2023 NFL Draft

Crimmage

Now that we are nearing the College Football Playoffs it seems like a perfect time to start looking at NFL draft prospects who may be fits for the Patriots. 

Tonights game is going to be a good one USC vs Utah.. some players to keep an eye on: 

Jordan Addison, WR USC 

This isn't an elite WR class from everything I've seen/read but he could very well be the top guy taken in the 10-20 range. Don't think he is a Patriot style of receiver but he is a good guy to keep an eye on. 

Tuli Tuipulotu, DL USC

Dominant DL, 12.5 sacks. Currently probably a 2nd round pick but he could easily end up in the 1st round with a good combine

Clark Phillips III, CB Utah

Great player, small though, so I'd expect he will drop a bit come the combine.. projected to go in the late 1st, early 2nd to this point. 

Dalton Kincaid, TE Utah

Excellent receiving TE, has improved as a blocker in the last year but still needs work. He was called a poor mans Travis Kelce by multiple analysts. He doesn't look like an elite athlete which could push him down the board a bit but he is a guy with production that I think will translate to the next level. He's seen as a 2nd-3rd round pick and I think if you could get him with the Panthers 3rd you'd be looking at a day 1 impact player who would be a long term steal. He fits into my conspiracy theory of Hunter Henry getting traded / cut this offseason really well. 

A few guys to watch today

Quentin Johnston, WR, TCU

Top half of the first round guy. I personally don't see it but he's potentially the first WR off the board. He is a big, strong guy but I don't think he has the elite speed to be a special WR at the next level worthy of a top 10 pick. 

Dee Winters, LB, TCU

Day 3 guy, has burst but not elite speed. He's also small but high motor guy which the Patriots always love. He seems like a guy that teams will want to take a gamble on near the end of the draft and hope he can turn into a situational guy. 

Kayshon Boutte, WR, LSU

Was expected to break out this year.. but has taken a step back. Also had some drama early in the year where he removed all LSU photos from his social media. He seems like a guy who needs to be coached hard to get the most out of him.. which unfortunately I don't think the Patriots currently have the coaching staff to get done. He has good hands, good speed, idk if he has elite speed but he has a lot of potential. He feels like a guy who on the right team will become a steal. 

Kelee Ringo, CB, Georgia

Elite athlete, probably goes top 15. If BB wants a #1 CB he is probably going to be the first guy off the board based off his potential. 

Broderick Jones, OT, Georgia

Heck of an athlete, but he is still a bit raw. I think that he goes top 15 but many have projected him anywhere from top 10 to top 30. If he is there at the Patriots first round pick, I think it would be highly likely that he is the pick. 

Christopher Smith, S, Georgia

Known for having good ball skills, not a day 1 starter but could be someone BB sees as a future piece. I think he's an early day 3 guy. 

Bryan Bresee, DL, Clemson

Could be a top 10 pick, #1 recruit in 2020 but has a bit of an injury history. BB historically doesn't like Clemson from what I recall. 

Trenton Simpson, LB, Clemson

1st round guy, has some pass rushing ability and 225lbs. Will be interesting if BB admits to his mistake of not going after a top LB last year and wants to go after a LB in the first round this year. 

Josh Downs, WR, UNC

He doesn't have Tryeek Hill top end speed but he has elite burst. If you want a day 1 slot that can make a difference.. he is a heck of an option. Being a slot receiver and smaller guy... he could be there at the beginning of the 2nd round.. but it's totally going to depend on the combine. If he crushes it.. I think he could end up being a first round pick. 

Tony Grimes, CB, UNC

3rd-4th round guy.. has the height to be successful but only 1 INT in his college career. He has speed and profiles as a man corner which the Patriots like, he could be a guy on their radar given his athletic profile and their experience bringing out the best in secondary players. 

Storm Duck, CB, UNC

Also a great athlete similar to Grimes. A knock is his tackling. Probably a day 3 guy. From what I've read their defense plays very conservative so they've been harder to judge. Both of their corners have the athletic profile to compete at the next level but probably need 1-2 years before starting. 

Cornelius Johnson, WR, Michigan

He has size and strength but isn't an elite athlete. I think the combine is going to be huge for him, but 6'3 210 is going to be desirable for many teams. His hands seem to be questionable. He sort of reminds me of a bigger Romeo Doubs based off his profile... maybe a 4th round guy. 

DJ Turner, CB, Michigan

Early day 3 guy. He is said to have run a 4.28 40 and have an amazing 3-cone of 6.29. If he blows up the combine we could hear about him being the next Tariq Woolen. The difference being that Woolen didn't have nearly as fluid hips / agility to go along with his straight line speed. BB is known to like Michigan, I could see them really falling in love with DJ Turner. Knocks on him are tackling and penalties.. but I think a year in that #3 CB role would do wonders for him similar to Jack Jones this year. 

Ryan Hayes, OT, Michigan

BB has had success with Michigan OL in the past. Hayes is projected as a 3rd round guy right now.. could be someone who they go after, especially if he makes it to one of their many 4th round picks. He is known for playing with a mean streak in the run game.. he kind of reminds me of Onwenu based off draft profiles. Read a lot about how he's an athletic player but basically has mechanics issues.. if the Patriots had a real OL coach I would feel much better about a lot of his issues being fixable. 

Nolan Smith    One of my early favorites.

40 time = 4.5

He’s very good in coverage when looking into the backfield in zone coverage.

Ferocious against the run and very good in coverage, is extremely versatile

https://www.nfldraftbuzz.com/Player/Nolan-Smith-LB-Georgia

------------------------------------------------

Antonio Johnson, DB, Texas A&M

40 time =4.4

Does everything.  He plays all positions at safety.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UdAU9iFjHJg

----------------------------------------------------

• Like 1

2 hours ago, m haynes said:

Nolan Smith    One of my early favorites.

40 time = 4.5

He’s very good in coverage when looking into the backfield in zone coverage.

Ferocious against the run and very good in coverage, is extremely versatile

https://www.nfldraftbuzz.com/Player/Nolan-Smith-LB-Georgia

How would you picture him fitting on this team? 

He's 235, small for an OLB in their system. That and you've got Judon locked into one side, along with Uche who's emerged with a mixture of Tavai/Jennings to get the rest of the snaps. He's going to be a first round pick, so he has to play right away.. but I just can't see where he would play. Unless of course someone offers BB a 1st round pick for Judon. The only reason why I would trade Judon is because he will be 31 next year and given how many pieces this team needs... probably will be out of his prime by the time the rebuild is complete. 

1 hour ago, Crimmage said:

How would you picture him fitting on this team? 

He's 235, small for an OLB in their system. That and you've got Judon locked into one side, along with Uche who's emerged with a mixture of Tavai/Jennings to get the rest of the snaps. He's going to be a first round pick, so he has to play right away.. but I just can't see where he would play. Unless of course someone offers BB a 1st round pick for Judon. The only reason why I would trade Judon is because he will be 31 next year and given how many pieces this team needs... probably will be out of his prime by the time the rebuild is complete. 

This kid is a heck of a player. He's country  strong and plays bigger. I see him adding 10 pounds.  I never pass talent for need. Yes need is important but its only part of thr overall evaluation.

BB definition of a LB-er is outdated and he has to make changes. I think he started with the Wilson trade.  Where to play him would be up to the coaches. Smart coach would make it happen.

He plays for UG for the last 50 years  !!!!! and he's seen everything, played against high level opponents.  He's a draft pick that will give a good sleep at night after the draft!.

Forgot  Uche,  He's has chronic leg injuries, same with Harris  I want to replace him as soon as possible.  You can't rely on him, he's hurt getting out of bed. and IMO hasn't done anything since they drafted him.  Bills game doesn't count he went up against ......... ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Harris signs anything other than a team friendly deal is asinine!  Just to make everyone aware, he is a real good player, but I'm not giving him candy and flowers!

• Like 1

Charlie Jones feels like a Patriots UDFA type guy. 

He's nothing like Welker/Edelman like many are saying online though. You can tell he doesn't have the elite agility / speed. He feels much more like a smaller Jacobi Meyers to me. Jim Nagy seems to agree

This stuff is always interesting, and fun to read. Your knowledge is impressive, and I trust your scouting skills. 

However, you know it's all in vain, don't you. You can find all the perfect fits for this team you want - and they're going to draft Cole Strange in the first round, and 3 CBs from smallish schools.

I have given up mocking players to the Patriots. Our picks are too sensible.

3 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

This stuff is always interesting, and fun to read. Your knowledge is impressive, and I trust your scouting skills. 

However, you know it's all in vain, don't you. You can find all the perfect fits for this team you want - and they're going to draft Cole Strange in the first round, and 3 CBs from smallish schools.

I have given up mocking players to the Patriots. Our picks are too sensible.

Haha, thank you. It's primarily for fun tbo.. especially during the offseason. I've never been huge about the draft but researching players over the last couple years has gone a long way towards getting me to watch some college football. 

That and I see a lot of these boards for other teams get so hyped up throughout the season for the draft that I get jealous :D

90% of our favorite guys won't get picked.. but I have to say, it's an incredible feeling when they do lol. I had Cole Strange in plenty of mocks last year.. I just had him in the 3rd. Marcus Jones too, right around where he was picked. 

Especially this year, the Patriots have a lot of picks.. 11 in total. This is also taking into account they are one of the most trade happy teams in the league. We could see 6-8 players picked in the top 4 rounds. That along with being a top 10 team in cap space, this offseason is going to be interesting. 

Kayshon Boutte has decided to go back to school, surprising because he could have been a 1st round pick. 

Drew Sanders, LB out of Arkansas is declaring for the draft. He transferred from Alabama and was dominant this season. 9.5 sacks and over 100 tackles. He is expected to test really well so I'll be curious to see where he ends up going in the draft. It feels like he and Henry To'oto'o are going to be drafted in a similar range, maybe even one gets taken then a team trades up to take the other. That 30-50 range seems like quite the sweet spot for those two. Given the Alabama connection, those two guys seem like likely Patriot targets if they want a LB early. 

I love the draft all the way back to AM radio announcing picks during news breaks. They only announced known players such as OJ.  The Patriots under Chuck Fairbanks were great drafting. I hit on many players than. Today with BB I very rarely hit on a player. It funny I usually hit in the lower rounds with Pats.

Also I love to see the players I like or hated to see how they turned out. Pissed when we pass on my guy and see him killing it in the NFL EX Deebo, Renfrow, and Terry McLaurin.  I do miss sometimes!!!!!  Metcalf and Chris Olave.

Edited by m haynes

18 minutes ago, Crimmage said:

Told you Olave would have looked amazing on the Patriots haha 

Even though the Saints were pretty dumb to give up 2 firsts for him

🤣 Ha Ha I must of had a BB moment!!!   I leaned a valuable lessen. If they talk about press and dump and run, it means they don't know crap. It right there with 50/50 Harry crap!!!

I had Dotson early, but shy away-ed  with the press garbage.

Dalton Kincaid not even being considered for best TE in the country is nuts. He's going to get into the NFL and prove a lot of people wrong... he will be a poor mans Kelce and have a LONG career. If teams are dumb enough to let him fall to the 3rd round I'm ok with it though.. that would be a steal for the Patriots with the Carolina pick. He feels like a much safer bet than most of the receivers that will be available in the 50-80 range. 

Deuce Vaughn is another guy to keep in mind. If they aren't sold on Pierre Strong as the next James White.. Vaughn is a guy who could be available day 3 who can do the job. He is small which will cause him to drop.. but he looks like a faster Danny Woodhead on from the little I've seen.