Jimmy G out 7-8 weeks with foot injury

bigbadbuff

On 12/26/2022 at 11:04 AM, biggie. said:

I'm the biggest Jimmy apologist but if the earliest he'd be available is the conference championship, then at the point I'd rather ride the hot hand and not knock off that rhythm.

That was my point and it looks more and more like Purdy will keep his job anyway, just put up 37 pts without Deebo, I mean...

On 12/17/2022 at 2:09 PM, ET80 said:

Jimmy G averaged roughly 31 attempts/game in his starts. Purdy averages 23/game in his starts. Purdy averages 113 passing yards/game, Jimmy G averages over 100 yards/game more (221). Christian McCaffery averaged 12.5 carries with Jimmy G, 20 carries with Purdy. It’s pretty blatant - with Jimmy G, the 49ers throw the ball more, push the ball downfield more and rely on the run less.

That is scaling back an offense, regardless of points per game. The 49ers are putting an emphasis on the run now that Jimmy is out.

I do not disagree on the overall points you are intending to make regarding Brock Purdy as a likely temporary phenomenon, but requoting information that was incorrect at the time and is even more incorrect now isn't the way to do it. At the time of this post, Purdy was averaging 201 yards per game on a low number of attempts, not 113. Perhaps, giving the benefit of the doubt, you included the very short relief appearance against the Chiefs as a part of your inaccurate calculation. Purdy's yards per attempt have consistently been very good -that's a Shanahan thing, of course, but it's the same situation that Jimmy had and Jimmy also had Deebo. I do not appreciate producing inaccurate numbers in an attempt make your argument appear more well-supported than it is, even if I agree with your conclusions. Purdy's attempts per start is now up to 28.2 (including the game against Miami where he took over after one Jimmy G drive) and his yards per game is 226. Neither of those is just about any different whatsoever to Jimmy. Purdy's been more prone to turnover worthy plays and teams will stack tape on him and he'll have worse days. But that doesn't change the fact that the stats that you attempt to cite tell the opposite of the story that you are intending to support.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...