Former Chargers QB John Hadl passes away at age 82

TecmoSuperJoe

One of the better quarterbacks of his era, and a pioneer that shined bright for the Chargers under Sid Gillman in the AFL. 

Quarterback John Hadl, one of the stars of the upstart American Football League who appeared in six Pro Bowls and had one All-Pro nod, died Wednesday. He was 82 and no cause was given.

Hadl was the leader of an impressive vertical game in the pass-crazy AFL, throwing deep to receivers like Lance Alworth and Gary Garrison. In addition to playing quarterback, Hadl was also a punter. After more than a decade with the Chargers (who later moved to Los Angeles), Hadl was traded to the Los Angeles Rams, and led that team to the playoffs.

His efforts there led to him being named the National Football Conference Player of the Year. He was later traded to the Green Bay Packers, and finished up with the Houston Oilers.

During 16 professional seasons in the AFL and post-merger NFL, Hadl threw for more than 33,000 yards.

His death was announced by the University of Kansas, where his sterling career led him to be named to the College Football Hall of Fame.

https://deadline.com/2022/11/john-hadl-dies-star-quarterback-for-san-diego-chargers-was-82-obituary-1235185779/

This saddens me.  He was my favorite player as a child.  My first NFL game was a John Hadl led Charger team beating the Chiefs in 1970.  I was a Hadl fan in San Diego, and when he moved on to the Rams as well.  My uncle was friends with a gentleman that owned a bar in SD, which was frequented by many of the Chargers at that time, and arranged to get me a poster that is signed by the entire team from 1970.  One of my prized possessions.  

RIP, Mr. Hadl.  Thanks so much for the memories.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Bucketheadsdad said:

This saddens me.  He was my favorite player as a child.  My first NFL game was a John Hadl led Charger team beating the Chiefs in 1970.  I was a Hadl fan in San Diego, and when he moved on to the Rams as well.  My uncle was friends with a gentleman that owned a bar in SD, which was frequented by many of the Chargers at that time, and arranged to get me a poster that is signed by the entire team from 1970.  One of my prized possessions.  

RIP, Mr. Hadl.  Thanks so much for the memories.

Thanks for sharing that story. 

• Like 1