2023 Season Plan

KingTitan

Was listening to radio and it got my mind going and thinking about trading up.

I am all for trading up to get the QB now if you believe in him.

Yes you lose the draft picks, but you will have the money.

Say you trade up for Richardson. 

You know exactly what offense you are trying to build around him.

"Potential FA's" which likely will change or not come on the market but thinking of 
Tyler Boyd
Jerry Judy
Mike Evans
Curtis Sameul
Devante Parker
Kendrick Bourne
Corey Davis

Even if one of those guys get to FA we will have the money to pay or over pay for them, to add to whoever we draft this year, Burks and Chig. 

OL  with some potential upgrades as well.

Some think to stay and try to build the roster and then maybe suck this year, but what if we get the QB, have some bumps and lumps and then be in a position to add in FA and remaining draft picks.

Say we spend 2 1sts or 3 1sts to get up to draft a QB. You still have say an 2nd or 3rd to add players or even trade that pick to add a weapon. 

Either way, we could be looking at a lump this year. Or maybe not who knows.

But what if you "build" this year and the players you build with do not live up to what you want and now you have to build and still find a QB, but not in position to get the QB you believe in.

I know we all have different views about it. 
But I'm ok with trading up. 

• Like 1

On 4/17/2023 at 4:58 PM, 615finest said:

I find hard to believe that if stroud is there at 3 we don’t try to make a move but then again it would be cheaper to move up to 5 to get in front of the Raiders to whatever QB is left

I'm really having major doubts about Stroud.  It is just hitting me with the Mariota vibes... Sooo much 

47 minutes ago, KingTitan said:

I'm really having major doubts about Stroud.  It is just hitting me with the Mariota vibes... Sooo much 

I mean, he's a way, way better prospect than any of the others, with the possible exception of Young.  I'm not sure why you're worried about him but OK with the others.

51 minutes ago, Daniel said:

I mean, he's a way, way better prospect than any of the others, with the possible exception of Young.  I'm not sure why you're worried about him but OK with the others.

He is the #2 QB prospect. I don't want to trade up for him tho. Don't want to trade up for any.  But be ok with Richadson and Stroud if we did trade up. 

I didn't really look at him until recently. I was just looking at some clips and taking the talking heads word. 
But really looking at him, I just don't have the strong desire to trade up for him. 
He has soooooo much around him and makes his job so easy.

Richardson is an elite athlete.

I just don't have a very strong vibe about him.  I'd be fine with him.  

Just cooling on him. 

1 minute ago, KingTitan said:

He is the #2 prospect. I don't want to trade up for him tho. Don't want to trade up for any.  But be ok with Richadson and Stroud if we did trade up. 

I didn't really look at him until recently. I was just looking at some clips and taking the talking heads word. 
But really looking at him, I just don't have the strong desire to trade up for him. 
He has soooooo much around him and makes his job so easy.

Richardson is an elite athlete.

I just don't have a very strong vibe about him.  I'd be fine with him.  

Just cooling on him. 

So did Burrow.  Burrow may have had a better group around him even.

But luckily, you can see how far Stroud is of the rest of the pack by watching him vs. Georgia, then watching every other potential first round QB against Georgia.  Bryce Young didn't play this Georgia, but he did play 2022 Georgia in the playoffs, and like Levis, Hooker, and Richardson, got rocked.

Here are the numbers for you:

Stroud: 23/34, 348 yds, 4 TDs, 0 INTs, 34 rushing, 94.1 QBR
Young (2021): 35/57, 369 yds, 1 TD, 2 INTs, -43 rushing, 82.3 QBR
Richardson: 18/37, 271 yds, 1 TD, 0 INTs, 19 rushing, 45.1 QBR
Hooker: 23/33, 195 yds, 0 TD, 1 INT, 17 rushing, 53.2 QBR
Levis: 20/31, 206, 1 TD, 1 INT, 26 rushing, 84.3 QBR

I think I am at the point where I am not feeling too crazy about any of these guys.

I am in the camp of preferring to not trade up. None of these guys get me feeling like we absolutely have to go get em.

If Richardson just straight up fell to us, I would be for it. I would prefer that, or trading back and going and getting Lance with a day 2 pick.

Edited by twotonebluenation
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, twotonebluenation said:

I think I am at the point where I am not feeling too crazy about any of these guys.

I am in the camp of preferring to not trade up. None of these guys get me feeling like we absolutely have to go get em.

If Richardson just straight up fell to us, I would be for it. I would prefer that, or trading back and going and getting Lance with a day 2 pick.

Oh yeah, I don't want to trade up for anyone, unless Stroud falls to like pick 5, but I don't see that happening.

My preference would be to trade down so we can get more receiving weapons and OLs early.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Daniel said:

So did Burrow.  Burrow may have had a better group around him even.

But luckily, you can see how far Stroud is of the rest of the pack by watching him vs. Georgia, then watching every other potential first round QB against Georgia.  Bryce Young didn't play this Georgia, but he did play 2022 Georgia in the playoffs, and like Levis, Hooker, and Richardson, got rocked.

Here are the numbers for you:

Stroud: 23/34, 348 yds, 4 TDs, 0 INTs, 34 rushing, 94.1 QBR
Young (2021): 35/57, 369 yds, 1 TD, 2 INTs, -43 rushing, 82.3 QBR
Richardson: 18/37, 271 yds, 1 TD, 0 INTs, 19 rushing, 45.1 QBR
Hooker: 23/33, 195 yds, 0 TD, 1 INT, 17 rushing, 53.2 QBR
Levis: 20/31, 206, 1 TD, 1 INT, 26 rushing, 84.3 QBR

Don't care about the numbers at his point.

Just like people don't want to overblow on season, I'm not going to overblow one game for Stroud. He looked fantastic vs Georgia. 
However, the concerns about him before that game were very loud. His ability to function under pressure is a worry. His ability to make a throw quickly, if the first read is gone is a concern. 

Burrow has a DAWG mentality. I haven't heard the same about Stroud. Maybe he does, I just haven't heard it. Hearing it would make a difference to me. 

But again, numbers mean jack to me now in college. 
Stetson Bennett threw for 4k  27/7 in the SEC. 
Austin Reed threw for  4700 and 40 TDs.
Blah.  Competition, yeah.... but still numbers mean jack. 

Mayfield threw for 4600 and 40plus TDs.
Mac Jones 4500
And so on...

So clarifying more on my point. Yeah Burrow had great weapons, same as Tua, Mac etc.  
All the QB's have some things they need to work on, hence being prospects and not finished products. 

For me, now, when I look at a QB, I move past the numbers. I am looking at:

• The absence or presence of skills.
  • Shown the ability to make all the NFL throws. 
  • The athletic ability to move around in the pocket and/or evade rushers. 
  • The football IQ to adapt to NFL concepts. 
  • Have they been asked to work through NFL concepts and if not, can they learn them. (Ability to Learn).
  • The work ethic and desire to work through and fix their negatives. (How much do they want to get better?) I call this the Vince Young impact. lol Young had all the talent but famously was not about extra work.
  • Can they physically play the game. Goes back to athletic ability some, but do they have the odds in their favor body wise to be a good pro. Yes there are Brees, Fluite, Wilson, Murray that have done well being shorter guys. So many guys are just so great in college, but NFL not so much. Just trying to project that as well. 
  • Last on my list and it's whatever but can they lead. Do they infect others to the point where they want to be great too. 

I might have left something off, but those are the things that come to mind for me when I want to look at a QB. Your list may look a lot different, but that is what I'm judging in this era of spread and QB factories.  So few are asked to read defenses or rarely need too. All of them are so cookie cutter. I personally think the days of needing to have a great resume in college are over. Tools, skills, ability and work ethic will get you drafted highly just the same. 

2 minutes ago, Daniel said:

Oh yeah, I don't want to trade up for anyone, unless Stroud falls to like pick 5, but I don't see that happening.

My preference would be to trade down so we can get more receiving weapons and OLs early.

Yeah my desire to go up and get anyone is gone. 
I will accept if they do. I just wouldn't.

Trade down is my preference. 
I believe they will do the same. Roll with Tanney and Willis maybe a vet or UDFA at QB to challenge for back up.