2023 Season Plan

KingTitan

1 hour ago, KingTitan said:

Can NPF play LT or OG? Anyone think?

There are some good plug and play RT's in this draft. I'd hate to pass up a good one because we are trying to work NPF there, when he could be equally effective inside or on the left.

Definitely can’t play LT effectively. 

1 hour ago, KingTitan said:

Can NPF play LT or OG? Anyone think?

There are some good plug and play RT's in this draft. I'd hate to pass up a good one because we are trying to work NPF there, when he could be equally effective inside or on the left.

he played LT his senior year and RT his junior year and was way, way worse at LT. so i wouldn't count on it.

Just thinking about people's desire to wait til next year to get a QB. 

If we are willing to trade up and trade the farm to get someone like Williams, how many other teams are willing to do the same. 

Not to mention if a team actually tanks for him and selects him. 

We shouldn't be the worst team in the league so our chances to draft him naturally will be hard. 

18 minutes ago, KingTitan said:

Just thinking about people's desire to wait til next year to get a QB. 

If we are willing to trade up and trade the farm to get someone like Williams, how many other teams are willing to do the same. 

Not to mention if a team actually tanks for him and selects him. 

We shouldn't be the worst team in the league so our chances to draft him naturally will be hard. 

Williams isn't the only QB in next year's class.

21 minutes ago, Daniel said:

Williams isn't the only QB in next year's class.

No but he is the only one being talked up as generational type. 

Drake maye is good but is he any more special than Young or Stroud. 

And then it goes back to the whole conversation about the next class being the better of the current. 

Outside of Maye and Williams. Nobody that I know of is being talked up to better than anyone outside of Young and Maye. Unless I'm missing someone 

3 minutes ago, KingTitan said:

No but he is the only one being talked up as generational type. 

Drake maye is good but is he any more special than Young or Stroud. 

And then it goes back to the whole conversation about the next class being the better of the current. 

Outside of Maye and Williams. Nobody that I know of is being talked up to better than anyone outside of Young and Maye. Unless I'm missing someone 

The consensus on that seems to be yes.

16 minutes ago, Daniel said:

The consensus on that seems to be yes.

Hmm ok.

Well if that is the case then would anyone really give up their chance to draft him. If they are picking #2 then something went wrong. 

Unless it's a team like Bengals and Burrow got hurt then they bottomed out. I'd imagine that team would be willing to get rid of their guy to take Maye. 

Just don't see us picking #1 or 2. 

And my opinion is that anyone else after that is no more worthy to trade up for than any of the "top" 4 this year. 

My view of it. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, KingTitan said:

And my opinion is that anyone else after that is no more worthy to trade up for than any of the "top" 4 this year. 

My view of it. 

And no offense, but you seem to be saying you haven't even really seen these guys play.  You're blindly saying "well, the guys next year aren't better" when you haven't been watching them.

Getting that third QB next season is almost certainly a lot cheaper than getting one of the top two this year, and the dropoff from top two to three this year is very, very steep.

Personally, I'd rather go with Bo Nix than Bryce Young this year, if the choice was there.  Young is a much better player, but his size is a serious concern.  And Nix may not even be the third QB next year.  Jordan Travis and Quinn Ewers seem to be more in contention for that.  Then there's Sheduer Sanders, KJ Jefferson, Joe Milton, and Jayden Daniels for traits guys that could blow up.

It's a waaaay better QB class, and we may not have to mortgage our entire future in order to get one of them.

Just think about it in supply and demand terms.  When the supply of good QB prospects is high, the demand to trade up for them will be less costly then it is this year when there's two.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Daniel said:

And no offense, but you seem to be saying you haven't even really seen these guys play.  You're blindly saying "well, the guys next year aren't better" when you haven't been watching them.

Getting that third QB next season is almost certainly a lot cheaper than getting one of the top two this year, and the dropoff from top two to three this year is very, very steep.

Personally, I'd rather go with Bo Nix than Bryce Young this year, if the choice was there.  Young is a much better player, but his size is a serious concern.  And Nix may not even be the third QB next year.  Jordan Travis and Quinn Ewers seem to be more in contention for that.  Then there's Sheduer Sanders, KJ Jefferson, Joe Milton, and Jayden Daniels for traits guys that could blow up.

It's a waaaay better QB class, and we may not have to mortgage our entire future in order to get one of them.

Just think about it in supply and demand terms.  When the supply of good QB prospects is high, the demand to trade up for them will be less costly than it is this year when there's two.

There’ always a QB or two who surprises and improve their draft stock from what it was a year later. Hendon Hooker is that guy this year(may have been a 1st rounder this year if not for his injury), 2021 Mac Jones was the guy, 2020 Joe Burrow, 2019 Daniel Jones and Dwayne Haskins, and so on and so on.

I could easily see a guy like Michael Pennix Jr or any of the guys you listed improving and upping the draft stock a year from now. Or some guy we’re not even thinking of popping on to the scene. And as we see this year with Richardson and Levis, even a bad year isn’t a death sentence to a guy’s draft stock if he has intriguing physical tools.

10 hours ago, Daniel said:

Just think about it in supply and demand terms.  When the supply of good QB prospects is high, the demand to trade up for them will be less costly then it is this year when there's two.

No offense taken.

But no, I'm very well aware of the class. Because of the conversations here and the idea passing over this class for the next. It's not a blind statement. 

I admittedly am not overly in love with Williams. I see his talent and I see him being an #1 pick, but I see a lot of flaws in him too, that I don't think will work consistently in the NFL. 
Maye also. I'm more a fan of him than Williams, but also, not sure if he is a product of environment or supreme talent. I'd like to see how he does this year and if he can consistently display those skills. 

But I was told that being over 23 entering the draft was a bad thing. Nix, Pennix and some others will be 24 entering their rookie year. 

Pennix and Nix aren't any bigger prospect than someone like Hendon Hooker. Pennix Jr is Hooker to me, right down to the ACL. 

And no offense to you, but the "promise" of next year's class is always made. With the exception of last year and every blue moon the QB class doesn't have a good group. So the "Oh but wait until you see next year's class."

All these QB's I'd say are/were legit prospects. But now they are either thought of as lower round picks, projected to be backups or stayed in school, hoping to have better statistical years.  But when thinking about a QB that might "breakout" is that something we really should be banking on?  With the way these systems are designed or spread offenses, a QB like Bailey Zappe or Carson Strong will enter the discussion of are they a QB worth drafting. 

Hooker is being doubted by people here because of his age and system. However, we are going to overlook that variable next year?

With that said, I have no problem with targeting any of the QB's next year if we feel we can't get our QB or none are worth it this year after evaluations.

I personally love Drake Maye. I've been a big fan of Jayden Daniels since his freshman year. 

However, I'm not going to pass over anyone this year with the idea of just banking on "next year looks great."

Like someone else mentioned, I'm all for drafting a QB until you get it right, take one every year if needed. Do the homework and if you think you can get Young or Stroud, go get them. Do the work and if you think Levis or Richardson can work, get him. If you believe Hooker can be a great pro, get him.....etc,

9 hours ago, TitanSlim said:

There’ always a QB or two who surprises and improve their draft stock from what it was a year later. Hendon Hooker is that guy this year(may have been a 1st rounder this year if not for his injury), 2021 Mac Jones was the guy, 2020 Joe Burrow, 2019 Daniel Jones and Dwayne Haskins, and so on and so on.

I could easily see a guy like Michael Pennix Jr or any of the guys you listed improving and upping the draft stock a year from now. Or some guy we’re not even thinking of popping on to the scene. And as we see this year with Richardson and Levis, even a bad year isn’t a death sentence to a guy’s draft stock if he has intriguing physical tools.

May I ask then what is the difference between the guys this year that falls under that "breakout" year or popping on the scene and then waiting for the one next year?

Not directed at you but a general question to the forum, how comfortable would people be to drafing a guy that had a great year statistically, after a down year the previous year. 
or

Someone that transferred to the a different system and put up numbers.

Is that someone we are willing to bank on?

I'm just thinking about someone like Spencer Rattler. If he wasn't highly draftable prospect now, what are the chances they become a great prospect next year? And do we want to put that much weight on a good statistical year?

Just questions.