2023 Season Plan

KingTitan

4 minutes ago, deeluxx3 said:

I am 100% on board w/ a full purge

to me, the only "sure things" to keep on this team are:

Burks, Chig, NPF, Simmons, Autry, Landry, maybe Long, Stonehouse 

pathetic.

Again, if my feeble math brain can find a way to get $71 million in cap space, then they should be able to get at least 3 quarters of that. I just want some hope. 
Change the offense  and give me something to look forward to watching.

At no point leading up to the Jags game did I think our team would score more than 2 TDs at best. How pathetic is that?

Even the freaking Texans have a better offense than us. 

6 minutes ago, KingTitan said:

Again, if my feeble math brain can find a way to get $71 million in cap space, then they should be able to get at least 3 quarters of that. I just want some hope. 
Change the offense  and give me something to look forward to watching.

At no point leading up to the Jags game did I think our team would score more than 2 TDs at best. How pathetic is that?

Even the freaking Texans have a better offense than us. 

also want to include Kyle Phillips if he ever gets healthy again

I'm w/ you. I think you said in another thread...Jags don't have any world beaters, but a lot of B/C-grade players were added in the offseason. Would kill for some of those guys right now!

we're just a mediocre team. well-coached, but top heavy roster. and we always get slammed by injuries for whatever reason.

time to clean house w/ the roster..and I don't think that's being a prisoner of the moment. We aren't winning a SB w/ this group. Kinda starts and ends the convo right there if you ask me.

14 minutes ago, deeluxx3 said:

I am 100% on board w/ a full purge

to me, the only "sure things" to keep on this team are:

Burks, Chig, NPF, Simmons, Autry, Landry, maybe Long, Stonehouse 

pathetic.

The only problem with a full purge is the dead money.  We can free up a lot by purging the big hits like Lewan, Cunningham, Dupree, Woods, and Tanny (if we move on), but that does create plenty of holes as well, and I think, more and more, that we don't have as big a talent deficit as we think because we're so poorly coached on offense and so constantly injured.

If the coaching staff installs a competent play caller, and stops creating problems by constantly injuring our stars (we're doing something wrong, since we seem to be the only team with this consistent and this bad an injury problem), we're a good team even as we are, and even with all the problems on the roster.

Davis re-signing should be pretty cheap.  Lewan should take a team-friendly deal.  Even Dupree is a contributor, and if we pay him like a contributor (assuming he's willing to take a cut/extension), then we avoid the dead money problem.  Byard has been pretty open about being willing to restructure.  With all that, and the large space we have in 2023, we can bring in an OL or two, a couple of middle grade receivers, and pay Simmons.  The rest we can address in the draft.

I'm wary of blowing the whole thing up, at least if we're moving on from Tanny.  Malik will need a solid team around him on offense if we want him to become what he can be as a QB, and we can give him that.  But blowing the whole thing up will come with plenty of hiccups that a young QB really doesn't need.

5 minutes ago, deeluxx3 said:

I'm w/ you. I think you said in another thread...Jags don't have any world beaters, but a lot of B/C-grade players were added in the offseason. Would kill for some of those guys right now!

Yes. I've been on this approach since the Bears did it with Trubisky his best year. 2018.

They added: Trey Burton, Taylor Gabriel, Allen Robinson. drafted Anthony Miller,
From the previous WR room of Kendall Wright, Markus Wheaton, Josh Bellamy, and Dontrelle Iman, 

Mitch had career highs that year. and a double doink from making a playoff run. 

Now they couldn't sustain success, Mitch never improved, and they drafted poorly.
So it could backfire. 
But they built a Super-Bowl defense but offensively was stuck. 

Even if we wanted to hold on to Tanny and try to surround him, we could still create $52 million in cap space to play with.

1. Released Bud Dupree
    (Saved: $9,350,000)
  2. Released Taylor Lewan
    (Saved: $14,841,000)
  3. Released Robert Woods
    (Saved: $12,016,666)
  4. Released Zach Cunningham
    (Saved: $9,250,000)
  5. Released Jamarco Jones
    (Saved: $1,350,000)
  6. Released Randy Bullock
    (Saved: $2,130,000)
  7. Released Geoff Swaim
    (Saved: $825,000)
  8. Restructured Kevin Byard
    (Saved: $8,290,000)
  9. Restructured Harold Landry
    (Saved: $11,136,000)

Cap Space: $52.881.040

22 minutes ago, Daniel said:

The only problem with a full purge is the dead money.  We can free up a lot by purging the big hits like Lewan, Cunningham, Dupree, Woods, and Tanny (if we move on), but that does create plenty of holes as well, and I think, more and more, that we don't have as big a talent deficit as we think because we're so poorly coached on offense and so constantly injured.

If the coaching staff installs a competent play caller, and stops creating problems by constantly injuring our stars (we're doing something wrong, since we seem to be the only team with this consistent and this bad an injury problem), we're a good team even as we are, and even with all the problems on the roster.

Davis re-signing should be pretty cheap.  Lewan should take a team-friendly deal.  Even Dupree is a contributor, and if we pay him like a contributor (assuming he's willing to take a cut/extension), then we avoid the dead money problem.  Byard has been pretty open about being willing to restructure.  With all that, and the large space we have in 2023, we can bring in an OL or two, a couple of middle grade receivers, and pay Simmons.  The rest we can address in the draft.

I'm wary of blowing the whole thing up, at least if we're moving on from Tanny.  Malik will need a solid team around him on offense if we want him to become what he can be as a QB, and we can give him that.  But blowing the whole thing up will come with plenty of hiccups that a young QB really doesn't need.

The comeback to the concern about creating holes with the releases: When you look at the guys, would their absence  really make a difference?  I mean of course it does, but does it?

Even with Daley, we found ways to win games, so I'd imagine an off-season of finding anything other than him will be an upgrade. Not to go guy by guy but we simply can't function with we currently are. 
Literally, we can't take the contracts into next season. 

So it's do we try to tread water and keep some of these guys and hope they take a new deal or release them all, use the money to put the best team around Malik we can..

28 minutes ago, KingTitan said:

The comeback to the concern about creating holes with the releases: When you look at the guys, would their absence  really make a difference?  I mean of course it does, but does it?

The short answer is yes.  I'm responding to the idea of blowing up the entire roster minus a few core guys, not to just cutting the contracts you've outlined.

And even then, with just those, we do still need to find a starting LT, LG, RG, Edge, LB, No. 2 WR, No. 3 WR, TE, NT, LS, and K.

Just doing that on 53 million (before paying Simmons) and a draft is enough of a headache without adding in more replacements and dead money.

6 minutes ago, Daniel said:

The short answer is yes.  I'm responding to the idea of blowing up the entire roster minus a few core guys, not to just cutting the contracts you've outlined.

And even then, with just those, we do still need to find a starting LT, LG, RG, Edge, LB, No. 2 WR, No. 3 WR, TE, NT, LS, and K.

Just doing that on 53 million (before paying Simmons) and a draft is enough of a headache without adding in more replacements and dead money.

tbf, we need about half of those- LT/LG/EDGE/WR- regardless of whether anyone gets released or not.

• Like 1

I said what I thought in the GDT about moving forward to 2023 but thinking about it not much has changed out side MAYBE keeping woods but meh.

Big Jeff and Long are MUST resigns! I like Davis and Tart as well

CUTs

Lewan is probs done unless he takes a MAJOR paycut to be a backup swing guy lmao 

Zach Cunningham I like lowkey so idk

Bud needs to go and with Landry on the other side he isn't awful but he's cut

Woods tho he is perfect for a #2 guy but when he is forced to into the 1 that's putting him in jail

So we need LT EDGE WR LG LB 

Then we got the QB thing to work with. RT takes a paycut and competes with Malik? Sounds like we all know what we should do. Will we do it is another thing all together 

Losing that playoff game really did feel like the window slammed shut on us. Guess it did -____-

You know. If we just cut RT and move on to Malik. Need to put GREAT WRs TEs around him. I say trade for Dhop if he is on the market.  He's 31 and peds and stuff but dude is still that guy and Malik would have Dhop Burks Phillips McMath Chig Hoop! Thats what you gotta do when you have a QB on a rookie deal. And getting Landry back the pass rush will be crazy again just a thought

Also Dhop vs Houston 2 times a year would be AMAZING! Not saying it's gonna happen but they got Brown Anderson and also have Moore so they might need to let one go. Random thought very doubtful but if we do move on from RT we have to give the next QB weapons if its Malik or another rookie/Cheap FA Vet cause the king is on the back end. You can see it this year on the long runs he can't break away any more but he has a couple years left if we fix the Oline 

This offseason is really the crossroads.

It could go very bad or could be a jumpstart to something great.

Listening to Bussin with the Boys with Delanie(MUST listen BTW). Lewan feels that it's about to be a lot of turnover. And if you combine that with "The Guy" the players know there is about to be a big reset. 

I don't think they will try to put band aids on this with their vets. I think they really gonna turnover that roster. 

But it could turn us into a real superstar team or we could be headed back to the abyss. I don't think it will be anymore mediocre. Going to be Great or Terrible. 

1 hour ago, KingTitan said:

This offseason is really the crossroads.

It could go very bad or could be a jumpstart to something great.

Listening to Bussin with the Boys with Delanie(MUST listen BTW). Lewan feels that it's about to be a lot of turnover. And if you combine that with "The Guy" the players know there is about to be a big reset. 

I don't think they will try to put band aids on this with their vets. I think they really gonna turnover that roster. 

But it could turn us into a real superstar team or we could be headed back to the abyss. I don't think it will be anymore mediocre. Going to be Great or Terrible. 

i honestly hope you’re right. we have very little genuine young talent on this team, and a lot of aging vets. no more band-aids- a roster flip is badly, badly needed.

8 hours ago, deeluxx3 said:

If we are gonna flip the roster, then we need to move on from Tannehill 

you can’t start from scratch if he’s the qb 

Yeah to me it would make no sense. 
Unless you still just trying to keep it afloat and try to crack a window into being contender. 

To me we are on the wrong side of 7-6 type team. We aren't ascending. We are coming down from the mountain while the teams like Jets and Dolphins are climbing up. 

Our legit best hope of trying to really restart this and not be a doormat, is that Willis can make leaps and bounds over the summer. Otherwise, they will be inclined to try to keep Tannehill and fill in around him better.