Matthew Stafford

Louis Friend

Matthew Stafford has been put on IR after experiencing numbness in his legs from a reported neck injury. Just hours ago, Sean McVay told reporters that Stafford has a "spinal cord contusion". Contusion is just a medical term for bruise, but being the second spinal cord injury for Stafford in his career, could he walk away from the game? If he does, would you like to see him retire a Lion? 

Edited by Louis Friend

I think he should retire. He's won his ring. He's been an absolute stud on a lot of bad Lions teams. He represented this team in a way where I was proud to have him as our QB. The trade just made sense for both sides when it happened. I don't blame him for asking for it. 

• Like 3

Just now, theuntouchable said:

I think his wife will likely be in his ear about putting the cleats up. 

There were rumours about this happening suddenly while he was still with the Lions. 

Having won a ring and dealing with what seems like a more serious injury than he previously had, this seems like a very realistic option.

It has been interesting to learn a bit more about Andrew Luck and his decision to retire when he did. Injuries and his wife are both reasons behind his decision. 

• Like 2

Just now, Karnage84 said:

There were rumours about this happening suddenly while he was still with the Lions. 

Having won a ring and dealing with what seems like a more serious injury than he previously had, this seems like a very realistic option.

It has been interesting to learn a bit more about Andrew Luck and his decision to retire when he did. Injuries and his wife are both reasons behind his decision. 

And I know Stafford loves football but after watching his wife go through a traumatic brain event, I’m sure there’s at least a smidgeon of fear in the back of his mind now too. 

hate to see it for sure as I love Stafford but it wouldn’t surprise me to see him walk away. 

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Millenhater said:

I would like him to retire a Lion. Otherwise it would extremely awkward for our all time passing leader to retire anywhere else. It would look bad

I'm in that same boat. I would personally like to see it but I can also understand how he might want to retire as a Ram given it helped him reach his career pinnacle to this date. They're also a huge media market so anything post-NFL could see a boom in that market. 

19 hours ago, Nnivolcm said:

It hasn't seemed to hurt Joe Montana's or the 49ers reputations.

The difference is the 49ers had a HOF QB behind him and they are one of the better franchises in the league.  The Lions are still dealing with the PR nightmare that is Calvin and Crosby.  You add in Stafford and it becomes an even less desirable place for FAs. 

2 minutes ago, Millenhater said:

The difference is the 49ers had a HOF QB behind him and they are one of the better franchises in the league.  The Lions are still dealing with the PR nightmare that is Calvin and Crosby.  You add in Stafford and it becomes an even less desirable place for FAs. 

I don't believe if Stafford signs a one day contract or not factors into any FA's decision making.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Nnivolcm said:

I don't believe if Stafford signs a one day contract or not factors into any FA's decision making.

Maybe not a FA on the open market but I wonder how it would factor in with our own UFA's. If you've been drafted into a team with a long-standing history and tradition, there will be a number of guys that want to end their careers with said team (potential HOF, ring of honour, etc.). A lot of players play because they want to be great and receive the recognition for that as opposed to just going for money. 

How the team treats its own greats can/will play a role in whether that player wants to stay because of how they're recognized vs just going out and chasing the dollar (or looking for that recognition from a team that treats their greats much better). 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Karnage84 said:

Maybe not a FA on the open market but I wonder how it would factor in with our own UFA's. If you've been drafted into a team with a long-standing history and tradition, there will be a number of guys that want to end their careers with said team (potential HOF, ring of honour, etc.). A lot of players play because they want to be great and receive the recognition for that as opposed to just going for money. 

How the team treats its own greats can/will play a role in whether that player wants to stay because of how they're recognized vs just going out and chasing the dollar (or looking for that recognition from a team that treats their greats much better). 

How about bringing their past greats back for administrative rolls (spielman), and advisory roles (Barry sanders)? Not only that but Detroit investing in former players as coaches, and the general appreciation of Dan Campbell. They even made a very good offer to Calvin Johnson after the initial fiasco and he denied it.

I think this is a non-issue.

• Like 1