2023-Looking Ahead

BStanRamFan

Also, Brown has the Asst HC title already.  Unless it was one of those "McVay isn't going to block one of his guys if they're getting the opportunity to get play-calling opportunities," technically we could block any interview that wasn't for a HC position.

• Like 1

How can we clear 30 million.. Can we cut Arob? We need to trade jalen. We need to restructure Donald’s and Kupps deal. How much do we save on those 2 alone? 

We need to cut Floyd. We need to retool and build a Oline.. 

Javon Hargrave..

Orlando Brown…

David Long..

Daron Payne..

Josh Jacobs..

Saquan..

I’ll love to get 2 of these guys. We need a RB would love Josh or Barkley in our roster. I can’t with cam or lame RBs like Henderson. We need a threat at the RB position badly. 

With both West Divisions paired with North Divisions for interconference play in 2023, each NFC West team will play 6 games in the Eastern and Central Time zones (and possibly, abroad). Thus, each NFC West team is tied for the fewest road games they will play outside the Mountain and Pacific Time Zones in 2023.

Cutting or trading away standout players just to turn around give Top-5-positional (rest assured, the strong majority of the guys Rammy listed are going to ask for and get exactly that) contracts is bass-ackwards.

We'll retool contracts and kick money down the road the way we have for the past 5 years, the way these contracts were designed to unfold when they were offered and executed (not doubt with an understanding that this was the plan).  It won't create a ton a space, but it will give us the flexibility to bring in a cap-casualty guy to fill a hole the way we have the past several seasons.  I know it's hard, but people just have to be patient.

OL is largely going to come down to health and coaching.  It's not like quite a few teams haven't built effective OL's in a different way than the Cowboys have (i.e. 1st or 2nd round picks at virtually every position).  Of the teams playing this weekend, there Philly has 3 players on their OL taken in the first 2 rounds, one of which hasn't even been able to crack their starting line save for injury in the length of his rookie deal; Kansas City, outside of big ticket free agent/trade acquisitions Joe Thuney and Orlando Brown built their OL pretty much entirely on late 3rd's or later picks - and actually coaching them up.  Cincy spent beaucoup FA bucks AND draft picks on their OL and still only a negligible improvement.  OL is about chemistry.  You can't have chemistry when game-to-game, sometimes even half-to-half, there are different guys inserted in next to you because of injuries.

Another edge opposite Floyd will come the way pretty much all edge guys that aren't picked with Top 20 picks end up on teams: Someone takes a shot on them and gets a discount because of some perceived "deficiency" in their game and coaches figure out how to scheme that away (and if they have high-level college production, that carries over more times than not whether they're uber-testers or not) or the team that drafted/signed them decides they don't want to pay them what they're scheduled to earn and they sign a 1-year prove-it deal with a contender or historically-strong defense that will allow them to make a case for why they should get that lucrative contract the following year (if they aren't offered it out the gate, though presumably said team doing that would just pick them up off of waivers on their existing deal).

One thing I will say is that for all the bluster I saw on Twitter (and not a on here, at least not with an consistency) about wanting to get rid of Raheem, with Fangio, Ejiro, and (to a degree, it wouldn't have been a straight 1-to-1 transition because of different approaches and concepts) Flores off the DC market, if Raheem is hired away (presumably only the Colts left in that camp and I expect Irsay to dig his heels in for Saturday), there's all of 2 DC candidate that I can even feel remotely comfortable bring in.  One of those I've seen have mixed results as a DC in the past, that being Steve Wilkes.  The other being a guy with no play-calling experience but that does have experience with our personnel, that being bringing back Aubrey Pleasant.

2 minutes ago, Rrrrrrrams said:

move on from what? sean mcvay's defense?
if thats the case you want to move on from sean mcvay?

Id rather get the picks for Raheem and bring in a new DC. The defense was solid overall, especially inside the 20, but another year of playing 45 yards off the ball on 3rd and 1 is going to be painful to watch. Especially when it’s to win a game and we need a stop and his defense allows a team to dink and dunk and score with ease. Not to mention having the best cover corner in the league and throwing him off his game by making him a top run defender Instead. I’m convinced Jalen has way too much on his plate and he’s giving up plays because of it. 

just my opinion though 

12 hours ago, Rrrrrrrams said:

move on from what? sean mcvay's defense?
if thats the case you want to move on from sean mcvay?

Pretty much this.  People do get that "McVay's defensive philosophy" and ultimately it's also "Staley's defensive philosophy - he just approaches it from a run-funnel perspective" is dependent upon the offensive creating opportunities for the defense: The offense creates a point-expectation differential for the opposition to have to keep pace with, thus forcing them into a more one-dimensional approach and throwing them off their gameplan, and effectively making them more predictable.  It's a chess player's approach to football, in that you're looking 3+ moves ahead in how you're trying to guide your opponent's behavior.  If the offense isn't able to do its part, the defense isn't regularly equipped to carry its load AND the offense's - and we saw that this season.  The defense effing tried and even if we'd have had the pieces that we lost to free agency on defense, it wouldn't have been enough to offset the math because - very similar to the way that Dungy and Monte Kiffin built those Tampa and Indy defenses - the defensive scheme was predicated on making opposition chase you and being able to take advantage of that.  It's not terribly different from what Jonathan Gannon has been doing in Philly this season - same basic principle, which is why the Eagles were are their best when they could establish 1st half (and having the strongest Q2 in the league this season) leads and force opposition to have to chase them.

In that kind of scheme, you're not really concerned with "minimizing the amount that's scored against you" as a whole, but rather controlling the game and that includes the clock.  It's why I don't love the aesthetic and view of playing soft coverage and preventing big plays, but I understand why we do it.  We have coaches and analysts that have done the maths.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, MDY10 said:

Looks like Raheem is coming back. Mixed feelings about it for me. I’d rather have been able to move on but it is what it is. 

I would've agreed before all of the DCs that couldn't been a good fit got scooped up. At this point, I'd much rather just bring him back than pick from the scraps that are left. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, JonStark said:

I would've agreed before all of the DCs that couldn't been a good fit got scooped up. At this point, I'd much rather just bring him back than pick from the scraps that are left. 

Yeah that’s fair, I actually do agree with this.