QB Jimmy Garoppolo Out For Season With a Broken Foot

J-ALL-DAY

12 minutes ago, Forge said:

It'll probably be something like 3/60 but only 20 or so guaranteed so they can get out of it after a year. Just allows a team to spread the cap hit over two years. 

Derek Carr signed for 3 years 121 million this year (40 million a year)  but it's really just 1 year, 35 million. He has another 40 million that guarantees fairly quickly (before league year next year), but it does basically give them an out before that to trade or release him (I expect him to get traded next month). 

So I imagine it's something like that 

We should trade Lance for Carr and a pick or two

If the cap could be worked out of course 

Edited by adamq

12 minutes ago, adamq said:

Option 1 - Lance 1A, Minshew/Jones/Huntley as 1B. Probably have to trade picks for Huntley since he's a RFA.

Option 2 - Brady in FA, Lance/Purdy as backups

Option 3 - go all out for Lamar Jackson since his contract issue is unsettled.

Those are the likely realistic options. Jimmy G is gone 100% IMO. 

Edited by 49ersfan
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, 49ersfan said:

As @49erscap cap said, never say never. If this injury crushes Jimmy's market, entirely possible he could come back on a similar deal that he had this year as a backup. I think he's gone because he'll still find a starting job, but it's possible he doesn't

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, adamq said:

This would be hilarious. So many people in this forum were against drafting Mac, only to turn around 2 years later and trade Trey for a more expensive, much older version of him. 

And I'm a Carr fan, I just find that sequence of events funny

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, 49ersfan said:

Option 1 - Lance 1A, Minshew/Jones/Huntley as 1B. Probably have to trade picks for Huntley since he's a RFA.

Option 2 - Brady in FA, Lance/Purdy as backups

Option 3 - go all out for Lamar Jackson since his contract issue is unsettled.

I think option 1 is most likely. Lance paired with Purdy and someone else. I was thinking more along the lines of Darnold or Dalton though (just because the niners have shown interest in the past)

I think option 2 is the second most likely, but I don't think it's all that likely. The point comes down to what Brady is looking for financially and how the team feels about lance. Very possible that this team is out on Lance and they are just saying the right things about how they feel about him. No idea. 

Option 3 is like .01% chance to me, but it would be fun. I think in order to make this work, Baltimore had to be a really big fan of Trey Lance at the time because I don't think we are shelling out like 3 firsts to acquire him.  

9 minutes ago, Forge said:

As @49erscap cap said, never say never. If this injury crushes Jimmy's market, entirely possible he could come back on a similar deal that he had this year as a backup. I think he's gone because he'll still find a starting job, but it's possible he doesn't

True. But i think he has options this year.

Rams make sense if they're not rebuilding and Stafford retires. They were interested in August before we re-signed him

Pats, Jets, Colts, Giants, Commanders all make sense to compete for starting roles

Jimmy G has familiarity with the Texans GM & Raiders HC, but i think Texans go QB at 1 and Raiders keep Carr

Just now, 49ersfan said:

True. But i think he has options this year.

Rams make sense if they're not rebuilding and Stafford retires. They were interested in August before we re-signed him

Pats, Jets, Colts, Giants, Commanders all make sense to compete for starting roles

Jimmy G has familiarity with the Texans GM & Raiders HC, but i think Texans go QB at 1 and Raiders keep Carr

Yeah, I don't think he's back, I'm just not going to fully rule it out. I do think he'll find a starting job somewhere. Too many teams need qbs 

• Like 2