2023 Season Plan

KingTitan

45 minutes ago, KingTitan said:

No offense taken.

But no, I'm very well aware of the class. Because of the conversations here and the idea passing over this class for the next. It's not a blind statement. 

I admittedly am not overly in love with Williams. I see his talent and I see him being an #1 pick, but I see a lot of flaws in him too, that I don't think will work consistently in the NFL. 
Maye also. I'm more a fan of him than Williams, but also, not sure if he is a product of environment or supreme talent. I'd like to see how he does this year and if he can consistently display those skills. 

But I was told that being over 23 entering the draft was a bad thing. Nix, Pennix and some others will be 24 entering their rookie year. 

Pennix and Nix aren't any bigger prospect than someone like Hendon Hooker. Pennix Jr is Hooker to me, right down to the ACL. 

And no offense to you, but the "promise" of next year's class is always made. With the exception of last year and every blue moon the QB class doesn't have a good group. So the "Oh but wait until you see next year's class."

All these QB's I'd say are/were legit prospects. But now they are either thought of as lower round picks, projected to be backups or stayed in school, hoping to have better statistical years.  But when thinking about a QB that might "breakout" is that something we really should be banking on?  With the way these systems are designed or spread offenses, a QB like Bailey Zappe or Carson Strong will enter the discussion of are they a QB worth drafting. 

Hooker is being doubted by people here because of his age and system. However, we are going to overlook that variable next year?

With that said, I have no problem with targeting any of the QB's next year if we feel we can't get our QB or none are worth it this year after evaluations.

I personally love Drake Maye. I've been a big fan of Jayden Daniels since his freshman year. 

However, I'm not going to pass over anyone this year with the idea of just banking on "next year looks great."

Like someone else mentioned, I'm all for drafting a QB until you get it right, take one every year if needed. Do the homework and if you think you can get Young or Stroud, go get them. Do the work and if you think Levis or Richardson can work, get him. If you believe Hooker can be a great pro, get him.....etc,

I get the criticism of always waiting til next year.  However, the top two QBs in next year's classes would almost certainly both be selected before any QB in this year's class if they came out now.  That's different than last year, where the discussion was "Ooh, there are a lot of guys who could be great QB prospects."  The top two were still Stroud and Young, and they stayed the top two, and no one else really improved their stock much, other than Hooker.

And if we're willing to put someone like Levis or Richardson in the conversation, who are traits guys, then what's different with any of the other traits guys coming up?  They're not going to suddenly become unathletic.  So they're in that same conversation of the Levis/Richardson range next year no matter what happens, short of catastrophic injury.

Pennix is JAG in my opinion, so I'm not really putting him on the watch list.

But it's not so much that next year is a stacked class as much as it is that this year's is pretty weak.  Saying next year will be better than a weak year is a pretty solid bet.

My single biggest concern about the general idea of “waiting until next year” is that we have no idea who will be at the top of the draft and if they need QBs

my general stance is, if there’s a guy you truly love, do whatever possible to ensure you get him 

41 minutes ago, KingTitan said:

May I ask then what is the difference between the guys this year that falls under that "breakout" year or popping on the scene and then waiting for the one next year?

Not directed at you but a general question to the forum, how comfortable would people be to drafing a guy that had a great year statistically, after a down year the previous year. 
or

Someone that transferred to the a different system and put up numbers.

Is that someone we are willing to bank on?

I'm just thinking about someone like Spencer Rattler. If he wasn't highly draftable prospect now, what are the chances they become a great prospect next year? And do we want to put that much weight on a good statistical year?

Just questions.

For me it’s not just about putting up good numbers. It’s about the development and progression seen within the player. Let’s use Joe Burrow as an example. Yes he put up record breaking stats but what he showed and really improved on from his Junior to Senior year was his pocket presence, accuracy and decision making. He also had great teammates and a great system.

For each QB prospect, you have to see how the guys got their numbers, did they improve on their weaknesses from previous years, how strong or weak his teammates are, ect. It’s one of reasons a guy having 25 plus games as a starter is important for me because it gives you a large enough sample size to see if a guy is improving on his weaknesses.

16 minutes ago, deeluxx3 said:

My single biggest concern about the general idea of “waiting until next year” is that we have no idea who will be at the top of the draft and if they need QBs

my general stance is, if there’s a guy you truly love, do whatever possible to ensure you get him 

Just like they did with Jake Locker.

There needs to be a level of objectivity about these kinds of moves, unless the guy picking said QB that they truly love has a good enough track record to trust that he's not making a big mistake.

Just now, Daniel said:

Just like they did with Jake Locker.

There needs to be a level of objectivity about these kinds of moves, unless the guy picking said QB that they truly love has a good enough track record to trust that he's not making a big mistake.

What does Jake Locker have to do with anything?

if Jake came out a year early, wasn’t he supposed to be the top pick?

One year Jake is “objectively” great, the next he’s not an elite prospect 

spencer rattler goes from “potential future #1 pick” to the transfer portal 

cam Newton and Joe burrow go from transfers to elite prospects and players in one year 

all of its fluid. If there’s a guy in THIS draft you love and think you can win with, you draft him. Not a single one of them are guarantees save from the generational guys like Luck

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, deeluxx3 said:

What does Jake Locker have to do with anything?

if Jake came out a year early, wasn’t he supposed to be the top pick?

One year Jake is “objectively” great, the next he’s not an elite prospect 

spencer rattler goes from “potential future #1 pick” to the transfer portal 

cam Newton and Joe burrow go from transfers to elite prospects and players in one year 

all of its fluid. If there’s a guy in THIS draft you love and think you can win with, you draft him. Not a single one of them are guarantees save from the generational guys like Luck

I mean he was picked because the staff looked at him and decided he was their guy, and drafted him way earlier than he was projected to go.

I'm just saying that the "get your guy" approach is a real big gamble.  And it becomes an even bigger gamble when you're giving up future picks to do it.

30 minutes ago, Daniel said:

I mean he was picked because the staff looked at him and decided he was their guy, and drafted him way earlier than he was projected to go.

I'm just saying that the "get your guy" approach is a real big gamble.  And it becomes an even bigger gamble when you're giving up future picks to do it.

With Locker, he was an projected 1st round pick. Mocked as high as #3 to Buffalo or low as #26 to Seattle. It wasn't a wild swing to take him. I mean we were also mocked to take Gabbert. lol That year at QB wasn't a good year in the end, but had 6 QBs that were in the 1st round mix (Newton, Gabbert, Locker, Ponder, Kapernick and Dalton). Locker was supposed the #1 pick if he didn't stay in school. Newton came out of nowhere after transferring, Gabbert was in that system, lot of flat footed reads.  Anyway, point being they all were well thought of but had flaws. 

But couldn't they do the same with say Drake Maye or Caleb Williams?  I'm not sure I'm following the problem with a staff being sold on a player.  

Yeah they could pick the wrong guy, but that happens every pick, every year right? It's not a go get your guy even if nobody is worthy.

It's if you believe in the guy, go get him. Don't wait until the community is more united on how good a guy will be.

I'm using Richardson just because he is an easy example, but if they did all their research and had a legit plan and though we can do this with him, then go get him. If not don't force it and find a different plan at QB. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, deeluxx3 said:

You see random twitter guy

i see Adam Schefter 

It is written so it must be true!
He has a blue checkmark, which does not simply mean he paid for a checkmark. He is a valid and certified insider. 

What he says fits my desires, so it must be true!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, KingTitan said:

It is written so it must be true!
He has a blue checkmark, which does not simply mean he paid for a checkmark. He is a valid and certified insider. 

What he says fits my desires, so it must be true!

Yes, he absolutely earned that check mark due to legit and consistently accurate reporting for a publication that def exists even if Google says it doesn’t 

in a society of fake news, I’m glad journalists like Justin Cohen exist 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, deeluxx3 said:

Yes, he absolutely earned that check mark due to legit and consistently accurate reporting for a publication that def exists even if Google says it doesn’t 

in a society of fake news, I’m glad journalists like Justin Cohen exist 

Scrolling his timeline, I see nothing but insider bombs that he has dropped.  
Bears shopping #1 pick.
Titans like CJ. Stroud.
Carr has interest from Bucs and Jets. 

I'm going to stop there, because I'm going to get legit jealous his guy is better than mine. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KingTitan said:

Scrolling his timeline, I see nothing but insider bombs that he has dropped.  
Bears shopping #1 pick.
Titans like CJ. Stroud.
Carr has interest from Bucs and Jets. 

I'm going to stop there, because I'm going to get legit jealous his guy is better than mine. 

I am on pins and needles waiting for “the guys” first update if the RC era 

• Like 1