2022 GDT 5-7 Steelers host the 8-4 Ravens

Steeler Hitman

Pittsburgh media is already pissing me off this morning. 

This loss is 100% on Mitch Trubisky. 

Mark Madden - It’s the defense, $108 mil doesn’t buy a stop. 
Colin Dunlap - What’s Tomlin done in his career, nothing. 
Poni - Najee Harris couldn’t get yards when they needed them. 

I beg of the entities that employ these brain dead clickbait trillion slobs - fire them. Run them out of town. Your own team owners of the major sports do not like them. Barely any of our local reporters get access the way other local guys like this do. It’s pathetic. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, warfelg said:

This loss is 100% on Mitch Trubisky.  - - Facts! I think Mitch would even say that himself.  He did not play the type of game that he wanted to.  He played without looking over his shoulder, but made some poor reads and decisions. QB's and team captains take ownership and responsibility.  he was a hero in the Bucs game and unfortunately the goat (and not TB12 GOAT) of this game. 

Mark Madden - It’s the defense, $108 mil doesn’t buy a stop.  - - Steelers and Tomlin pot stirring type of  comments.  The Ravens had already ran for over 200 yards. They couldn't stop them from running earlier and they weren't going to stop them there. Simply put: The run defense couldn't stop them all day. It wasn't because they paid to sign Suh or any other great run stuffing DL's. TJ Watt is still hurt and trying to play at probably 70% of what he was last year. You don't want your high priced safety making all of the tackles (Minkah). Maybe they listen and change philosophy a bit and get some beef in the middle of the defense and a good ILB to team with Myles Jack. 
Colin Dunlap - What’s Tomlin done in his career, nothing. - - I get people being disappointed in Coach T. His failures or short comings this year don't erase his accomplishments either. The Steelers have a tradition of being stubborn at times. This has cost them. They eventually get it right.  Coach T needs to change from the Big Ben free wheeling style to what the Steelers were in 2005 with a young Big Ben.  Upgrade the OL and DL, get a #1 CB, and a #1ILB. Within two years they will look strikingly similar to the Eagles.  

Poni - Najee Harris couldn’t get yards when they needed them. - - When you don't have great blocking, you don't get yards. Najee, Bennie, and Jalen all struggled running against a tough and physical style team. Jim Brown, Barry Sanders, or any other great back couldn't get yards with some of the blocking that they received. 

I beg of the entities that employ these brain dead clickbait trillion slobs - fire them. Run them out of town. Your own team owners of the major sports do not like them. Barely any of our local reporters get access the way other local guys like this do. It’s pathetic. 

Well said, and I couldn't agree more.  It isn't that they have a different opinion which I would greatly respect, it appears that they just say things to get fans and other media riled up. That is not journalism in my humble opinion. 

I really question whether they actually believe that or is it a way to create drama and more importantly reads (clicks). If that is the case, therein lies the problem.    

13 minutes ago, Steeler Hitman said:

I get people being disappointed in Coach T. His failures or short comings this year don't erase his accomplishments either. The Steelers have a tradition of being stubborn at times. This has cost them. They eventually get it right.  Coach T needs to change from the Big Ben free wheeling style to what the Steelers were in 2005 with a young Big Ben.  Upgrade the OL and DL, get a #1 CB, and a #1ILB. Within two years they will look strikingly similar to the Eagles.  

Just to run with this part for a minute — So much is put on Tomlin when it doesn’t need to be.  I know Tomlin makes himself an “easy target” because (previously) Colbert, AR2, Hunt didn’t get in front of the media a lot to face the tough questions like the talent level of the team and why we struggle excessively with backups.  That always ends up on Tomlin’s shoulders.

It drives this perception that Tomlin is the Steelers and the Steelers are Tomlin.  But there’s much more cooperation going on that most of us thing or assume.  

So in a game like yesterday, where you don’t have the talent for some of these bad plays (no nose tackle, two BUCKs and no MACK, no CB1, bad OL), everyone wants to easily blame the coaching for not having the players ready.  But coaching can only do so much.  When Alualu is constantly getting blown off the ball by someone 50 pounds lighter, Adams has no idea how to use his hands, Leal is constantly taking the wrong gap….I’m not sure what more your coaching can do.  Hell even Cam Hayward admitted to taking a wrong game a few times yesterday. Like you pointed out, Watt is maybe at 70%.  At some point no level of coaching in the world can overcome things like that.

For as much as fans said ahead of time that this was going to take 2-3 years to rebuild everything, it seems to be the media that’s having the biggest issues with accepting that.  Hell they are struggling that being in the playoff picture to start yesterday means this team likely beat expectations at this point of the season, and are using it as a “gotcha” over them being right about this team.

EDIT: Almost like clockwork as I hit send on this post, Colin Dunlap tweets:

I can’t believe the amount of Steelers fans who think its OK to be average.

Edited by warfelg

As soon as Kenny went out this game was pretty worthless to me. I wanted to see him against a grown man defense in a close game. Especially against a D that would stop the run first and foremost. 

** Wasn't done with this post when it submitted. I'll finish later. 

Edited by Dcash4
  • Like 1

Just now, Dcash4 said:

As soon as Kenny went out this game was pretty worthless to me. I wanted to see him against a grown man defense in a close game. Especially against a D that would stop the run first and foremost. 

Sad thing is the air game worked.  Marlon Humphrey made a comment that Pickens had his number all day.  Kinda disappointing to hear that and then he gets 3 targets all game.  Mostly because according to a CB they never get beat.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, warfelg said:

This loss is 100% on Mitch Trubisky. 

Mark Madden - It’s the defense, $108 mil doesn’t buy a stop. 
Colin Dunlap - What’s Tomlin done in his career, nothing. 
Poni - Najee Harris couldn’t get yards when they needed them. 

I’ve had Madden and Poni muted for months, I highly recommend it.

1 hour ago, warfelg said:

Just to run with this part for a minute — So much is put on Tomlin when it doesn’t need to be.  I know Tomlin makes himself an “easy target” because (previously) Colbert, AR2, Hunt didn’t get in front of the media a lot to face the tough questions like the talent level of the team and why we struggle excessively with backups.  That always ends up on Tomlin’s shoulders.

I agree with you here. However, I have a high expectation of Coach T. my disappointment is not because I think that he is failing. I think he has fallen into the "stubborn" mindset at times with changing.  Philosophies can differ. If it works great, but when he fail, there will be disappointment.   The OL changed nicely with Pouncey, DeCastro, Foster, Big Al, and Gilbert (when healthy).  However, as Ben aged, Bell left, and AB imploded, the team did not transition in the trenches and they did not give themselves a fair opportunity to become a champion in my humble opinion.  They stopped playing Steelers football and others became comfortable calling this football team "soft."  Steelers and soft are not two words that any of us were used to ever hearing. Even when this team was bad 60 years ago, people always said the Steelers were a tough and physical team. 

It is changing from a pass happy offense to a "Browns, 49'ers, Ravens, Eagles type of OL and team.  That is who were where and what made us successful.  The Steelers could always stop the run and run the ball on you. That's just something that I wish Coach T and the team would have responded 

It drives this perception that Tomlin is the Steelers and the Steelers are Tomlin.  But there’s much more cooperation going on that most of us thing or assume.  

Valid points. I realize that as well, but like being a QB, you sometimes get more credit than you deserve and more blame than you deserve.

I hear people say that Big Ben carried Coach T. I also say that if that argument' is true, then Big Ben  didn't carry the Steeles because the last SB appearance was in 2010. They say, "That wasn't Big Ben's fault, it was Coach T's." I get what you are saying and agree.  My problem is more changing and growing from year to year as needed. You have to be willing to change to be successful.  

So in a game like yesterday, where you don’t have the talent for some of these bad plays (no nose tackle, two BUCKs and no MACK, no CB1, bad OL), everyone wants to easily blame the coaching for not having the players ready.  

That is not coaching, but the coaching philosophy. I have been pounding the table for a NG or huge DT and many have argued that we don't need one. "They don't play enough. we are in Nickel most of the time anyway." That is the philosophy that I speak of. You can't d everything at once and picking in the 20's or early 30's don't land you the Sauce Gardner type of CB's. 

But coaching can only do so much.  When Alualu is constantly getting blown off the ball by someone 50 pounds lighter, Adams has no idea how to use his hands, Leal is constantly taking the wrong gap….I’m not sure what more your coaching can do.  

Tyson is not who he once was. Nothing can be done there. Keep him or replace him. Adams and Leal's issues are coaching. That is technique and discipline.  No different than trying to teach your ends not to allow anyone to get outside of you and they crash the line and a QB, RB, or receiver on the Jet sweep (oh, I forgot only we run 10 Jet Sweeps a Game).    😜  Improving players/talent is a constant. 

Hell even Cam Hayward admitted to taking a wrong game a few times yesterday. Like you pointed out, Watt is maybe at 70%.  At some point no level of coaching in the world can overcome things like that.

I don't blame coaching on physical or lack or personnel. I blame coaching on throwing deep passes to a 6' smallish WR, when you have a 6'3 guy who specializes in it and is screaming to make plays. 

For as much as fans said ahead of time that this was going to take 2-3 years to rebuild everything, it seems to be the media that’s having the biggest issues with accepting that.  Hell they are struggling that being in the playoff picture to start yesterday means this team likely beat expectations at this point of the season, and are using it as a “gotcha” over them being right about this team.

I certainly am not doing that or bashing Coach T.  I like Coach T, but I am disappointed in some of the decisions.  I would not have played Pickett when they did.  That is a whole other long post that I could go into, but you are setting players up for failure when you throw them into the line of fire without weapons and tools to be successful.

EDIT: Almost like clockwork as I hit send on this post, Colin Dunlap tweets:

1 minute ago, Steeler Hitman said:

I agree with you here. However, I have a high expectation of Coach T. my disappointment is not because I think that he is failing. I think he has fallen into the "stubborn" mindset at times with changing.  Philosophies can differ. If it works great, but when he fail, there will be disappointment.   The OL changed nicely with Pouncey, DeCastro, Foster, Big Al, and Gilbert (when healthy).  However, as Ben aged, Bell left, and AB imploded, the team did not transition in the trenches and they did not give themselves a fair opportunity to become a champion in my humble opinion.  They stopped playing Steelers football and others became comfortable calling this football team "soft."  Steelers and soft are not two words that any of us were used to ever hearing. Even when this team was bad 60 years ago, people always said the Steelers were a tough and physical team. 

It is changing from a pass happy offense to a "Browns, 49'ers, Ravens, Eagles type of OL and team.  That is who were where and what made us successful.  The Steelers could always stop the run and run the ball on you. That's just something that I wish Coach T and the team would have responded 

I kinda disagree with this assessment, especially Tomlin being stubborn.  IMO I think he’s been ‘ahead’ of the curve on where the league is going each time, the issue has been a disconnect between him and assistants and him and the FO.

Just take the “did not transition in the trenches” part.  How is that solely on Tomlin?  That more on the FO for refusing to spend a high pick on that area or spend more than they did.

4 minutes ago, Steeler Hitman said:

I hear people say that Big Ben carried Coach T. I also say that if that argument' is true, then Big Ben  didn't carry the Steeles because the last SB appearance was in 2010. They say, "That wasn't Big Ben's fault, it was Coach T's." I get what you are saying and agree.  My problem is more changing and growing from year to year as needed. You have to be willing to change to be successful.  

Again, I go to another area here.  The spending has seen wild swings.  With Ben, AB, Bell, DDC, Pouncey….all the spending was on offense.  Continually signing TE’s to fill the gap.  Spending huge dollars on OL.  Using high picks on WR2.  And the picks put into defense were likely busts quite often.  Outside of the year before Shazier got hurt, the defense in the Killer B’s era was terrible.  Now we’ve swung the other way and we spend a bunch on the defense while getting away on the cheap offensively.

6 minutes ago, Steeler Hitman said:

That is not coaching, but the coaching philosophy. I have been pounding the table for a NG or huge DT and many have argued that we don't need one. "They don't play enough. we are in Nickel most of the time anyway." That is the philosophy that I speak of. You can't d everything at once and picking in the 20's or early 30's don't land you the Sauce Gardner type of CB's. 

It’s not entirely coaching philosophy.  The push back to NT hasn’t been we don’t need one, it’s spending a high pick on a 40% of snaps player isn’t worth it.  Also, the not picking a top corner in the 20’s and 30’s isn’t a great argument.  The following CB’s could have easily been picked by us but we passed on (and who we passed on for):

2020 - Chase Claypool, could have had Trevon Diggs

2019 - Moved up for Devin Bush, but Byron Murphy, Sean Murphy-Bunting could have been had.

2017 - We took Artie Burns after WJIII went in front of us, Xavier Howard was the next CB off the board.  Sean Davis in the second with Cyrus Jones, Vonn Bell, James Bradberry, Kevin Byard the next 4 DB’s off the board.

Basically long story short - you can find good CBs/Ss later on if you don’t let skill coaches have too much input.

17 minutes ago, Steeler Hitman said:

Tyson is not who he once was. Nothing can be done there. Keep him or replace him. Adams and Leal's issues are coaching. That is technique and discipline.  No different than trying to teach your ends not to allow anyone to get outside of you and they crash the line and a QB, RB, or receiver on the Jet sweep (oh, I forgot only we run 10 Jet Sweeps a Game).    😜  Improving players/talent is a constant. 

Adams has been here 3 years. If coaching hasn’t taken that’s not on coaching.

18 minutes ago, Steeler Hitman said:

I don't blame coaching on physical or lack or personnel. I blame coaching on throwing deep passes to a 6' smallish WR, when you have a 6'3 guy who specializes in it and is screaming to make plays. 

What? I blame the QB who made his read presnap, stuck with his read presnap, and didn’t move the S off his spot post snap.  None of that is coaching.

• Like 1

They need to change their philosophy on their front 7.  They need to get DTs with some sand in their pants to play 2 gap in the middle.  Even if they get one for 4 years then get another.  They are basically playing a 4-3 alignment now with the OLBs having their hands on the ground a lot of the time. 

Otherwise, they need to improve their Cbs and play with 3 Dlinemen.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, warfelg said:

I kinda disagree with this assessment, especially Tomlin being stubborn.  IMO I think he’s been ‘ahead’ of the curve on where the league is going each time, the issue has been a disconnect between him and assistants and him and the FO.

In many regards he is ahead of the curve, but in some others, he is sticking to his guns, even when they are not working from year to year. He is the HC and a darn good one at that.  Any leader will tell you that falls on their shoulders. I accepted that he had to inherit a lot of Coach Cowher and DC LeBeau's philosophies early on. I love Coach T, but I have some constructive criticism that he has been given a pass on before. 

Disconnect between him and assistants is on him. He is hiring and firing them. Maybe Mr. Rooney made him do some things that he may not have wanted (Firing BA), but a lot of the personnel decisions were a collaboration between he and Mr. Colbert.  They did some good things and bad. When you are HC, you own  what happens on your watch good and bad.

Just take the “did not transition in the trenches” part.  How is that solely on Tomlin?  That more on the FO for refusing to spend a high pick on that area or spend more than they did.

It is not solely on him the front office has to take a bite of that turd sandwich as well. However, Mike Tomlin is the  HC.  You have an aging QB who can't move anymore. You have an OL who is getting long in the tooth and the days of dominating at run blocking left with Lev Bell.  The Ravens were running the ball down their throats year in and year out despite winning the past two seasons. With Ben not being able to move as he once did, no Pouncey pr Big Al (and both were trending down in their play consistency), you draft a franchise RB, but do not sign or draft mauling types of  OL to support the team. They got James Daniels who fits that bill and is doing well. They need more of those types of players. 

The draft is an art and not a science, for as much as we have perfect vision after a prospect succeeds or fails, no one can predict what rookies will do (as much as we think we know. I think they take Landon Dickerson round one if his knees are good.  A Center  is typically good for 10-12 years and a RB five. However, here's the philosophy, they take Green over Quinn Meinerz. What was said was ability to be like a poor man's Pouncey. We get more guys who have the James Daniels type of skillset, and the run game will get better.  That is the philosophy I have been speaking of. We don't have Bell and AB, so you have to adapt and change.  That is the part I view as stubborn in sticking to what worked before, but you don't have the same players. Connor and Najee are not the same type of runners as Bell. 

Again, I go to another area here.  The spending has seen wild swings.  With Ben, AB, Bell, DDC, Pouncey….all the spending was on offense.  Continually signing TE’s to fill the gap.  Spending huge dollars on OL.  Using high picks on WR2.  And the picks put into defense were likely busts quite often.  Outside of the year before Shazier got hurt, the defense in the Killer B’s era was terrible.  Now we’ve swung the other way and we spend a bunch on the defense while getting away on the cheap offensively.

I am not criticizing for spending on defense. We learned the hard way defense or lack thereof wins and loses championships or in our case (play-off games).  The spending isn't bad, who and how can be tweaked. Get a NG or run stuffing DT. Suh type of guys would help. Ogunjobi was a great signing considering they lost Tuitt.  No criticism of Coach T or Steelers for spending on defense. I just want them to continue to get bigger, more physical, and tougher up front.

It’s not entirely coaching philosophy.  The push back to NT hasn’t been we don’t need one, it’s spending a high pick on a 40% of snaps player isn’t worth it.

Ravens ran for over 200 on us. The Browns, Jets, and Patriots ran the ball down the Steelers throats and they couldn't stop it and knew it was coming late in the fourth quarter when the Steelers needed stops to give the ball back to the offense. No Tom Brady or Patrick Mahomes lighting them up via the pass, just smash mouth football. Sorry buddy I disagreed then and I do now, it seems worth it to me. We can talk percentages as we lost 100% of those games because we had no beef up front. For the record, they didn't take a NT the 6th or 7th rounds either. Having tools in your belt is worth it. 

Also, the not picking a top corner in the 20’s and 30’s isn’t a great argument.  The following CB’s could have easily been picked by us but we passed on (and who we passed on for):

2020 - Chase Claypool, could have had Trevon Diggs

2019 - Moved up for Devin Bush, but Byron Murphy, Sean Murphy-Bunting could have been had.

2017 - We took Artie Burns after WJIII went in front of us, Xavier Howard was the next CB off the board.  Sean Davis in the second with Cyrus Jones, Vonn Bell, James Bradberry, Kevin Byard the next 4 DB’s off the board.

Basically long story short - you can find good CBs/Ss later on if you don’t let skill coaches have too much input.

Adams has been here 3 years.

That is part of the post draft perfect vision I spoke of earlier. TJ Watt doesn't get drafted as late as he does, if 29 other teams knew what the Steelers did.

If coaching hasn’t taken that’s not on coaching.

You have poor talent or poor coaching. Either way, it falls on the leader.  You can't just be a leader when it is good. 

What? I blame the QB who made his read presnap, stuck with his read presnap, and didn’t move the S off his spot post snap.  None of that is coaching.

We 100% agree on that one together! Amen!!!

maxresdefault.jpg

4 minutes ago, Steeler Hitman said:

You have poor talent or poor coaching. Either way, it falls on the leader.  You can't just be a leader when it is good. 

I kinda pose it like this, because it’s the easiest way:

If I tell you exit 10 every day for a week before you come to visit, and you take exit 8, is that my fault? That’s what I feel like is going on right here. Tomlin can’t go out there and push someone in the right lane is they aren’t there. 

I honestly think that’s where Tomlin is at with some guys. Look at Leal, Adams, Wormley, Loudermilk constantly taking wrong leverage. At this point of the season this ain’t coaching. Especially when your defensive leaders (Heyward, Jack, Fitzpatrick) are calling out guys being in the wrong gaps. That means the right gaps are being coached. 

41 minutes ago, warfelg said:

I kinda pose it like this, because it’s the easiest way:

If I tell you exit 10 every day for a week before you come to visit, and you take exit 8, is that my fault?

No, but if you needed me to be there and I was late, cost $$$, or business, etc. I would be fired. I am sorry, should be fired. I chose not to listen. You as the manager/owner would have a choice to make:

1 continue to allow me to cost you $$$, business, etc. 

2. Get someone who will follow instructions and takes the business seriously.

You keep me, then you are accepting of my failures and shortcomings. 

That’s what I feel like is going on right here. Tomlin can’t go out there and push someone in the right lane is they aren’t there. 

Then he needs to get players who can and will follow his directions. It is one thing if you can't do something being asked of you because it is unreasonable. It is another if you simply refuse to comply. 

I honestly think that’s where Tomlin is at with some guys. Look at Leal, Adams, Wormley, Loudermilk constantly taking wrong leverage.

They are also being asked to be something that they really are not. Adams and Wormley are better at being rotating peices, not starting. Leal and Loudermilk are young players learning. It took Cam some time before the light clicked on. We don't have Casey, Aaron, and Brett. 

At this point of the season this ain’t coaching. Especially when your defensive leaders (Heyward, Jack, Fitzpatrick) are calling out guys being in the wrong gaps. That means the right gaps are being coached. 

The coaches are responsible for the players. To further illustrate my point, there will be new faces on the defense. Tyson will be gone. I doubt Bush is back unless he does a Edmunds type of deal. They will be looking for Upgrades!!! Don't be surprised if some position coaches are not back as well.

I’m sorry but this is the extra type of blame on the wrong guys that kinda just grinds my gears. You can’t blame every player mistake on bad coaching. At some point it is just players not taking direction and in season, there’s not a whole lot you can do about that.