Jimmy G out 7-8 weeks with foot injury

bigbadbuff

Love how people are suddenly valuing Jimmy G around here at some great QB and writing the Niners off because of his injury. He was at best an avg QB (having a decent season) in a system he fits in. Brock Purdy is much in a similar position. The only difference is that Purdy does not have any experience in the postseason (neither did Jimmy really before 2019 season) and even then it's not like Jimmy was the reason why the Niners have won their postseason games (including last year). This is a unique situation where the Niners have a system that can plug and play a guy in there that can run their system. 

If you didn't believe the Niners could make it to the Super Bowl prior to this injury then there's obviously no reason to believe so now of course. But if you did, there's no reason to think they still can't. Jimmy G was never going to be the reason the 49ers made it to the Super Bowl, anyone thinking that he was is kidding themselves - we've seen time and time again that Jimmy can't be the guy when needed to win a game. The Niners are biggest strengths are their skill position players who get YAC, their run game, and their defense -- these would be why they'd win the game, not the QB making some great plays. The ONLY thing Brock Purdy has to do is limit any turnovers and run the offense the way Shanahan wants it to be run. That might sound like a large endeavor but as you can see today it was not for Mr Brock against a decent defense - he's definitely a good fit to run this offense. Some will argue that once teams get tape on this guy that they will "figure him out".. there's nothing to figure out. He's not going to be the reason why the Niners win their games, he's an ancillary piece to their overall offense. 

Edited by Tex

6 minutes ago, Tex said:

Love how people are suddenly valuing JImmy G around here at some great QB. He was at best an avg QB (having a decent season) in a system he fits in. Brock Purdy is much in a similar position. The only difference is that Purdy does not have any experience in the postseason (neither did Jimmy really before 2019 season) and even then it's not like Jimmy was the reason why the Niners have won their postseason games (including last year). This is a unique situation where the Niners have a system that can plug and play a guy in there that can run their system. 

If you didn't believe the Niners could make it to the Super Bowl prior to this injury then there's obviously no reason to believe so now of course. But if you did, there's no reason to think they still can't. Jimmy G was never going to be the reason the 49ers made it to the Super Bowl, anyone thinking that he was is kidding themselves. The ONLY thing Brock Purdy has to do is limit any turnovers and run the offense the way Shanahan wants it to be run. That might sound like a large endeavor but as you can see today it was not for Mr Brock against a decent defense. Some will argue that once teams get tape on this guy that they will "figure him out".. there's nothing to figure out. He's not going to be the reason why the Niners win their games, he's an ancillary piece to their overall offense. 

It's not plug and play and everyone is successful.  That's why the record of the niners with and without Jimmy is always a topic of conversation. 

There is still a level of talent and skill that is needed. Nick mullens was once the apple of everyone's eye as well. 

Ultimately we will find out where Purdy fits, but generally speaking the odds are that he's closer to Nick mullens than he is Jimmy g

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Forge said:

It's not plug and play. That's why the record of the niners with and without Jimmy is a topic of conversation. 

There is still a level of talent and skill that is needed. Nick mullens was once the apple of everyone's eye as well. 

Ultimately we will find out where Purdy fits, but generally speaking the odds are that he's closer to Nick mullens than he is Jimmy g

Nick Mullens has a lot more flaws in his game than Brock. There's also a big difference in this Niners offense compared to years past. This is the most loaded roster on offense outside of QB that the Niners have had in probably 25+ years. Their strength still seems to be their defense which one can argue is the best in the NFL. All I can say you'll see what I mean come January. Short of Brock imploding to be completely inept (does not seem like that kind of QB to me) the Niners will have the same shot at winning that they did previously. Jimmy was never going to elevate them on his own to win it, the real reason was going to be what I mentioned in my previous post.

Edited by Tex

3 hours ago, Tex said:

Love how people are suddenly valuing Jimmy G around here at some great QB and writing the Niners off because of his injury. He was at best an avg QB (having a decent season) in a system he fits in. Brock Purdy is much in a similar position. The only difference is that Purdy does not have any experience in the postseason (neither did Jimmy really before 2019 season) and even then it's not like Jimmy was the reason why the Niners have won their postseason games (including last year). This is a unique situation where the Niners have a system that can plug and play a guy in there that can run their system. 

If you didn't believe the Niners could make it to the Super Bowl prior to this injury then there's obviously no reason to believe so now of course. But if you did, there's no reason to think they still can't. Jimmy G was never going to be the reason the 49ers made it to the Super Bowl, anyone thinking that he was is kidding themselves - we've seen time and time again that Jimmy can't be the guy when needed to win a game. The Niners are biggest strengths are their skill position players who get YAC, their run game, and their defense -- these would be why they'd win the game, not the QB making some great plays. The ONLY thing Brock Purdy has to do is limit any turnovers and run the offense the way Shanahan wants it to be run. That might sound like a large endeavor but as you can see today it was not for Mr Brock against a decent defense - he's definitely a good fit to run this offense. Some will argue that once teams get tape on this guy that they will "figure him out".. there's nothing to figure out. He's not going to be the reason why the Niners win their games, he's an ancillary piece to their overall offense. 

You make it sound so easy for a 7th round rookie QB to come in, and mindlessly run the offense like he's been in it for years. This is the same QB who two weeks ago turned the wrong way on a handoff in mop-up duty. Jimmy just has more experience plain and simple postseason or not, and has the timing, and trust with the players regardless of his arm-talent. The 49ers chances significantly drop now that he's out of the lineup. A cold bucket of reality is on it's way to showcase that even if Jimmy was an average QB, the delta between an average QB and a 7th round rookie is a lot more vast compared to an average QB and a top dog QB. There is a reason why Shanahan has been bad record-wise with other cats under center. A loaded roster will help, but not mitigate the loss of a quality triggerman. There is only so much X's and O's can mitigate. Once teams stack tape on Purdy, it's going to be rough sledding. 

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe
  • Like 4

5 hours ago, Thelonebillsfan said:

Lol I actually just saw the actual play for the first time.

Jimmy, what the hell are you doing man just take the sack.

He was trying to stay in field goal range probably. Obviously in hindsight he would have liked to have taken the sack, but he's a player who fights hard for his team. Whoops. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Forge said:

I also don't think you can pick up a fifth year option when you've seen him play 4 games. 

Coincidentally, it only took the same regime 2-3 games to commit to Jimmy before they gave him a pretty hefty contract (for a guy that hasn’t shown much on the field)…

Main difference is, SF should have a much better idea of where Lance is at by the time that time comes. Sure, minimal game action in that hypothetical, but he’ll have been in the building healthy for awhile at that point.

Edited by Yin-Yang

9 hours ago, Forge said:

The thing is, they've already shown that they are fine with giving this team over to Trey. Nothing has really changed here. Not like the team is suddenly so much better than anyone thought or anything. 

I also don't think you can pick up a fifth year option when you've seen him play 4 games. 

My guess is that if Purdy is just meh, they try and sign a guy to fall back on if Lance sucks/ gets hurt

The reasonable expectation was that he would take at least take a leap from Year 1 to 2. Instead he was highly erratic in practice/preseason and couldn't last 5 quarters in the regular season. He also had a knee injury his first ever start against Arizona in 2021. So, that's 2 injuries in 4 starts which is highly concerning for his long-term durability. 

The team also definitely still thinks they are a SB contender. They wouldn't have traded for McCaffrey otherwise. And McCaffrey wasn't a rental. This team is stacked and has a 2-3 year window

So, you either do a 1A/1B situation with Lance and someone like Huntley/Jones/Minshew as the 1B, or sign Brady and maybe keep Lance/Purdy as the backups. Which option is the better one to win a SB over the next 2-3 seasons? Thats what Shanny/Lynch will care about

Edited by 49ersfan

44 minutes ago, Yin-Yang said:

Coincidentally, it only took the same regime 2-3 games to commit to Jimmy before they gave him a pretty hefty contract (for a guy that hasn’t shown much on the field)…

Main difference is, SF should have a much better idea of where Lance is at by the time that time comes. Sure, minimal game action in that hypothetical, but he’ll have been in the building healthy for awhile at that point.

It was 5, but this is a good point. 

Though in Jimmy's defense, in those 5 games he was 5-0 for a team that was 1-10, so he did show something 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, 49ersfan said:

The reasonable expectation was that he would take at least take a leap from Year 1 to 2. Instead he was highly erratic in practice/preseason and couldn't last 5 quarters in the regular season. He also had a knee injury his first ever start against Arizona in 2021. So, that's 2 injuries in 4 starts which is highly concerning for his long-term durability. 

The team also definitely still thinks they are a SB contender. They wouldn't have traded for McCaffrey otherwise. And McCaffrey wasn't a rental. This team is stacked and has a 2-3 year window

So, you either do a 1A/1B situation with Lance and someone like Huntley/Jones/Minshew as the 1B, or sign Brady and maybe keep Lance/Purdy as the backups. Which option is the better one to win a SB over the next 2-3 seasons? Thats what Shanny/Lynch will care about

All of that stuff (save the injury) was still applicable when they gave him the job to start the year. If Purdy doesn't blow the doors off, I assume they will sign a backup who could start if necessary. 

6 minutes ago, Forge said:

It was 5, but this is a good point. 

Though in Jimmy's defense, in those 5 games he was 5-0 for a team that was 1-10, so he did show something 

I meant before the trade, his game time as a Patriot was only 2-3 games worth of throws. I use the trade as the starting point for “committing” to Jimmy, just because I don’t think they’d make the trade and then not sign him (or tag). 

Worth mentioning, I’m sure SF will be in a much different place cap wise when Trey’s up for his 5th year vs where they were at when Jimmy was brought in.

Edited by Yin-Yang
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Forge said:

All of that stuff (save the injury) was still applicable when they gave him the job to start the year. If Purdy doesn't blow the doors off, I assume they will sign a backup who could start if necessary. 

If Lance could start this year and be up and down but show flashes of his potential i'd be more forgiving. But the injuries are a big deal. At this point its a reasonable assumption that whatever backup QB we sign will start 5-7 games next season. Just like it was with Jimmy.

Do we have a better chance of winning a SB with Lance starting 10 games & Jones starting 7? Or with Brady starting 17? This is the question i think Shanny/Lynch will ask themselves

Edited by 49ersfan

4 minutes ago, 49ersfan said:

If Lance could start this year and be up and down but show flashes of his potential i'd be more forgiving. But the injuries are a big deal. At this point its a reasonable assumption that whatever backup QB we sign will start 5-7 games next season. Just like it was with Jimmy.

Do we have a better chance of winning a SB with Lance starting 10 games & Jones starting 7? Or with Brady starting 17? 

What else are you losing by paying Brady 40 million? As I said earlier, he has to come at a financial discount to even start talking about that. My guess is it's Lance next year. Maybe if Brady were ripping it up, they take a chance, but Brady is not a long term solution either. 

2 minutes ago, Forge said:

What else are you losing by paying Brady 40 million? 

Will it be 40? His initial contract with TB was 2/50. He also has 20+ years of earnings and a $375 million contract heading his way after he retires so i doubt he'll be super expensive. Anyways, either way i'm sure they'll manage it. I think we restructured Kittle, Armstead & Williams deals this year already. You do that for McCaffrey, lower Bosa and Aiyuk's cap hit with extensions, etc