Spielman's take on Trubisky

WindyCity

25 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

On the topic of head coaching candidates are we overlooking a guy like Dan Campbell who is the assistant head coach to Sean Payton in New Orleans?

Pace knows him back from his playing days and he does have head coaching experience as the interim coach of the Dolphins a couple seasons back after Joe Philbin got fired.

He's from an offensive background being a former tight end and seems like a guy who would command the respect of his players.  Just another name to throw in the hat..

Campbell is a guy I brought up as a potential fit if Carmichael comes in as HC...I think bringing in a guy like Campbell as ACH/OC with him would give you an enforcer in your locker room.

On 11/21/2017 at 11:02 PM, AZBearsFan said:

This week would be a great week IMO for a “test week” for Mitch. Throw a lot on his plate and see how he does against elite competition. They should get their asses kicked against Philly anyway and they have nothing to lose. At 3-7 the season is over. Tell him you want him to go out and win the game on offense from jump. Don’t be safe to a fault. Be aggressive. Dictate play. I want to see you outduel Wentz. It’s probably our only shot to win anyways. 

Well teams have been able to throw on the Eagles and Fox doesn't want to throw, so...

The implied total on this game is 44 points and I'll take the over. I'll be stunned if Philly doesn't drop 50 on the Bears defense.

On 11/23/2017 at 3:18 PM, topwop1 said:

You can't help but like the job that Reich is doing over there in Philly.  He has both the run game and pass game firing on all cylinders.  Talk about balance.

As for DeFilippo, why are so many fans high on him as a HC candidate?  Has any HC in the history of the NFL ever been hired after being a position coach the year before?  I'm not saying DeFilippo won't be a good HC someday but what about makes him so attractive as a HC right now given his limited coordinating experience?  What do we knoe about him?

As an OC, sure I can see him coming to Chicago, just not under Reich since he will likely take that spot in Philly if Reich leaves.  Maybe he would come under a Matt Nagy hire since we've already heard that Nagy will likely hire Pettine to be his DC and considering that Pettine hired DeFillippo as his OC when he was with the Browns.

Yes sir. Philly's offense is able to run or pass, and attack all levels as well. They're doing a great job over there.

I was unaware of him being in the mix at HC at all. I know he and Wentz are together more than anyone, so he gets a ton of credit for Wentz's development. I could see him getting paid big money for an OC as he might be grooming his own QB, taking over the HC spot like Koetter.

I really don't believe he would want to sign in PHI. Trying to match up to this year's production. Any dropping might make him the scapegoat, but taking a poor offense up would be easier and be another check on his resume. Pus most coaches seem pretty proud and with PHI not letting him pursue an OC job he might not want to work for them. He clearly will have his pick of jobs too.

Speaking of the Eagles game coming up, it seems there have been comparisons (at least loosely) between Wentz and Trubisky in Philly.

Chicago is clearly taking it slowly with Trubisky, but Eagles head coach Doug Pederson believes the North Carolina standout can be on a similar path as his MVP-caliber quarterback.

"Oh, for sure, for sure," Pederson said on a Wednesday conference call, via Jeff Dickerson of ESPN.com. "We knew last year with Carson as a rookie that there were going to be growing pains and we were going to take some lumps. And also, listen, we just weren't very good as a football team last year, too, and didn't have the surrounding pieces around Carson. You kind of see in Mitch, you see the arm talent, you see the athleticism, the strength. You see good decisions, the accuracy. You see things that flash on tape that you go, 'OK, that's exactly the way Carson was a year ago.'"

The benefit that Wentz has had in Philadelphia is having a coaching staff with an extensive background developing quarterbacks. Both Pederson and offensive coordinator Frank Reich played quarterback in the league and assistant John DeFilippo is a highly regarded quarterbacks coach.

Trubisky is learning on the job with the likes of coordinator Dowell Loggains and quarterbacks coach Dave Ragone, two names that don't necessarily carry much weight in the NFL.

Hopefully Reich and DeFilippo share Pederson's thoughts.

Archived