Week 13: Broncos @ Ravens

DreamKid

4 minutes ago, Ray Reed said:

The crux of my argument was always "he's had x amount of time to heal, he's practiced for weeks, 2-3 weeks isn't going to make a significant difference in recovery from where he is at, if he sits out games it's because he's choosing not to play...if you're healthy enough to play in week 6 after all of that time off from surgery, you were probably healthy enough to play in week 2/3/4".

My argument wasn't that he shouldn't play, it's that he needed too earlier than he did. You could even hear Harbaugh growing frustrated with it in the presser comments at a certain point.

That’s fine. And while I still couldn’t care much about him missing time early in the season to make sure he’s 100% right (just like JKD probably should’ve elected to get that extra surgery earlier so that we could be fielding him at something closer to 100% by now), but yeah with a divisional game upcoming (granted Watt was the person who injured him in the first place), and with the true NFL season upon us guy needs to play if he’s at least 75-80% good.

And if he’s not I’d rather trade him before his mentality becomes cancerous throughout the team. We need guys like Yanda inspiring the OL and not guys like Eugene Monroe.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, diamondbull424 said:

That’s fine. And while I still couldn’t care much about him missing time early in the season to make sure he’s 100% right (just like JKD probably should’ve elected to get that extra surgery earlier so that we could be fielding him at something closer to 100% by now), but yeah with a divisional game upcoming (granted Watt was the person who injured him in the first place), and with the true NFL season upon us guy needs to play if he’s at least 75-80% good.

And if he’s not I’d rather trade him before his mentality becomes cancerous throughout the team. We need guys like Yanda inspiring the OL and not guys like Eugene Monroe.

Seems off base to me. Most guys miss a few weeks when they sprain their ankle. You have no idea what kind of shape it is in. 

9 hours ago, diamondbull424 said:

Had Xfinity issues with my DVR all day. Watched the game, reading through some of the comments in this thread you’d think Huntley had a superhuman performance.

The offense put up 10 points. No disrespect to Huntley because he’s got the same scrub weapons as Lamar and the same Roman playcalling.

I find it weird that other teams can have a backup come in, play well, realize that’s a mark of having a strong backup QB (and an opposing defense having no film on said QB’s primary tendencies) and still be for their starting QB.

Like Lamar has consistently guided some of the most productive offenses and like we’re seeing with Justin Fields, the impact certain QBs bring to their offenses can’t be fully quantified in completion percentages and passing yards.

Huntley played a well enough game against a strong defense with what he had to work with, but he also scored the least amount of points this offense has had all season. Tbf our defense wasn’t forcing turnovers to gift extra more favorable possessions either.

All in all, I think this game is a reflection as to the failures of both Greg Roman and EDC. You can’t light teams up with 30 good TEs and -0 good WRs. The best you can hope for is a super efficient game manager that doesn’t lose games in this kind of offense. Yet someone who can increase the efficiency of it by using their legs.

This offense isn’t trash, but is a high floor, low ceiling offense and instead of maximizing that ceiling by taking chances at throwing darts toward the WR position, we threw numerous darts at TE. On top of that we’ve now traded away a 2nd round pick to obtain an ILB who wants to get paid bank and has all the leverage. Now I’m not against the trade, however it limits the future resources to address our weapons issue.

Denver’s defense is also very well coached, so I’m not going to crucify anyone too much.

Gus Edwards isn’t yet 100% and I can’t wait to see what our backfield can look like with Gus, JKD, Hill, and Drake.

Biggest thing for me were some of the drives that Huntley didn't score on:

1. Greg Roman running a jet sweep on 3rd and 3 that lost 1 yard.
  2. WR's not hustling back to the LOS before halftime causing us to miss a FG opportunity after Huntley gets us quickly down the field
  3. Greg Roman calling the WR pass trick play when we're in FG range that results in a turnover
  4. Huntley making a boneheaded decision and throws an INT

I wasn't able to watch the full game but these drives in particular, notably the ones where Greg Roman single-handedly killed our drives with play calling, that stood out because it seemed like for the most part Huntley was moving the ball and being efficient.

Yeah we only scored 10 points but we were doing literally nothing with Lamar. We had 28 total yards before Huntley came in, and he immediately leads a 10 play / 62 yard FG drive. Next drive Roman sabotages it and we punt. Next drive is the one before halftime.

The more I look back on the last 4 years, the more I do realize how insanely criminal it is that we just actually decided never to surround Lamar with actual WR talent and instead chose to be this run-first team where as long as our run game was elite we could be fun to watch. Well, our run game isn't elite anymore and now we have the worst group of pass catchers in the entire league with the highest drop rate of any team. It's actually criminal how we decided to do this while teams like CIN, MIA, PHI all chose to actually give their young QB's boatloads of talent at the WR position.

Lastly, like I said during the game, this was my final straw with Roman. When I watched his play-calling single-handedly kill 2 promising drives I was just done. I don't care if we lose his running game concepts I'm done watching this garbage. I don't care if we're 9th in points-per-drive, I don't care if we're #1 rushing DVOA. This offense sucks and it's not fun to watch and it's not going anywhere in January. The next time I see a screen pass thrown to Patrick Ricard lined up at TE I might just punch a hole through my monitor.

Edited by AFlaccoSeagulls

2 hours ago, Ray Reed said:

The crux of my argument was always "he's had x amount of time to heal, he's practiced for weeks, 2-3 weeks isn't going to make a significant difference in recovery from where he is at, if he sits out games it's because he's choosing not to play...if you're healthy enough to play in week 6 after all of that time off from surgery, you were probably healthy enough to play in week 2/3/4".

My argument wasn't that he shouldn't play, it's that he needed too earlier than he did. You could even hear Harbaugh growing frustrated with it in the presser comments at a certain point.

and he missed all that time to sit out and "be 100% back" just to re-injure himself like 2-3 weeks later anyways and now we're right back to square one.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

and he missed all that time to sit out and "be 100% back" just to re-injure himself like 2-3 weeks later anyways and now we're right back to square one.

If Stanley didn't take as much time he needed to be back 100%, then the ankle injury he suffered a few weeks ago could have destroyed his ankle and he'd be out for the year.

Him taking his time allowed him to withstand this ankle injury and return probably next week. 

48 minutes ago, AngusMcFife said:

If Stanley didn't take as much time he needed to be back 100%, then the ankle injury he suffered a few weeks ago could have destroyed his ankle and he'd be out for the year.

Him taking his time allowed him to withstand this ankle injury and return probably next week. 

"probably"

19 minutes ago, DreamKid said:

Looks like the team thought it was weird as well 😂

Getting carted off for a bone bruise? Justified haha. 

I've been in Muay Thai a good majority of my life and have been on the receiving end of some thunderbolt feeling leg kicks. I'll say this, they're hard to walk on after but a cart? My God lol

• Like 1

4 hours ago, AngusMcFife said:

Seems off base to me. Most guys miss a few weeks when they sprain their ankle. You have no idea what kind of shape it is in. 

Maybe.

And perhaps this could be the case of Harbaugh under-reporting. But an ankle sprain is a 1-3 week recovery and if he’s good enough to say he’s “okay” as an athlete, I’d hope it should be more like 1–2 weeks considering his age and the access to doctors.

TO legit came back from a high ankle sprain in like 2 weeks or something crazy. The swelling should be down and if he’s on the fence, I see no reason he can’t be available to rotate in and out. If it hurts a little bit, I don’t see a reason Mekari can go but Stanley can’t is my problem. If played through ankle sprains and I wasn’t making $20m/year either. Next week should be no excuse that’s, a full 3 weeks since the injury.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Biggest thing for me were some of the drives that Huntley didn't score on:

1. Greg Roman running a jet sweep on 3rd and 3 that lost 1 yard.
  2. WR's not hustling back to the LOS before halftime causing us to miss a FG opportunity after Huntley gets us quickly down the field
  3. Greg Roman calling the WR pass trick play when we're in FG range that results in a turnover
  4. Huntley making a boneheaded decision and throws an INT

I wasn't able to watch the full game but these drives in particular, notably the ones where Greg Roman single-handedly killed our drives with play calling, that stood out because it seemed like for the most part Huntley was moving the ball and being efficient.

Yeah we only scored 10 points but we were doing literally nothing with Lamar. We had 28 total yards before Huntley came in, and he immediately leads a 10 play / 62 yard FG drive. Next drive Roman sabotages it and we punt. Next drive is the one before halftime.

The more I look back on the last 4 years, the more I do realize how insanely criminal it is that we just actually decided never to surround Lamar with actual WR talent and instead chose to be this run-first team where as long as our run game was elite we could be fun to watch. Well, our run game isn't elite anymore and now we have the worst group of pass catchers in the entire league with the highest drop rate of any team. It's actually criminal how we decided to do this while teams like CIN, MIA, PHI all chose to actually give their young QB's boatloads of talent at the WR position.

Lastly, like I said during the game, this was my final straw with Roman. When I watched his play-calling single-handedly kill 2 promising drives I was just done. I don't care if we lose his running game concepts I'm done watching this garbage. I don't care if we're 9th in points-per-drive, I don't care if we're #1 rushing DVOA. This offense sucks and it's not fun to watch and it's not going anywhere in January. The next time I see a screen pass thrown to Patrick Ricard lined up at TE I might just punch a hole through my monitor.

1. The defense also doesn’t have info on Huntley’s tendencies vs Lamar’s.

2. Roman historically sucks at his opening sequence of plays for a game, but then gets better as the game goes along.

3. Lamar was making the same type of short throws that Huntley made, he legit missed Andrews low for one pass and then had another where he went to his check down but could’ve went to Andrews on his hot read… only Andrews hadn’t gotten his head around, the pressure came, and the moment Lamar would’ve released he had to tuck it to buy time and get it to Duvernay in the 1 yard pickup.

Beyond that, the plays Lamar got sacked on had no hot reads for Lamar to go with the short/quick options. They were go/posts that forced him to have to hold the ball.

So castigating him for not letting them rip when they weren’t open just because Roman adjusted to running shorter route concepts as the game went along is nonsensical. Huntley outside of the pass to Drake in the 4th wasn’t making difficult throws. I doubt Lamar goes 80%+ completions but that’s because Lamar is going to target more big time pass plays deep.

4. Lamar is also more hot and cold whereas Huntley was just lukewarm throughout, but was playing not to lose so he would keep things on schedule, but throw the ball short of the sticks.

35 minutes ago, baltimoreRebel said:

Getting carted off for a bone bruise? Justified haha. 

I've been in Muay Thai a good majority of my life and have been on the receiving end of some thunderbolt feeling leg kicks. I'll say this, they're hard to walk on after but a cart? My God lol

Maybe he had to pull a Paul Pierce….

This has been the case far too often this year. This was a 1st and 10. Lamar has Oliver right in front of him for 8 yards at least, and Duvernay wide open to the left. People will make excuses about the pressure, and maybe that could be made for missing one of those reads, but you can’t miss both. Lamar has guys running open this year and he’s not throwing it

10+ QBs in the league make that play. It’s not unreasonable to expect your former unanimous MVP QB who is going to command a brinks truck to make it.

Edited by Ray Reed
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Ray Reed said:

This has been the case far too often this year. This was a 1st and 10. Lamar has Oliver right in front of him for 8 yards at least, and Duvernay wide open to the left. People will make excuses about the pressure, and maybe that could be made for missing one of those reads, but you can’t miss both. Lamar has guys running open this year and he’s not throwing it

10+ QBs in the league make that play. It’s not unreasonable to expect your former unanimous MVP QB who is going to command a brinks truck to make it.

Yeah, agreed. This has happened way too much. Lamar has happy feet and I feel like he's so deep in his own head. He's not seeing wide open guys, it's a bit worrisome. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ray Reed said:

At first I thought this was a post about how bad the route combos down the field are (they're bad), and then I realized Josh Oliver is just standing right in front of Lamar wide open and Lamar just decides to get sacked instead.

Le sigh.