2016 or 17 - I think your defense was historically bad through the first several weeks? Rough start. And then didn't Belichick revoke some responsibilities or take over or something like that and suddenly you guys were good again?

I do remember Patricia being considered an absolute genius and innovator on defense, though.

1 hour ago, HoboRocket said:

I remember he struggled in 2016 or 17 - I think your defense was historically bad through the first several weeks? Rough start. And then didn't Belichick revoke some responsibilities or take over or something like that and suddenly you guys were good again?

I do remember Patricia being considered an absolute genius and innovator on defense, though.

2017 was a down year for the defense, but the unit was amazing in 2016.  It only gave up 21 points to MVP Matt Ryan.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, biggie. said:

2017 was a down year for the defense, but the unit was amazing in 2016.  It only gave up 21 points to MVP Matt Ryan.

17! Makes sense. Because in 16 you guys were winning with injured Jimmy and rookie Jacoby while Brady was dealing with the dumbest suspension ever lol.

6 hours ago, biggie. said:

As a DC of a team which has arguably the greatest DC of all time as its HC, in the middle of a twenty year run of almost unrivalled defensive consistency, he did indeed contribute to good defenses. Defenses which did not miss a beat once he left and which he unable to recreate in other teams, despite signing some of his old players.

Hmmmmm.

The argument has always been that BB hires good coordinators that make bad HCs, but logically you have to consider that BB hires coordinators who are good at doing what one of the greatest football minds of all times tells them to do, or calling plays for the greatest quarterback of all time, and not much else.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, CKSteeler said:

The Steelers have a failed college OC calling their plays for a rookie. I'm fairly certain he'll join the long illustrious list of offensive coordinators the Steelers have had over the last decade who are now all coaching at the high school level next year.

I mean, at least Matt Patricia will probably be in the league coaching after he fails as an OC.

On a serious note, not to completely defend Belichick here, but it's got to be tough to have to constantly refill the ranks of your coaching staff every year because your guys are constantly being hired out from under you. I remember Cowher had that issue. It has not been much of an issue for the Steelers over the last 15 years.

Belichick staked a lot on this. I don't get it, personally, beyond that he wanted people in that position he had worked with and trusted. He picked wrong.

Canada was a fantastic OC/interim HC at Maryland so I wouldn’t say he was a failed college OC at all

Stinks in the pros tho