Panthers waive QB Baker Mayfield; claimed by Rams

Daboyle

I always felt like Mayfield got a bit more praise than he deserved (mostly referring to his first few years in the league).  He never looked the part to me.  

But DAMN he looked so much worse here than even I thought.  I viewed him as an average QB.  But here, he didn't even look like he should be one of 32 starting QBs.   I never saw the arm strength that was supposed to be one of his best attributes.  He's far less accurate than even Sam Darnold.  Mechanically he's broken.  What happened, Browns fans?  Was he always this bad and the Browns covered it up as long as they could?  Or did the injury really kill it for him?  

I'm not sure what's next for him.  I'm sure a team will sign him, but to start again?  Ehhh.

I will say this about Baker.  Everyone will slander his character but he never complained here.  He took his benching well, by all accounts was very good to PJ, and on the sidelines you could tell he was a great teammate.  Was always writing stuff down and really would look genuinely happy and excited when the team was doing well.  I don't know what happened in the locker-room with the Browns but here, he seemed like a great guy to have and far removed from whatever "immaturity" issues plagued him in Cleveland.  I could see something like this being the wake-up call he needs to be a better leader and keep putting the work in to hopefully get a starting job down the road.  

• Like 4

Clearly not a financial decision. They only pay like 4 million of Baker's salary. I almost would have expected them to do this with Darnold just to see if they could get away from the 6 million or whatever they have left to pay him because the niners are desperate 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, iknowcool said:

I suppose the Niners have nothing to lose, but I don't see what Mayfield brings to the table.  He really is terrible.  

At this point, he basically just gives them a stronger backup QB option. As said in the 49ers forum by 757, it woudl still be Purdy's team. 

The niners would then have a few weeks to see if Purdy falls on his face and if they need to make a change heading into the playoffs (given the NFC playoff picture, I think that they only need to win 2 out of the last 5 to lock up a spot, and they could potentially do it winning only one of the next 5) 

12 minutes ago, iknowcool said:

I always felt like Mayfield got a bit more praise than he deserved (mostly referring to his first few years in the league).  He never looked the part to me.  

But DAMN he looked so much worse here than even I thought.  I viewed him as an average QB.  But here, he didn't even look like he should be one of 32 starting QBs.   I never saw the arm strength that was supposed to be one of his best attributes.  He's far less accurate than even Sam Darnold.  Mechanically he's broken.  What happened, Browns fans?  Was he always this bad and the Browns covered it up as long as they could?  Or did the injury really kill it for him?  

I'm not sure what's next for him.  I'm sure a team will sign him, but to start again?  Ehhh. 

I could switch around a few of the words here and the high praise thing and use this post in reference to what I thought of Trubisky in Pitt. 

18 minutes ago, iknowcool said:

I will say this about Baker.  Everyone will slander his character but he never complained here.  He took his benching well, by all accounts was very good to PJ, and on the sidelines you could tell he was a great teammate.  Was always writing stuff down and really would look genuinely happy and excited when the team was doing well.  I don't know what happened in the locker-room with the Browns but here, he seemed like a great guy to have and far removed from whatever "immaturity" issues plagued him in Cleveland.  I could see something like this being the wake-up call he needs to be a better leader and keep putting the work in to hopefully get a starting job down the road.  

More than any other year I think this year proved situation is so much more important in QB development and outcome. Wilson tanking in Denver, Geno becoming a stud in Seattle, Lawrence showing improvement without Urban, the Jets still not being able to develop a QB, Baker looking a million times worse in Carolina

Edited by lancerman
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

Rams should pick him up. I think he's a guy we try to bring in this offseason anyways. Can get him started on learning the playbook.

EDIT: If he clears waivers.

If a team brings him in on waivers, they'd only be on the hook for about 1.3 mil for the rest of the year. The Rams are high enough in the waiver claim that they could get him for cheap if they want. Plus they could keep him away from the 49ers.