2023 NFL Draft

Crimmage

2 minutes ago, m haynes said:

I would go with  Sam LaPorta from Iowa. I like their TE's.  His numbers don't reflect his skills, running team.   Both TE go in the 2/3 rd in the mocks, I say 3rd for both.

No All Pro TE's... but a loaded TE draft with guys who can be starters. Give me the guy with the highest RAS who has good hands and can be a decent enough blocker. 

I hope it gives them two picks in the 2nd. Trade in if you have to

I would be totally fine with that .. a fun scenario would be if the Steelers want to make a splash. Imagine 17 for 34 and 44? I would do that in an instant, slight overpay by Steelers but if they want a player I think they do it to try and get back in the playoff picture. 

2nd Round ( 2 picks)  I come out with Nolan Smith and Zay Flowers. perfect in the slot.

Smith would be interesting .. I think you absolutely need an OT within the first two rounds though. 

Zay Flowers is a bust. I promise you.. he's not fast. He's quick, lots of contested catches.. I think he's fools gold. He also weighs even less than Marcus Jones.. at that point I think I would rather move Jones to the slot and at least get elite 4.3 speed. I'd gamble with Flowers in the 4th 

3rd   Sam LaPorta

IMO this draft should be heavy on the offensive side of the ball. My prediction taking @Hunter2_1 comment step further. Pats will draft heavey on the defensive side of the ball. They will look at the offense at the end for future ST players!!!!!

I agree that you should be looking at lots of offense at the top of the draft... it could really depend on what happens in free agency.

Jones 4.5 to Hyatts 4.2 tough to match.  I don't see 4.3 on the field with Jones but it based only  on the videos. I look at the other team and compare the speed, if that even possible.  some of the guys on any videos run like I do, if you get my drift.

Eye test there not even close when it comes to speed.

I thought that too at first.. but if you see some highlights where he's going against DJ Turner, who has legit 4.3 speed.. he's separating. That's what made me believe Jim Nagy saying he has 4.3 speed. Time will tell though :D

So  I guess @Crimmage this is your 2023 Wan'Dale Robinson 🤣

Sadly, no. I don't really love this WR class from what I have seen so far, I just expect Jones to become a Patriots draft target that everyone will talk about then not get drafted by the Pats. 

As I mentioned earlier it comes down to me is the fear factor and than hands and can he play.  The rest are minor details that draft sites use to fluff there opinions.   I guess the eastest way for me to say it.

Can  a WR do what Hyatt did against Bama's (high rated) db's. If they can, I want them on my team..

We are 100% in agreement there. Mac doesn't have elite speed to scare a defense.. so you need elite speed on the outside to scare teams and create space. 

I think Thornton could create space and Bourne could dominate in the short/intermediate with the right OC. Add another guy with speed who knows what he is doing out there and you've got a really good offense for the future. 

2 hours ago, Crimmage said:

I think you absolutely need an OT within the first two rounds though. 

I thought you said Duncan trade down in the 1st.

1. Duncan

2.Smith

2b Flowers

3 Laporta

2 hours ago, Crimmage said:

Zay Flowers is a bust.

Why?  I watch BC play and he's always caught my eye. I always thought how the heck did they get him. You don't see good WR often at BC.  Anything out there or is this your opinion.  Your a BC fan right??? Seen him live???   I wondered what he would look like with a legit QB and coach. OST guy sucks!!

Edited by m haynes

38 minutes ago, m haynes said:

Why?  I watch BC play and he's always caught my eye. I always thought how the heck did they get him. You don't see good WR often at BC.  Anything out there or is this your opinion.  Your a BC fan right??? Seen him live???   I wondered what he would look like with a legit QB and coach. OST guy sucks!!

Haven't seen him live, have seen BC play though.

I don't think he's terrible.. maybe a bust is too strong.. but a second round pick is way too high to me. He is a receiver who isn't an easy transition to the NFL. If you get him in the 4th I think he's a worthy gamble. Look at Calvin Austin last year.. he tested amazingly well and went in the 4th, Flowers will test much worse than him.. 2nd round is way too high.

Some of my concerns: 

1) 5'10 170lbs. He is going to benefit this year because I think this draft is smaller than average. I worry about him molding up ... look at Rondale Moore / Wan'dale Robsinon ... both smaller wr's (who each have 10-15lbs on him) that can't stay healthy because of their size at the next level. 

2) Drops ... (9 drops) 63% catch percentage per PFF. I don't think this eliminates him from consideration but it's a glaring negative. People forget these because he also makes some awesome contested catches. 

3) He's small so people assume automatically that he is a burner. He's not.. he's more shifty/twitchy but all his deep catches have been contested. I think he may have a good to great 10 yard split but 20/40 will be high 4.4 maybe even 4.5. Wan'Dale Robinson ended up 4.44 and he looks noticeably faster to me than Flowers. IF he has great agility drills / 10 year split I think this won't matter at the next level.. but a good amount of those deep passes he caught in college would be interceptions in the NFL. 

4) I think he is purely a slot at the next level ( he played almost 70% out wide)... he has good acceleration off the line and could be schemed open.. but I think he will need to be on the right team to be great. I don't have any confidence in the Patriots bringing out the best in any player who doesn't purely win on their own. So this point is more about the Patriots than him. That and the fact that not having outside versatility should lower his draft stock. 

4) He is a tough player.. I like a physical player at WR and BB does do. I'm not convinced he can play that physical against good NFL corners though. He could get beat up in press coverage ( which is why I think he will end up purely as a slot). Space is going to have to be schemed up for him, which brings me back to him needing to be in the right scheme with the right coaches. 

5) He's going to the Shrine Bowl and not the Senior Bowl.. now last year the Patriots drafted multiple players from the Shrine Bowl but it's noticeable that Jim Nagy didn't think he was worth an invite to the Senior Bowl. This goes back to why everyone said Thornton was a day 3 guy.. Senior Bowl guys go before Shrine Bowl guys on average. 

This is a very flawed WR draft unfortunately.. at the end of the day you may be better off spending a couple day 3 picks on guys and hoping one pans out instead of using a high pick on a WR. Hopefully as the offseason unfolds and start watching more guys with NFL games being gone I'll fall in love with some players.. but right now i'm pretty meh on most of the class. Nathaniel "Tank" Dell is a very similar player to Flowers, he played for Houston with Marcus Jones.. they may prefer him on day 3 if Flowers goes early. I'd rather Tank Dell in the 5th than Zay Flowers in the 2nd. 

44 minutes ago, Crimmage said:

look at Rondale Moore / Wan'dale Robsinon ... both smaller wr's (who each have 10-15lbs on him) that can't stay healthy because of their size at the next level. 

Valid point.

he is a burner. He's not..

I have him at 4.3

https://www.nfldraftbuzz.com/Player/Zay-Flowers-WR-BostonCollege

. I don't have any confidence in the Patriots bringing out the best in any player

Come on really . You don't say!!!!!🤣

This is a very flawed WR draft unfortunately.. at the end of the day you may be better off spending a couple day 3 picks on guys and hoping one pans out instead of using a high pick on a WR.

See I good opposite.  I agree this is a awful draft. I would not go to day 3 looking for a prayer. I would target the best player I good get that will make the roster. Also I would trade up. Bad draft I walk out with 3 starter I'm happy.

I use this sight as my base. Look at RD 2 talk about trash at the Pats pick. I can't see anyone worth that pick let alone a need.

https://www.tankathon.com/nfl/mock_draft

Maybe To To, who I'm not that thrilled with or anyone else. . Don't even get me started in the 3rd!!! Depressing I hope we it gets better down the road. with more info.

Last year I had two of my guys go in 6/7. This year they are 3/4 Rd-ers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Chasen Hines, G, Round 6.
  • Andrew Stueber, OT, Round 7

Edited by m haynes
  • Like 1

Couple of players I have my eye on for the Pats.

Freeland -- LT  has the body and movement that I like. He needs work, but has the tools.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gjyzEawzi2o

Blake Freeland, OT, BYU | NFL Draft Scouting Report

Benton -- DL   always use a DT. Like Wisconsin players, 4 year starter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0mVK6CsZKM

Sanders --LB  Like his size, speed and intensity. Played at Bama transfer assume more playing time.

https://youtu.be/lXBMWOTxD_E

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=apv2csgorpc

Cooper Beebe, G Like guys that played tackle. Size and can move. Big and strong

Cooper Beebe, G, Kansas State | NFL Draft Scouting Report

Kansas State Offensive Line vs TCU (2021) - YouTube

Edited by m haynes

On 12/16/2022 at 4:44 PM, m haynes said:

• Chasen Hines, G, Round 6.

If for some reason Onwenu doesn't get extended.. it's because they believe in Chasen Hines. I loved him coming out, he even started to come on late in camp to show he could be a future starter. I think he has a lot of potential, will be super interesting to see what happens with Onwenu. 

He was the backup center in college.. I wonder if he can make Ferentz expendable and take over the interior backup spot. 

On 12/16/2022 at 4:44 PM, m haynes said:
  • Andrew Stueber, OT, Round 7

I feel bad for Stueber, coming out of the draft I thought he could be a decent starting RT in the NFL. Now he missed all of camp and his rookie season. Given how badly they need a RT, he really missed out on his chance to be a starter. If he had been healthy he could have won the starting job by mid season given the lack of options they have.. but now he will go into year 2 in a position where they can't possibly depend on him to be the starter. So either way they are going to need to add a a couple OT between free agency and the draft. This could put his roster spot in question next year.. hopefully whatever happened to him is resolved and he can have a big offseason to at minimum be a swing backup OT. 

Given the amount of money they will have (and that I think Meyers is gone along with maybe Henry) .. they need to spend money on a starting RT in free agency. Add that with an expected OT first two days of the draft and he's going to be fighting for that 4th OT spot more than likely. I'll take the depth 100 times out of 100 given how awful this year has been.. but can't help but feel bad for the guy when he could have been in an amazing position this year. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, m haynes said:

Sanders --LB  Like his size, speed and intensity. Played at Bama transfer assume more playing time.

https://youtu.be/lXBMWOTxD_E

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=apv2csgorpc

I've read up on him a good amount and like what I've read. The big knock on him has been missed tackles from what I've seen. I don't worry about that too much just because I don't worry about the Patriots defense being able to coach him up. Especially if Mayo is still here, he will be in good hands. 

He's another guy who could shoot up the draft boards with a good combine. Remember the days when Quay Walker was a 3rd/4th round pick? Then he wins a championship, dominates the combine and ends up a first rounder. Sanders won't have the championship hype but he could test similar to Christian Harris (another Alabama LB) who was drafted in the 3rd round. If he can run a 4.4 and actually weigh in at 6'5 235 I could see BB putting him on the short list. We also are lucky enough to go through another offseason hearing about how McGrone will be the future at the position :D

Someone to keep an eye on in free agency is also Bobby Okereke from the Colts. He's broken out this year, is still young and would add a good amount of speed to the defense. I'm all for trying to fill as many of these need positions in free agency to be able to take BPA in the draft

14 hours ago, Crimmage said:

Remember the days when Quay Walker was a 3rd/4th round pick?

Yup and Wlker was a low 1st RD.  I remeber Von Miller coming out and they had him low as well. I thought it was crazy, Draft time 2nd pick !!

. We also are lucky enough to go through another offseason hearing about how McGrone will be the future at the position :D

He has all the physical skills however zero football knowledge. 

I'm all for trying to fill as many of these need positions in free agency to be able to take BPA in the draft

Based on what I have seen to date, this is the best and only option. The problem I have is BB picking the wrong players or signing them and not using them!!!!

On 12/16/2022 at 11:22 AM, m haynes said:

I have only taken a quick look at the WR group however I think I found @Hunter2_1 go to guy with the Pats.  Jalin Hyatt. holy crap.  I read the comments and I don't give a crap what they say.  RT tree, blah blah blah.  He can catch it, scares the crap out of DBs and runs on water. Beep Beep!!!  Terek Hill was a converted RB how that work out.  I see Thornton and Hyatt, damn. 

Now picture the middle of the field for TE and Slot WR !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  And don't forget Steve running the ball without 8 men in the box!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Put both on one side give Mac the option at the line and let Fat Matt call his SCREENS with the option to change for a 1 on 1 match up.

Yup Hyatt's  @Hunter2_1 boy. 🤣

Actually I have seen some mocks already with him to us 🤣 think you’ve nailed it already 

I'm going to add more comments to this thread as I dive deeper into prospects, but I actually feel pretty good/optimistic about this team's roster, thanks to the last couple drafts. This years class looks so, so promising. We must protect Groh at all costs.

Not a draft target, but a FA target- I would love to pry David Long way from the Titans.

Really great that Andrew Stueber is back and practicing. I don't think he ever makes it to the roster because he gets 21 days of practice time.. but it should be enough for them to see where he is as a player. This is especially important because he got injured right after the draft.. they have no idea what he can do. Assuming they really like him, I think that makes it more likely they find a RT in free agency. That way the veteran can start for 1-2 years then you can hand it over to Stueber if he really earns it.. or if he dominates you can just trade the veteran, OL are always valuable. 

I'm interested in this teams needs heading into the offseason, primarily because I don't think they have a massive amount of needs. If they have one more great draft, assuming Mac has a Tua moment.. you're a contender to go deep into the playoffs. 

Offense: 

• QB
    • The only high ceiling guy in this draft is Anthony Richardson.. if he is there in the 3rd like Willis was last year.. I 100% grab him.. but I think he will be seen more as a Trey Lance developmental guy than a Malik Willis developmental guy. 
    • This isn't the season to draft a QB, if Mac sucks next year you trade away everything necessary to move up and get a guy
  • RB
    • I really like Stevenson / Strong / Harris / Montgomery combo .. I think they could bring in a veteran to compete with them or maybe another undrafted guy to compete with Harris but that's about it
    • A really interesting development will be Damien Harris .. I think it's possible he is resigned.. this free agency class is stacked at RB and he's showing that he can't ever play a full season. Teams aren't going to want to pay him big money.. so he either goes to a garbage team to try and put up stats for a payday.. or he could see the potential to stay here long term on a cheap deal. BB will pay for veteran leadership and with McCoutry/Slater retiring they are going to need it. Harris is also known for loving Boston.. 
  • OT
    • A MAJOR need... Trent Brown will be back at LT to start the season but you absolutely have to have a young guy behind him trying to take his job
    • RT is also a major need.. Andrew Stueber could be a backup next year but you can't go into the year assuming he starts. I think you need to sign a free agent to fix this position day 1.. but the other options is to draft a guy to play LT but have him start at RT for a year and then take over for Trent next year when he's gone. IF they strongly believe in Stueber at RT, maybe you go this way.. but with the amount of free agency money they will have.. I think that's too risky.. you need depth
    • If they lose out Peter Skoronski is a high likelihood, otherwise Broderick Jones, Dawand Jones, Jaelyn Duncan, and Cody Mauch are names to look out for.. we should have a good idea of guys they will love once the senior bowl happens
  • OG
    • Cole Strange is fine, I think he could make huge strides with a real OL coach, LG is set imo 
    • Mike Onwenu is amazing, the only concern at RG is if you can't extend him.. if you offer him 4 years 40 million you can probably lock him up a year early
    • I loved Chasen Hines coming out.. he's going to be a great backup who could start in the future.. You could probably keep Ferentz for cheap as a backup too 
  • OC
    • David Andrews is amazing and one of the best leaders on this team.. he's also going to be 31 next year. I think this is the time where they start taking guys in day 3 who could replace Ferentz then eventually Andrews
    • They have Kody Russey, he was up and down in camp.. will be interesting if they see him as a long term starter. I know that BB wouldn't do it.. but with Andrews hurt all season it would be nice to give Russey that last game of the season to see what he has going into the offseason. 
    • Day 3 need imo.. have all of their OC in the BB era been undrafted? 
  • TE
    • Jonnu is robotic in his movements and infuriating sometime.. but they restructured him this season and he's all but guaranteed to be here another year. With a proper OC maybe he is serviceable next year
    • Cut / Trade Hunter Henry please.. you can't invest this much money into the TE position for mediocrity. Henry also isn't that great.. he's 100% a replaceable player and in this draft you could replace him day 1. Henry can't block, you have a bunch of guys you can get on day 2 who can replace his receiving abilities with higher upside... save 10M by cutting him and put that money into Onwenu or signing a proper RT like McGinchey
    • Dalton Kincaid is my favorite.. a guy who probably goes in the 2nd round, Darnell Washington could be a guy that BB loves because he is massive.. he's a 2nd rounder, Sam Laporta, 3rd round .. Iowa has been known as TE U.. he's the next in line. This draft probably has at least 5 TE's who will be better than Henry within a year
  • WR
    • I predict Agholor, Meyers, and Bourne are gone next year .. I don't want Bourne to be gone but believe BB will hold a grudge and trade him for a 5th to someone.. I hope cooler heads prevail and they don't find a good deal for him and keep him.. he could do very well as a Meyers replacement for a year while a young guy gets ready
    • Davante Parker hasn't been great but he has 1 year left and they need bodies.. I think he stays because he fits a need and they can't overhaul the entire WR group in an offseason. WR is a massive need to have bodies on the roster, Tyquan Thornton is the only guy guaranteed to be here. 
    • They need a slot, I doubt they have any faith in any of the practice squad guys
    • I'll be really curious what they do if Jordan Addison and Jaxon Smith-Njigba are sitting there for them in the 1st.. both guys are going to be seen as top of this draft prospects.. BUT I don't think either of them will test as elite at the combine. If they are smart they don't test at all. Both are great route runners, both have put up big numbers, but neither is going to be a 4.3 guy. My gut tells me that teams are going to regret passing on Jaxon Smith-Njigba and he could turn into a top 10 WR in the league. Addison is small, 175lb.. everyone says he is an elite athlete but I see plenty of guys catching him on his highlights... that's not elite speed. One of these will be there when the Patriots pick in the 1st, could they be the next Olave/Wilson? Or the next N'Keal Harry? Neither feel elite to me but I haven't seen a lot of their games yet either, mainly highlights .. but I remember Olave/Wilson saying Smith-Njigba was the best WR out of the three of them last year
    • Non 1st round guys to look out for are: Josh Downs, Cedric Tillman, Jalin Hyatt, Rashee Rice, Charlie Jones, and Zay Flowers
    • I fully expect them to sign a free agent but given how bad the class is .. a double dip is possible too. Something like Jordan Addison in the 1st and Charlie Jones/ Zay Flowers in the 4th would be very exciting
    • Any USC fans out there.. i'd really like a breakdown of Addison. He is small so probably exclusively a slot guy.. but is he a true #1 that we need? 
    • Same goes for Ohio State.. is Smith-Njigba as good as Olave/Wilson say? Is he a guy people will drop because of his 40 then he becomes the next Cooper Kupp? 

I've mentioned before that I believe you build this offense through the draft, add elite playmakers and hire a coach who can relate to young guys and knows how to quickly translate the college game to the pro's. Focus on finding elite guys.. in the first round it's Skoronski, Addison, Smith-Njigba then probably trade back to late 1st / 2nd and accumulate talent. If they are picking in the 10-15 range you've got to either get someone you feel will be a game breaker or get out of there. 

Top Needs: LT / WR / TE

Late Need: OC 

Defense: 

• DL
    • Lawrence Guy is getting old(32), he has maybe 1 year left? .. I wouldn't be surprised if he were cut next year either.. they need to draft someone to replace him and sign a free agent to help bridge the gap
    • I feel like and DL who isn't a pass rusher is going to be available day 3 in the draft .. I would draft another guy who can sit behind Guy for a year while also signing at least one guy in free agency to compete with Guy
    • I'm curious about Siaki Ika is he's around in the 4th .. they really just need to have some guys who are strong at the point of attack and can contain the pocket/stop the run. Let Barmore and your LB do the pass rushing.. it's going to be much easier to find those guys. 
  • ILB
    • Bentley has been great, he's a proper leader for this team.. but the rest of the guys have just been guys.. I wonder if they resign Mack Wilson for cheap in hopes that he develops more with another year in the system. 
    • The Savior Cameron McGrone is now gone.. they need to draft / sign a young fast LB to pair with Bentley
    • David Long from the Titans is someone to keep an eye on in free agency
    • If they want to go early, I think Drew Sanders could be an option.. but it feels like such a missed opportunity that they didn't get a mid round guy last year. Felt like a much better draft.. so many guys went later than expected who had elite numbers. Many people have fallen out of favor with Henry To'oTo'o, if he is available in the 4th that would be a guy I take.. especially when you've got 3-4 4th rounders that's going to be your spot in the draft to try and go for upside guys
  • Edge/OLB
    • Judon is 30, and Uche is going into the last year of his deal .. OLB is a sleeper need.. I don't believe the rumors of trading Judon this offseason but I guess anything is possible
    • Tavai / Jennings are good depth pieces but you'll need additional help .. I put 0 expectations on Ronnie Perkins 
    • Lots of depth here in the draft: Nolan Smith is an insane athlete, Andre Carter went to Army, Zach Harrison is the next Ohio state pass rusher to fall in the draft but put up sacks in a couple years. 
    • I would sign Bobby Okereke in free agency.. he's still young and adds speed. I believe he is versatile enough to play inside and outside so he could be a chess piece for this defense the next 3-4 years. I think if you do that you can get away with not focusing on OLB this draft to get other positions in better shape. 
  • CB
    • Resign Jon Jones for one.. you can put him at CB or FS, doesn't matter to me but he fills a spot for the next couple years at least on top of being a great leader
    • Jack Jones can slide into a starter role and so can Marcus Jones next year
    • Jalen Mills either guys cut, traded or moved to FS imo.. he's cheap for a 2nd corner but he's expensive on the bench
    • What they really need is one more CB to be drafted who is bigger, they lack size on the outside. This CB draft is supposed to be pretty loaded in that regard so we can almost guarantee a CB is taken. Devon Witherspoon is a guy who could be their typical 2nd round pick.. Nagy loves him. Garrett Williams looked great early in the year but got injured, that could cause him to fall to the 4th and would be a steal. DJ Turner is another great athlete and then we have multiple Alabama DB's who are always an option
  • S
    • I think they are good at Strong Safety.. Dugger and Phillips are good players
    • Bledsoe feels like he could be a player, I remember him doing a decent job cover TE's early in the season
    • McCourty is retiring imo .. so you're going to need a starting FS.. my biggest question is if that guy is already on the roster. Do you move Jon Jones to FS? Jalen Mills to FS? 
    • Options in the draft: JL Skinner has been my guy but unfortunately I think he will skyrocket up the draft boards. I loved him as an early day 3 guy but he could go as high as the 2nd now. Jordan Battle is a guy who fell off hard.. same with Malachi Moore.. I think one of them could be there day 3 and worthy of being drafted 

Top Needs: ILB / CB / FS

Late Need: DL 

Maybe it's just reactionary to how bad the offense is this year but I'd honestly focus my top 3-4 picks on the offense: WR/LT/TE in whatever order makes sense.. trading up / down where needed. Give Mac protection and weapons to see if he can be the guy next year.. if he isn't, pull a SF and trade all the picks you need to go up and get a QB. 

Edited by Crimmage

5 hours ago, Crimmage said:

I don't think they have a massive amount of needs. If they have one more great draft,

I disagree here they will need more talent than 7 draft choices. Major needs are LT, LB S, WR.  It also might be QB  BB gets rid of Mac to back Fat Matt !!!! idiot.

They will have to kill it in FA as well.  This team lacks impact players across the board. They have  a total of 3, Judon, Steve and Barmore.  All other are replaceable and can be improved. Ex Dugger is good in the box but can't cover. He will need a new contact, you don't over pay, you have a plan this draft to fill his position.  This has been lacking with the Pats for some time. NO PLAN...WR,TE,S and QB, MOF, no plan for coaching position.

Damien Harris .. I think it's possible he is resigned.

IMO he is way over rated. He is made out of glass, and can't be counted on.  I wouldn't offer anything, not wasting my cap money. I'd rather draft some one to fill the need.

Cole Strange is fine, I think he could make huge strides with a real OL coach, LG is set imo 

He a jag at OG that is maxed out. What you see is what you get. He can't get bigger, to old.  Lets forget he was picked in 1st, that's over. Looking forward, I would like to see him at center. IMO he could be a top one in the NFL. He moves well and he would kill it at that position. Then Hines to OG.

WR is a massive need to have bodies on the roster

We have only one !!! Unfortunately there's no WR in the draft worth a 1st RD pick.  Especially with the needs we have at OT.  Jaxon Smith-Njigba is the only one that should sniff the 1st however I would be disappointed if we pick him. No speed and lack elite athletic ability.  I would take your guy over him later. I forgot his name, Cook or Toon ?????

in the first round it's Skoronski, Addison, Smith-Njigba then probably trade back to late 1st / 2nd and accumulate talent.

The only reason to stay put in this draft, one of the defensive player falls or Skoronski there.  As you mentioned  they should trade down.

I'm curious about Siaki Ika is he's around in the 4th

I not a fan of 2 down players in today's NFL. Also I wouldn't waste a 4th RD pick  one.  I like Denton becasue he can give you more than 2 downs.

Many people have fallen out of favor with Henry To'oTo'o, if he is available in the 4th that would be a guy I take.

I want nothing to do with him. He will be a Jag / ST player at the next level.  Funny you put him down I just tried to give me a reason to believe. I just couldn't find it after watching several vids.  He shine based on playing in Bama. He's our next Jennings!!!!

•  
  • Tavai / Jennings are good depth pieces but you'll need additional help

Exactly  IMO this is a major need.  I  have a real problem when you have 3/5 guy Bentley as your number one guy. We need a 4 down play maker. This draft forget it!!!!!  Nolan Smith thou would be nice.

Jon Jones for one.. you can put him at CB or FS

I'm not wasting big money on him. This is one areas of the draft you can get a quality player. I haven't look deep but what I have seen there could be 5 with potential top end talent.   One thing I would rather not do, use a 1st on CB, waste of draft capital. Ex Jones boy against Jets guy, no big difference.

• I think they are good at Strong Safety.. Dugger and Phillips are good players

I would have a plan for both. Especially Dugger. He will be looking for a big contact. I not over paying for a one dimensional player. Don't get me wrong what he can do is good however replaceable. Draft is loaded with SS. Brian Branch,Antonio Johnson, Chris Smith II. Big reason to look at safety is speed and you need to cover.

I'm sick and tired of seeing NO plan to replace a player or upgrade positions.

Again we have just three IMPACT players!!!! That's fine when you have Tom Brady. Now your need better players at all positions to make up for the incredible loss. TB had the impact of 10 or more players!!!!!!  Again, now we have three.

Edited by m haynes

3 minutes ago, m haynes said:

I disagree here they will need more talent than 7 draft choices. Major needs are LT, LB S, WR.  It also might be QB  BB gets rid of Mac to back Fat Matt !!!! idiot.

Think positive my friend! THIS ALL HAS A DISCLAIMER OF OFFENSIVE COACHING STAFF BEING FIXED :D

You can't replace Mac this offseason. This draft doesn't have high ceiling guys. You're better off putting talent around Mac this year and if he sucks .. replace him next season. If that means you've got to trade away a future 1st to get him, sure.. go for it. This is of course assuming something crazy doesn't happen like them signing Lamar or Geno or something this offseason. 

I'm seeing this as a 2 year contender plan(assuming Mac pulls a Tua).. you can build a hell of a foundation in one offseason with a good draft and free agency. They've had 2-3 very good drafts in a row.. 1-2 more and you're in great shape.

-> LT, I'm feeling pretty good about finding someone in the top 2 rounds to fix this issue.. especially with Trent around one more year. If you have a good OL coach and a young kid trying to steal his job I think you'll get a great year out of him and be fine till the rookie takes over

-> WR, now that they are out of the playoffs and I think it's likely that they could end up around pick 10.. they could have a chance at one of the top 3 WR. This also means I need to watch more of those guys.. but let's just say you have a chance at an Olave level WR day 1. I take him over the LT in the first round and you've instantly solved a massive problem on the offense. Get a second WR early day 3 and you're good. Once you have a #1 WR and a proper coaching staff.. this offense would flourish. 

-> S, I'm not as worried about this position.. I am more focused on CB which thankfully this is a loaded draft for. You can solve the FS problem right away by moving Jon Jones to FS .. same with making Jalen Mills play more safety which he played well with the Eagles. 

-> LB I think you can either fix in free agency with a few younger guys or spend a draft pick to improve the position. I don't think they need to spend a 1st round pick on a LB. 

They will have to kill it in FA as well. 

I agree.. but they will have the money to do it. They will have around 40M and if they cut Henry that brings it to 50M, they can get multiple impact guys

- Mike McGlinchey fixes RT day 1 for instance

- Fill 2-3 other needs on defense through free agency and you're in good shape.. this defense is already good .. add a couple pieces and it's a top 5-10 defense in the league

- I think they will sign Jon Jones early at a team friendly deal. I don't think other teams will see him as more than an aging slot corner. Here I think he can play all over the defense, be a leader to a young DB group,etc. He could be a FS here for the next 3-4 years and do very well imo

This team lacks impact players across the board. They have  a total of 3, Judon, Steve and Barmore.  All other are replaceable and can be improved. Ex Dugger is good in the box but can't cover. He will need a new contact, you don't over pay, you have a plan this draft to fill his position.  This has been lacking with the Pats for some time. NO PLAN...WR,TE,S and QB, MOF, no plan for coaching position.

So from what I am aware about the cap, they can extend these guys with more than 1 year left and it won't change this years cap situation much. I think they could extend Onwenu/Dugger, maybe even Uche if he comes cheap enough and it won't prevent them from going after guys this year. 

This defense has shown you that you don't need 100 stars, you need a few to go along with a bunch of guys who know what they are doing. I fully believe their defense this year could go deep in the playoffs if they had a real offense. 

IMO he is way over rated. He is made out of glass, and can't be counted on.  I wouldn't offer anything, not wasting my cap money. I'd rather draft some one to fill the need.

I think his leadership is valuable if he is cheap enough

He a jag at OG that is maxed out. What you see is what you get. He can't get bigger, to old.  Lets forget he was picked in 1st, that's over. Looking forward, I would like to see him at center. IMO he could be a top one in the NFL. He moves well and he would kill it at that position. Then Hines to OG.

That would be fine with me! That still fixes the OL and I love Hines

We have one!!! Unfortunately there is no WR in the draft worth a 1st RD pick.  Especially with the needs we have at OT.  Jaxon Smith-Njigba is the only one that should sniff the 1st however I would be disappointed if we pick him. No speed and lack elite athletic ability.  I would take you guy over him later.

I'd be very nervous to pass on Smith-Njigba.. Ohio State WR's have been awesome lately and he looked like the best of the 3 last year. He is also big enough that he can play inside and outside. If you have Thorntons speed on the outside you don't necessarily need the guy inside to be a 4.3 guy, what matters most is his route running and 10 yard split. 

I need to check out Addison more too.. he's smaller which scares me but i'm reading that he could be this years Olave.. if that's the case, sign me up

The only reason to stay input in this draft is if one of the defensive player falls or Skoronski there.  As you mentioned  they should trade down.

If they lose out.. they could be drafting as high as 7, that puts them in a position to get a top guy or trade down for a large return. Either way, they are going to end up with a pretty high pick this year. 

I not a fan of 2 down players in today's NFL. Also I wouldn't waste a 4th RD pick  one.  I like Denton becasue he can give you more than 2 downs.

On day 3 if you get anyone who makes an impact on your team I am happy. I refer to you on DL though, I don't know nearly enough about the players available.. just know BB has had a great track record of finding guys off the scrap heap and getting them to play well enough there. 

I'm not wasting big money on him. This is one areas of the draft you can get a quality player. I haven't look deep but what I have seen there could be 5 with potential top end talent.   One thing I would rather not do, use a 1st on CB, waste of draft capital. Ex Jones boy against Jets guy, no big difference.

You need to balance draft and free agency. Can you get someone better in the draft, sure.. but I would rather go offense the first 2-3 rounds and not need to worry about drafting a safety. His leadership also adds value to the team.. he seems very much like a Bill guy.

I would have a plan for both. Especially Dugger. He will be looking for a big contact. I not over paying for a one dimensional player. Don't get me wrong what he can do is good however replaceable. Draft is loaded with SS. Brian Branch,Antonio Johnson, Chris Smith II. Big reason to look at safety is speed and you need to cover.

If you can draft safeties on day 3, I'm all for it.. i'm sure they will trade around all over the place and get more picks.. They will have 3 4th round picks.. you have plenty of opportunity to get a CB and S in that round if you want. 

First 3 rounds of the draft I want all offense. I am 100% fine with the defense taking a step back if it means you can make a big jump offensively. This league is about offense, you can put some bandaids on the defense with older players you find in free agency. LT/WR/TE first three rounds.. give me that and I'll be happy (along with RT in free agency). 

• Like 1

I need to check out Addison more too.. he's smaller which scares me but i'm reading that he could be this years Olave.

I think you will be scratching your head once you look into his game. Hard pass from me in the 1st Rd and top of the 2nd.

First 3 rounds of the draft I want all offense.

I would like that as well however this draft might not let you do that.

DB's talent out shines all (wide margin) in this draft.  They are 2 RDs  deep with talent.  You could trade down however your not going to get much. There's no one worth giving up multiple  picks.  More like... I'll trade my 25th and a 3rd for 20 !!!!

Top of the draft yes, QB falls or someone is love with a certain player. After 15 most team make minor trades or just wait to see who falls.

PS This draft is so bad, I see 2 DTs worth a 1/2 RD pick and 3/4 (just) LB's  as well !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!