2023 Season Plan

KingTitan

I know I’m preaching to the choir, but idk how anyone … even a big ego guy like Vrabel … can objectively sit back and evaluate this offense and not realize it’s requiring a complete and utter revamp this offseason 

you can be a team that wants to lean on the run and still be successful on offense. But not with this coach and not with these players. Drastic changes need to happen

Edited by deeluxx3
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, deeluxx3 said:

I know I’m preaching to the choir, but idk how anyone … even a big ego guy like Vrabel … can objectively sit back and evaluate this offense and not realize it’s requiring a complete and utter revamp this offseason 

you can be a team that wants to lean on the run and still be successful on offense. But not with this coach and not with these players. Drastic changes need to happen

I'm actually afraid. 
Hire a new GM. ok That's gonna be a given.
New OC? I don't know.

But if he looks at this team and says, we don't need at least 2 more NFL starting caliber WRs, 2 maybe 3 OL. 
If we come out this off-season with just a mid- WR FA and an 3rd round WR I'm going to lose it.

Even looking at the Commanders. They have 3 legit WRs, maybe 4. 

5 minutes ago, deeluxx3 said:

He has to know. If he doesn't. He isn't the coach I think he is.

We need a total offensive rehaul.

Talent. Starting with the o line. Then depth with pass catchers. Fielding what we are just can't be what it is. A future plan with the QB.

A new thought process on using our playmakers.

New minds that connect the dots with those thought processes with our playmakers.

My worry is it is just not fully accomplishable in one off-season.

2 minutes ago, KingTitan said:

I'm actually afraid. 
Hire a new GM. ok That's gonna be a given.
New OC? I don't know.

But if he looks at this team and says, we don't need at least 2 more NFL starting caliber WRs, 2 maybe 3 OL. 
If we come out this off-season with just a mid- WR FA and an 3rd round WR I'm going to lose it.

Even looking at the Commanders. They have 3 legit WRs, maybe 4. 

I’m a bit nervous about how it’s all gonna go down

the WR room needs to be totally revamped. Don’t even care if it’s not flashy names. Just need dudes who freaking belong. Not CJ Board or Mason Kinsey or Chris Conley. This is a horrific WR room. 

I wonder if Amy will meddle or get involved. I mean, “brass” can’t be blind to this 

44 minutes ago, deeluxx3 said:

I’m a bit nervous about how it’s all gonna go down

the WR room needs to be totally revamped. Don’t even care if it’s not flashy names. Just need dudes who freaking belong. Not CJ Board or Mason Kinsey or Chris Conley. This is a horrific WR room. 

I wonder if Amy will meddle or get involved. I mean, “brass” can’t be blind to this 

if amy needs to get involved because vrabel refuses to fix a problem anybody with eyes and a pulse can see, she just needs to fire him.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, twotonebluenation said:

My worry is it is just not fully accomplishable in one off-season.

Agreed.  Assuming we do the cuts and re-signings that are pretty obvious, we'll have the money to bring in some new blood at WR.  I think trying to bring in one big signing to be a Number 2 would honestly be a mistake.

1 hour ago, deeluxx3 said:

This is what I'd prefer.  The way we injure ourselves, depth is gonna be THE most important thing at every position.  Can't sign big names, because they'll just miss time, but every guy all the way down the roster needs to be able to contribute.  Bring in a couple of dudes that are solid, situational contributors, and spend a draft pick, then keep Burks, Phillips, and maybe Racey around from the current crop.  Maybe NWI if he's really cheap.  But he should kind of be our floor quality player.

I think they'd also be crazy not to grab a TE in the draft too.

Hell, we may not be able to afford spending any picks on defense.

We need a starting OT, at least a future starting OL, a No. 2/3 receiver, and a future starting TE from this draft.  Throw in a late pick at RB, and you might be able to draft a depth dude at DL or LB, but not much else.

WR is very much a both/and situation. yes, we need way better guys there. but we also need a playcaller who has the faintest idea of what to do with them. like even as good as treylon's been when he's on the field, our lack of creativity with him is just astonishing. this is a guy arkansas had playing all over the field, getting the ball in his hands in a million different ways, and literally the only thing we can figure out how to do with him is chuck it to him deep.

Edited by -Hope-
  • Like 3

18 minutes ago, -Hope- said:

WR is very much a both/and situation. yes, we need way better guys there. but we also need a playcaller who has the faintest idea of what to do with them. like even as good as treylon's been when he's on the field, our lack of creativity with him is just astonishing. this is a guy arkansas had playing all over the field, getting the ball in his hands in a million different ways, and literally the only thing we can figure out how to do with him is chuck it to him deep.

I think our talent deficit looks a lot less dire with even a mediocre play caller.

Like, we still need a lot of help at WR and OL especially, but I would bet a lot of money it would look more like "we need upgrades" than "holy crap why are those guys paid to play this sport" without Downing.

I really can't understand him keeping his job through the week.  Kelly is a potential replacement, and they'd be wise to give him the keys for a few games to see if he can do the job well enough to just promote from within.

And then throw money at Notre Dame's OL coach.

It's tough too when Vrabel is making it work with any cb off the street but we had our gm taking Roger McCreary in the second.

It's especially tough when you look at someone like George Pickens who was taken a few picks later. Idk. It just makes no sense.

It's like we knew our offense was regressing but we had no urgency to stockpile talent. Especially after we gave away such a substantial piece of it. 

Please just let us lean into the offense this off season and draft.

Please let Willis take some leaps. 

My offseason plan is clearer by the day. Fire Downing. Fire Carter. Hire somebody with no affiliation to the current staff (it’s a shame that this means I’m not even giving Kelly consideration, but if we’ve decided that it’s not even worth giving him a trial run, then that tells me what I need to know).

Spend nearly every free agent dollar you can muster on the OL. Not a single position is safe. Not NPF, not Nate if he’s demanding to eat up a significant chunk of the budget and not Ben (Ben is the least likely to leave because Vrabel is in love with him in a way that is only matched by his love for Derrick.

Get at least two depth receivers in FA. If Hooper wants to come back at an even lower number, I’ll take him back.

First and second are WR and OT in some order. I will not accept anything other than those two positions with our first two picks.

• Like 4

And, finally, I expect Tannehill to be back next year. If anything, I’m imagining this year has only dramatically increased Vrabel’s respect for him and if he thinks we can compete with a combination outside addition and youth movement on offense, he’s going to want a capable vet leading the way.

I’m fine moving on from Ryan at this point, there’s an argument it could be best for both parties, but more I think, more likely I think he gets a small extension or a void year or two to lighten the ‘23 cap hit. Thought being if you push dead cap to 2024 or 2025 that’s likely more manageable given you’ll probably have a QB on a rookie deal.

So... If Vrabel refuses to fire Downing this offseason is he still safe? 

It's insane to think about our head coach getting fired after just winning coach of the year, but damn this is all starting to feel eerily similar to the Mularkey-Robiskie situation. It's crystal clear that a change at OC needs to be made, and the head coach refuses to do it.

It's been crystal clear that a change needed to be made at LT to replace Daley for months, and Vrabel has refused to do it until FINALLY today he tries to "split" reps in this game with the guy that should've been our backup LT from day one. Our QB is playing his heart out and continuously getting put in harm's way because we have a guy out there playing LT that shouldn't even be on the 53. 

How much of a sample size does a head coach need to see of the same thing over and over and over again before he makes a change? 

There's a lot of things that need to be fixed with this team, but at a certain point the head coach's refusal to make obvious changes to this offense when changes needed to be made is just as big of a reason for this season's demise as the overall lack of talent on the roster that ultimately falls on JRob. Even though Vrabel was just as big a part of the roster building as JRob was. Unless they weren't really working together on the roster construction, and that was all just lip service.

Vrabel needs to be held accountable for this just as much as everyone else in the organization if not more so simply for the fact that he had the power to make changes when changes needed to be made and he didn't do it. 

• Like 2