QB Jimmy Garoppolo Out For Season With a Broken Foot

J-ALL-DAY

2 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Does anyone think with this will be the end of any team signing Jimmy to be the starter going forward? This is now the third season ending injury he's had, and that's not even counting the injury he had in 2016 and the few games he missed last season. No chance he comes back to SF unless it will be for a backup role.

I think he will be back for the start of the offseason, so teams can work him out, and if the foot heals ok, I imagine somebody would want him.  It's still too early to speculate about next year though.

14 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Does anyone think with this will be the end of any team signing Jimmy to be the starter going forward? This is now the third season ending injury he's had, and that's not even counting the injury he had in 2016 and the few games he missed last season. No chance he comes back to SF unless it will be for a backup role.

Someone will definitely sign him as a starter. It hurts his payday though because teams will know that they have to carry a competent back up

• Like 3

3 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Great question, I think if he managed to finish out healthy and with some playoff wins, I think they’d make it happen. But now they’re in this weird spot where he’s going to be hard to afford and he’s genuinely injury prone. So yeah, I’m inclined to say this was it.

let’s see if Purdy can put some magic together 

2 minutes ago, John232 said:

Great question, I think if he managed to finish out healthy and with some playoff wins, I think they’d make it happen. But now they’re in this weird spot where he’s going to be hard to afford and he’s genuinely injury prone. So yeah, I’m inclined to say this was it.

let’s see if Purdy can put some magic together 

I think he's basically entering moderately paid bridge qb now, but I do think he'll get a starting job. 

Someone just pay him enough to give us a third round comp pick 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Forge said:

I think he's basically entering moderately paid bridge qb now, but I do think he'll get a starting job. 

Someone just pay him enough to give us a third round comp pick 

2 years 20M type of deal? Essentially a high level back up salary, correct? 

15 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

2 years 20M type of deal? Essentially a high level back up salary, correct? 

https://overthecap.com/the-basics-and-methodology-of-projecting-the-nfls-compensatory-draft-picks

If I'm reading this correctly, his AAV would have to be in the top 5%... so let's say there are 200 eligible free agents signed, his deal would have to be top 10 among them.

Years ago someone on this forum had the formula nailed... no clue what his screen name was 

Just now, J-ALL-DAY said:

Um, I need to see it to believe it. If he is getting 20M per year, then I only see it being a one year deal where the team can get out of the contract in year two. 

That's what those usually are. The cap is expected to jump a good amount next year... Projections are 20 million. Salaries go up

1 minute ago, Forge said:

That's what those usually are. The cap is expected to jump a good amount next year... Projections are 20 million. Salaries go up

Okay, I can see that happening then but I don't see him getting a two year deal for that much without the team having an option to get out of it after a year. Dude just is too fragile and unreliable. 

Just now, J-ALL-DAY said:

Okay, I can see that happening then but I don't see him getting a two year deal for that much without the team having an option to get out of it after a year. Dude just is too fragile and unreliable. 

It'll probably be something like 3/60 but only 20 or so guaranteed so they can get out of it after a year. Just allows a team to spread the cap hit over two years. 

Derek Carr signed for 3 years 121 million this year (40 million a year)  but it's really just 1 year, 35 million. He has another 40 million that guarantees fairly quickly (before league year next year), but it does basically give them an out before that to trade or release him (I expect him to get traded next month). 

So I imagine it's something like that 

• Like 1