Who's been more valuable this season? Drew Brees or Russell Wilson

mdonnelly21

Who's Higher On MVP?   

34 members have voted

1. 1. Who's Been More Valuable This Season?

• Russell Wilson
    • Drew Brees

2 minutes ago, tyler735 said:

I would agree that some of his bulk numbers are down, but I don't agree that everyone thinks he is a game manager only by his own statistical standard. I have seen several posts throughout the year stating that Brees the player has noticeably regressed, and that he doesn't have the arm to make all the throws. I think this past week was a great sign to disprove that theory though. 

His arm did look weaker at an earlier point in the season though.  In fact, his arm has seemed to go up and down over the last three years.  It's noticeably stronger in some games than others.

1 minute ago, tyler735 said:

I would agree that some of his bulk numbers are down, but I don't agree that everyone thinks he is a game manager only by his own statistical standard. I have seen several posts throughout the year stating that Brees the player has noticeably regressed, and that he doesn't have the arm to make all the throws. I think this past week was a great sign to disprove that theory though. 

I think the concerns about his arm were valid. He answered a lot of questions and threw a few absolute darts this week, but there have also been games this year and last where his deep ball was just off. Look how many of Ginn’s long balls have been contested because he had to slow down for them. 

I don’t think it’s a coincidence that his arm looked great coming off a huge blowout where the Saints ran for almost 300 yards and Brees only threw 7 passes in the 2nd half.

Just now, Jlowe22 said:

His arm did look weaker at an earlier point in the season though.  In fact, his arm has seemed to go up and down over the last three years.  It's noticeably stronger in some games than others.

Maybe, or he's simply just not stepping into his throws, or trying to put too much touch on the ball. He's never possessed a cannon for an arm. It's always just been solid. It could be as simple as him getting hit/landing on his throwing shoulder in a game and not being able to put as much into his throws some games. Ultimately I've never bought into the notion that his arm strength has noticeably diminished at this point in his career. 

1 minute ago, tyler735 said:

Maybe, or he's simply just not stepping into his throws, or trying to put too much touch on the ball. He's never possessed a cannon for an arm. It's always just been solid. It could be as simple as him getting hit/landing on his throwing shoulder in a game and not being able to put as much into his throws some games. Ultimately I've never bought into the notion that his arm strength has noticeably diminished at this point in his career. 

He's never had a cannon, but he used to put some zip on the ball like he did during that game more regularly than he does now.  

This same issue came up early in 2015.  His arm looked weak, he got injured during the Tampa Bay game, and when he came back his arm looked stronger.  That colts game in particular he threw some lasers like he hadn't thrown all year.

Sean Payton also made a comment last year about limiting his throws during practice later in the season to keep him from being fatigued.  

2 minutes ago, domepatrol91 said:

I think the concerns about his arm were valid. He answered a lot of questions and threw a few absolute darts this week, but there have also been games this year and last where his deep ball was just off. Look how many of Ginn’s long balls have been contested because he had to slow down for them. 

I don’t think it’s a coincidence that his arm looked great coming off a huge blowout where the Saints ran for almost 300 yards and Brees only threw 7 passes in the 2nd half.

He's also had several overthrows this season to his WR's. Maybe I'm wrong, but I just don't see it. Sure he has some under thrown balls (every QB does), but I don't think it's a lack of arm strength. He's shown he still has the arm to throw darts throughout the year. It becomes noticeable when there is a Manning with the Broncos type dropoff. I haven't seen that with Brees.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap3000000843510/Tommylee-Lewis-burns-Trae-Waynes-deep-with-52-yard-catch

Just now, Jlowe22 said:

He's never had a cannon, but he used to put some zip on the ball like he did during that game more regularly than he does now.  

This same issue came up early in 2015.  His arm looked weak, he got injured during the Tampa Bay game, and when he came back his arm looked stronger.  That colts game in particular he threw some lasers like he hadn't thrown all year.

Sean Payton also made a comment last year about limiting his throws during practice later in the season to keep him from being fatigued.  

But is limiting his throws an act of being proactive as he is getting older and just simply a veteran day off, or a concrete sign that his arm isn't the same and has regressed. 

Just now, tyler735 said:

But is limiting his throws an act of being proactive as he is getting older and just simply a veteran day off, or a concrete sign that his arm isn't the same and has regressed. 

I don't know, that's the question.  It has looked strong some games, and some games it hasn't.  It did look strong in week 1 this year, and he threw some darts in the Redskins game that I haven't seen in a while.

I think, his arm is getting weaker and he has to put more effort into his throws to throw hard.  This affects accuracy on deep balls, and he doesn't always put that extra into it.

3 minutes ago, tyler735 said:

If he didn’t need the days off, I don’t think he would be taking them.

If Payton says it’s to prevent his arm from fatiguing, I’m assuming that they made the decision is because his arm was fatiguing.

Just now, domepatrol91 said:

If Payton says it’s to prevent his arm from fatiguing, I’m assuming that they made the decision is because his arm was fatiguing.

I don't know the exact quote, I just remember it being said.  I believe it was the week before the Arizona game.

Just now, domepatrol91 said:

That's the problem is it is hard to say what the meaning is. Just like most other positions get veteran days off to avoid fatigue. I'm not denying that an older player recovers as fast as a younger player that certainly isn't the case, but what we don't know is if it is concrete that it's a sign of his arm strength being noticeably going away or not. Regardless, as he showed this past week. He has plenty of arm still to make key throws all over the field. All I know is I'm very excited to see how he and the Saints do against the Rams this week.

2 hours ago, tyler735 said:

I would agree that some of his bulk numbers are down, but I don't agree that everyone thinks he is a game manager only by his own statistical standard. I have seen several posts throughout the year stating that Brees as a player has noticeably regressed, and that he doesn't have the arm to make all the throws. I think this past week was a great sign to disprove that theory though. 

Fantasy football players I suppose. Im certainly not getting returns on my investment. But what can you expect when you have two top 5 RBs in PPR on your team. The cake is only so big. 

Archived