2023 Season Plan

KingTitan

16 minutes ago, deeluxx3 said:

After watching Malik briefly, idk if there’s any team that could develop him. Some guys just don’t belong, he doesn’t seem like he belongs. 

Oh yeah, I’m not sure there was a situation where he was going to become a starting caliber QB, but walking into a Todd Downing led offense with no receivers or an offensive line and being asked to play in Year 1 pretty much guaranteed the worst-case results.

3 minutes ago, titans0021 said:

Oh yeah, I’m not sure there was a situation where he was going to become a starting caliber QB, but walking into a Todd Downing led offense with no receivers or an offensive line and being asked to play in Year 1 pretty much guaranteed the worst-case results.

As true as everything you said, I have to say if it's true that he had to be told the play even as late as the 2nd Texans game, then that's a problem.

Even having to be told where to throw the ball or the play the 1st Texans game is an issue. That's more than not knowing how to read a defense, or having the right footwork. 
That's a player not capable of learning or willing to learn even a basic level gameplan.

I'm sorry if a guy can come in with about 2-3 days of learning a playbook and look almost better than your starter did, you have issues. 

I am optimistic about our staff now. London and a more involved Tim Kelly.  Tim Kelly in particular, his offenses have helped QB's when he was with the Texans.

11 minutes ago, KingTitan said:

That quote is what i was talking about. 
Believing in the ability to hit on late or UDFA's will ease his mind about trading up.

From a distance, it seems like R5-7 is where SF front office earns their paychecks 

52 minutes ago, KingTitan said:

As true as everything you said, I have to say if it's true that he had to be told the play even as late as the 2nd Texans game, then that's a problem.

Even having to be told where to throw the ball or the play the 1st Texans game is an issue. That's more than not knowing how to read a defense, or having the right footwork. 
That's a player not capable of learning or willing to learn even a basic level gameplan.

I'm sorry if a guy can come in with about 2-3 days of learning a playbook and look almost better than your starter did, you have issues. 

I am optimistic about our staff now. London and a more involved Tim Kelly.  Tim Kelly in particular, his offenses have helped QB's when he was with the Texans.

I’m not completely going to buy into the having to be told where to throw the ball based on a line from a local sports talk host.

Mostly because, if that’s true, it would’ve been completely clear in practice that he knows nothing in the playbook and the fact that we left him as QB2 almost the entire season would’ve been complete malpractice by the staff and FO.

3 minutes ago, titans0021 said:

I’m not completely going to buy into the having to be told where to throw the ball based on a line from a local sports talk host.

Mostly because, if that’s true, it would’ve been completely clear in practice that he knows nothing in the playbook and the fact that we left him as QB2 almost the entire season would’ve been complete malpractice by the staff and FO.

Ramon Foster said it, if that makes a difference. He isn't one to just spout off stuff. 
But here is my thinking. 
They spent an 3rd on him.  In preseason, we could see that he wasn't really throwing the ball like he should. Got Benched once for running too much.

I think they figured Ryan never gets hurt and we will take a gamble on him improving some throughout the season. Couldn't just cut him because someone else would have picked him up and that would have been an even bigger waste of a pick.  couldn't keep woodside because they needed the roster spot and money. 

I believe it, just because my eyes said the same when watching him. I can believe that he had no ideas where to go with the ball. 

3 hours ago, deeluxx3 said:

They probably have.

As much as I tried to be optimistic and think “he needs time, he has no help”…he looked awful last year. 

my thought process is prob like everyone else’s … if we have a chance at drafting a qb we like this year, do it and never look back. Malik’s time is done. 

if not, we have to roll with Tanny and maybe malik improves and gets another chance to prove himself. 

If we get a chance to land Stroud, I'm with you.

What I worry about is a staff giving up this quickly on a raw QB, only to draft another raw QB the next year.  It doesn't bode well for what the staff is about philosophically.

You don't have to "lose faith" in a third round pick to get a better player.  So making a judgment call on a player, at this point, is worrying to me either way.

If it's where they are, I'm hoping that it's because Malik was all JRob and the coaching staff never wanted him in the first place, because at least then, maybe we won't end up in the exact same situation if they draft one of these project QBs.

• Like 1

Just now, Daniel said:

If we get a chance to land Stroud, I'm with you.

What I worry about is a staff giving up this quickly on a raw QB, only to draft another raw QB the next year.  It doesn't bode well for what the staff is about philosophically.

You don't have to "lose faith" in a third round pick to get a better player.  So making a judgment call on a player, at this point, is worrying to me either way.

If it's where they are, I'm hoping that it's because Malik was all JRob and the coaching staff never wanted him in the first place, because at least then, maybe we won't end up in the exact same situation if they draft one of these project QBs.

I think the difference will be level of comp and amount invested. 
Naturally, if you draft a  QB in the 1st you believe in him, especially if you traded up for him. So you are going to put more into him being successful.
You don't build around your 3rd rounder that has shown no progress and gave you doubts all through the year. 

Hurts gave the Eagles reason to believe and they invested in him. 

Willis gave them reason to not believe and I don't blame them for wanting to be done with it. They aren't going to allow him to hinder them from making any moves. Especially if Stroud is there or even the othe guys who need work, but in my opinion have more to work with to start.

Just looking back, I don't think there has been a QB after round 2 that has held a starting job for any significant time period in the last 10 years except Dak. 

Players having a year to prove themselves is not abnormal. Dobbs was cut from Pitt after one year. 

Unless you show you can handle being an NFL QB very quickly and handle back up duties they will move on quickly. 

15 minutes ago, KingTitan said:

Fair question to the GM that was fired. What was his plan?  

He drafted a couple QBs randomly with no real plan it seemed.  

And that's why I said that I would hope it was all on him.  Seems unlikely though that Vrabel or his offensive staff would have no say or no opinion about the QBs drafted though, and if that's the case, it doesn't bode well for taking another project QB, because they'll again have unrealistic expectations.

yeah, barring an isaiah wilson situation you don't draft a QB like malik willis and then throw in the towel on him after 5 games in the worst situation imaginable. i don't care how bad he looked; it's incredible mismanagement. it's convenient for us to pin all the blame on robinson because he's gone, but there's no way robinson was unilaterally drafting a QB. this staff has just blown it with him, and it does not inspire confidence for any project QBs in the future. call it what it is.

4 hours ago, KingTitan said:

That quote is what i was talking about. 
Believing in the ability to hit on late or UDFA's will ease his mind about trading up.

Contradiction didn’t the 49ers traded up to get Trey Lance 🤔 read between the lines if a guy your guy you go get him though 👍🏽