2023 Season Plan

KingTitan

Anyways, a few releases should be obvious. Dupree, Cunningham and Woods are gone. They have to be. Lewan is gone at his current price, though I could be convinced to bring him back if he takes a cut.

Tannehill is the big one and decides the future of the team. Which is a bummer since I love Ryan and wish we could’ve been so much better around him the last two years. But for our long-term success, it’s best to move on. And for his long-term health, he’s almost certainly better off in Washington, New York, Tampa, Atlanta or New Orleans than he is spending his last good years getting massacred behind this abomination of a line.

The second worst thing we did this past offseason was restructure Henry. On the hook for a $16 million cap hit for a RB that will turn 30 during the season with a plate in his foot. That’s not what you’re after when attempting to do a reset.

Just now, twotonebluenation said:

As apart of the plan for the start of the offseason, can we take away Jrobs scouting privileges for offensive lineman please. Let's let someone else make those decisions. 

It’s what makes me real nervous about even trying the reset. It relies almost entirely on Robinson effectively evaluating offensive linemen in the draft and in FA. Because if we’re going to shed a bunch of salary to reshape the team, most of the resources need to be devoted to a complete and total rebuild of the OL, and Robinson has shown absolutely no ability to address the OL in years. The only truly good lineman he’s drafted in six years is Conklin, who was a top 10 pick that we only got three healthy years out of.

3 hours ago, titans0021 said:

And, as you said, I have real doubts whether we’ll be willing/able to walk away from a near guaranteed playoff berth to build for 2024 and beyond.

i just don't see how it's a "near guarantee" when we will be absolutely limping into the playoffs this year waiting for whatever wild card team is lucky enough to draw us and end our suffering, and while the afc south isn't going to turn into a powerhouse all of a sudden i find it unlikely that it will be as staggeringly incompetent as we've seen this year. the jaguars at the very least are due for a jump in year 2 with doug. also, if we operated by this logic, we would have gone all-in on upgrading the roster this past offseason instead of letting it rot around tannehill in a pseudo-rebuild state.

I may be alone in this but I think Vrabel likes the offense and scheme, he just wants it executed better. The idea folks have that TD is gone I think is premature. Vrabel seems to be loyal to a fault...but even if we do get rid of TD...who even is our tight ends coach that will replace him. 

Seriously though, anyone looking to move into anything that looks like a modern offense is in my opinion going to be in for some severe disappointment!! Vrab's is a defensive guy that believes in running the ball, passing as needed, controlling the clock and have a good defense. We currently have the defense when healthy to execute his ideal game plan, but not the O-line. I look for a revamped O-line, and defensive depth for next season and not much more...for the love of god I hope I am wrong!!!

BTW, I feel bad for Daley...the guy is really not equipped to be a starting anything in the NFL, yet he is forced into starting at the most important spot on the line...and get all of the blame for all of our offensive issues. It is difficult for me to believe there isn't someone on the roster that wouldn't be an absolute turnstile at LT, yet we haven't tried anyone else. Did we trade for him...is JRob forcing this to make a trade look like it wasn't a waste?

Edited by Dr.Doom52

15 minutes ago, -Hope- said:

i just don't see how it's a "near guarantee" when we will be absolutely limping into the playoffs this year waiting for whatever wild card team is lucky enough to draw us and end our suffering, and while the afc south isn't going to turn into a powerhouse all of a sudden i find it unlikely that it will be as staggeringly incompetent as we've seen this year. the jaguars at the very least are due for a jump in year 2 with doug. also, if we operated by this logic, we would have gone all-in on upgrading the roster this past offseason instead of letting it rot around tannehill in a pseudo-rebuild state.

We’ll limp into the playoffs, sure, but we’re also a win against the Jaguars away from essentially clinching the division with a quarter of the season left.

There’s just no reason to expect significant jumps from either of the other three teams and even the most minor OL additions would make me comfortable that we can just win the South again. Not that it’s enough or should be the goal, but in another year where we’ve been hammered by injuries and our starting QB is limping around we essentially had the division locked up by Thanksgiving. 

3 minutes ago, deeluxx3 said:

FWIW

count me in the group that think Downing is back next year. I genuinely think he will be

until vrabel develops literally any kind of capacity for change on the offensive side of the ball, which i've seen no evidence for, i'd expect downing to be back as well.

4 hours ago, 615finest said:

But he gotta force the run.. At this point it’s time to pass to set up the run.. OC needs to go asap.

The reality of all that is forcing the run with Henry and sticking with it is why we have all those big plays.  This is a deceiving stat